Fruit Ninja $400 000 a month

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, Jul 13, 2012.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Hoe exactly do Fruiut Ninja make $400,000 a month?

2. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Where did you read that?

3. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
  4. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I guess you missed the "300 million downloads" part at the bottom. :)

5. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Fruit Ninja is a top selling and top downloaded title across multiple platforms.

Being in the top 10 paid downloads in the US App Store alone is enough to get you US$100k or more a month.

6. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    ads

So really ads make most of that cash?

7. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    No. Smashing success makes most of that cash. If you can get a game to the top, figuring out how to monetize it is the easy part. The hard part is making your game a household name.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You have to be pretty inept to not make tons of money when you've got millions upon millions of daily active users. Just so happens, the people who are in charge of this sort of stuff at Halfbrick are super smart, so they're extracting a ton of money even from their free users. ;)

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    When our game, Flick Kick Field Goal, was in the top 10 paid chart in the US in November, the free version, Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff, which doesn't have as much content and wasn't even in the top 20 free chart was making twice as much per day.

10. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

#10 Razoric, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    I've even made a good bit of money off my one iPhone game to warrent reinvesting. Just bought the Unity 4 license not too long ago as well as a new macbook (i programmed BB1 on a tiny, old macbook that I bought used).

You'd be surprised how well you can do if you make a decent product and get the word out. I never topped any charts btw.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Absolutely!

People understandably get drawn into these epic sales figures for the usual suspects and most other devs then complain that if you're not in the top 10/25/100 you can't make money.

We've been out of the top 200 all games chart for many months with our main game and it's still dribbling in enough cash to keep the lights on.

I guess it depends more on your own expectations than anything else. We'd all love speedboats and ferraris but back in the real world I'm happy if my mortgage gets paid and I can go to Spain once a year.

12. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Well,

Maybe instead of trying to go myself then why not helm me and share the cash?
    I have a game as big as Draw IT