Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No idea which option would bring in more money for you. How did it go with the free version of Brightridge? I.e. do you know conversion rates?

Gut feeling approach:
    Your games are decicedly not mainstream, so you won't gain much/anything by pandering to the "free" crowd. Price it at whatever seems reasonable to you.
    I'd even go so far and charge, say, 2 bucks for a limited version with a 3 bucks full unlock.

Oh, and: blue-haired girl looks great, can we play as her?

2. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Yeah - i think i should stick with my gut too - a simple, well priced game with no surprise costs

With the c# thing i want to avoid new potentially complicated code

Thank you for the feedback:)

Blue hair girl is Nepto - yes you can play her:) She's a major character in Vandgels. Other playables include Sentri, Ambassador Gish and Empra Aria

its funny because i actively didnt think anyone would notice her in that pic:)

3. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    I'd agree with the suggestion to stick with a full priced game, if you were to try and tap into the free market I'd agree that having the app free with unlockabke main quest would be the way to go - but I'm not sure if you'd really see much in the way of increased revenue from that

I do think $1-2 is very cheap for a game like this tho, even priced $3-4.99 it's a bargain, I just think it needs more publicity when it's launched - reaching out to TA, Gamevice (assuming mfi controller support) might help there.

Apple really should be using the game to show off the graphical prowess of their devices, but I wouldn't be sure how you'd be able to flag it up to them to see the game

4. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks stelph - im actually going to put BrightRidge up to "regular" price, which is right in the middle of your estimate - $3.99 Its been free or 1$ or 2$ for almost 2 years on perpetual sale - i should value it a bit more because Its much more finished since it began, with two adventures, an explore mode and an open world:) I have a problem underselling myself and it may not sell but i think it will be good for my mental health to put it up for a bit:)

More Vandgels screenshots coming later - i put in 36 Lookouts around the world. Theyre going to replace these things called viewdots in BrightRidge - little pink dots that had lore. Im also changing the way you find new shapechanges in explore mode in Vandgels - now they will be found in ruins that dot the land that you can explore a bit - i feel that Vandgels is much tighter:)

[​IMG]

5. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Nimian Legends : Ookstergot

[​IMG]

The full set?

Nimian Legends : BrightRidge
    Nimian Legends : Vandgels
    Nimian Legends : Residi Bay
    Nimian Legends : GoldenWood
    Nimian Legends : The Bone Sea
    Nimian Legends : Ookstergot

:)

6. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    I think $3.99 is more than fair - actually having thought about it some more I think having paid quests could work if you wanted to move to a free model - so every time you added a quest it would cost X amount to unlock the new quest which would help add a revenue stream as you continually support each app?

7. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thats the idea:) I think for now i will stick with straight pricing, mostly because i am technologically streatched thin, and in app purchase might add a lot of complexity for me. I did just change the price to 3.99$ for now. i think its worth it, although im sure it will impact sales negatively, i think its good for my development, and the games development, to try pricing it at something thats good for the game and my own self worth - a big part of being a solo dev is i have to try and remember to believe in myself. Sometimes i look at it and think its all just junk.

Vandgels structure is a bit different than BrightRidge. There are 36 lookouts to enjoy the view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Vandgels brings back old favorites like Ents and Dracozids, and brings new wildlife like griffins and reindeer, who love the colder climate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Vandgels update: the roads are going in now. And instead of the small towers, Vandgels' Ruins are now where you will find new shapechanging powers. Time to explore!

[​IMG]

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Finally installed this on iPad PRO 10.5"

In short: wow

Longish, wow, high frame rate, but a tag soft to my eyes, and I am making a video of it

11. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Oh awesome currymutton - thanls for letting me know

If you have optimal suggestions for the settings you use in Options > Settings > Quality and Resolution, i will set those as defaults for ipad pro in the next update

Vandgels is going amazing. the world is much bigger, much taller, and the citadel where the story takes place is almost done. ill be releasing the beta with explore mode shortly with the story and full release soon - i have to admit im very very happy with it, and it is takinga fraction of the time to develop compared to BrightRidge

Ill also be bringing back some improvements from Vandgels to BrightRidge - including a big boost to performance (vandgels is 4 times the size but runs smoother) and a big upgrade to the look of BrightRidge's terrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Tried maxing out everything and urg! Frames begin to skip on Pro 10.5!

Any advice on setting? :D

13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback:) And I'm not surprised. Now that ive been building Vandgels im shocked out how heavy BrightRidge is and that it could even run on earlier devices. I don't have any suggestions but I do think that nothing will run everything maxed out yet. But i did learn from Vandgels a lot of optimizations - vandgels has almost all the detail but uses a third of the memory, and when its released, im going back to brightridge with my new tech and will be vastly reducing the memory use, which should speed up all things considerably. There will be a vandgels beta soon and i hope you can test it on your pro and see if there is a big improvement:)

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Nimian Legends : Vandgels Teaser

Alpha footage from my iPad Air 2

15. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Any news on the Vangels beta? Or how its all developing?

16. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Hm I’m not exactly sure what’s wrong. When I had an iPhone 6 Plus this game wasn’t even playable for me just had constant crashes and turning all the graphic settings down as low as I could just made it look so terrible it just wasn’t worth it. Now I have an iPhone 8 Plus sporting The currently unbeatable A11 bionic and still the game is unplayable. Less crashing more skipping now not smooth at all. I turn down all settings it looks terrible running fps around 30. So I’m not blaming anything , but am I doing something wrong here? I mean is anyone else using an iPhone 8 plus having any issues as well?

17. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Hi stelph:) Sorry for the long delay - ive been swamped at my day job, and overcoming a big technical challenge with the game engine that i THINK has been solved. Ive been working on Vandgels too. Ive finished the new atmospheres and the citadel, and am working on the rivers and waterfalls - i have to find the right paths for them that are natural and am experimenting with a spawn system that helps me place them i natural locations. once these are done ill put out the Explorateur Mode version of the beta to try.

[​IMG]

18. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Hey dbagga84. Thanks so much for this feedback. Ive already had 2 other similar messages about the iPhone 8 Plus. Im not sure, but i think there is something with BrightRidge on that device. I also had a similar problem with the iPhone 6 plus and poor performance. So far the iPhone 6splus runs great and i believe the 7+ does too, so i am going to try and track this down.

What would really help is could you start the game and go straight to options > settings > quality > resolution and tell me what the words, if any, say on that page?

i have a few theories im investigating

One is that the plus phones render the image twice because they render it first at 2000 something pixels and then downsample that to 1920x1080, but that doesnt explain why it'd be ok on a 6s+.

Another is more obvious - i havent added detection code for the iphone 8's because they are so new. I am working on a new BrightRidge beta to test that detects this and sets the resolution from the start.

Another is Unity - ive been using an old version of Unity - 5.2 - for the last few years because newere versions proved too unstable for mobile. But i was recently able to upgrade the sequel to Unity 5.6, and am working to backport this to BrightRidge. Sometimes there are bugs with unity and Metal performance, and i am wondering if there is a specific Plus bug that might be fixed in the newer version.

Its definitely a concern and high on my priority list, although i have to approach it one step at a time. But if you can let me know what it says on the resolution screen that will help a lot. Also if you want you can send me your email to robert at protopop dott com and i will add you to both beta lists. I would like to see if the sequel Vandgels, which is running almost twice as fast in general than BrightRidge, suffers on an 8plus as well, and you can be among the first to try the BrightRidge update when it is ready.

19. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
  20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Looks awesome as usual ;)
    I especially like the first pic, looks like those old glass mosaic church windows. 2nd one looks like a spaceship landed on a mountaintop, and 4th like you are inside it.
    Also, second and fourth pic: the world looks much larger than Brightridge, which is great; not sure though if it’s an optical illusion or really the case.

I hope that swamped in your day job means the money comes rolling in nicely ;)

Also good to hear that you finally could upgrade to a newer Unity version, Vangdels running twice as fast sounds great - more room for all the cool bells and whistles.