Finn in 1989 Promo Code Contest

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Deeper Games, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Deeper Games

Deeper Games Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    To celebrate the release of my first game, I'm giving away 10 free promo codes for Finn in 1989.

Rules to get a promo code:
    • * Add a comment to this post describing what recent game or book makes you feel nostalgic for the 1980s.
    • * Ask me anything about making a game with my family.
    • * I'll send you a promo code.

About Deeper Games:

Deeper Games is a family run indie studio based out of Seattle, WA. We make games rooted in nostalgia for the 80's, and we reminisce about technology that our son thinks are antiques.

About Finn in 1989

This is a love letter to the 80's, and any fans of interactive fiction. This is for the fans of Stranger Things, Ready Player One, anyone who stayed up all night playing Nintendo, and fans of interactive fiction.

Finn in 1989 is a playable, interactive story of survival against all odds. A young boy discovers he's lost in time with only his backpack and his walkie-talkie. Help young Finn make life or death decisions, and unearth the mystery behind his disappearance.

2. Nst72

Nst72 Active Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Living in the UK,the recent Console/pc game Lumo is a great nostalgic game for the old computer games of the zx spectrum.
    Did your family help with any ideas and nostalgia you never thought of putting in?

3. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Our 10 year old son created a few soundtracks with his iPad for me, but we're still working on them.. perhaps for the sequel? lol. The artwork for the cover was done by my husband (who's also working on getting a webpage up and running for me as we speak).

I'll have to check out Lumo again... did you know the ZX Spectrum has been Kickstarted again? http://www.specnext.com/

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Congrats on your new game! 868-HACK is a recent rogue-like with old-school sensibilities that I've been enjoying.

Are any characters in your game influenced by any members of your family?

5. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Thanks CD! added 868-HACK to my list... Finn himself is basically a blend of myself and our son. Our son completely geeks out about his iPad games like i did with the NES.. and quotes Monty Python too. One other character is based on a childhood dog, but I can't say too much ;)

6. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Visiting my father this weekend and while digging around amongst old comics for my boys I found a magazine for Commodore Vic 20 gaming. Now that's nostalgia! Imagine nowadays typing in the code yourself before you could play a game. Actually it wasn't al that really was it?

My question for you is how on earth do you convince your son the 80s were cool enough to make a game about them? My9 and 11 year old boys think I'm some kind of fossil

7. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    @pisiform Our son read the entire game and didn't quiet get some of the references, but everything seems to come back in style after 30+ years right? As for the Commodore Vic 20 I haven't seen one of those in a long time... makes me want to start collecting the old consoles and get the game room going for us.

8. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Absolutely. Off to play your game now. Looking forward to it. Nostalgia beckons...

Attached Files:

9. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi congrats for releasing this good looking game.
    The recent game that make me feel nostalgia is Retro City Rampage.
    What's the next game you and your family will make next? Will you release games on other systems too? Thanks

10. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Nostalgia about the 80's lately would have to be Stranger Things and Ready Player One. Especially the book RP1. Reminded me of so many things from my youth. Me and my brother have been thinking about coding together lately. Do you find there is any issues with respecting each other's time when working with family? Just wondering considering there are no boundaries in my family. If I get a promo code I appreciate it. Other wise I am sure I'll be checking this one out.

11. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
  12. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Stranger things and Ready Player One

Good lord I can't wait until Oct for season 2 of stranger things... the Duffer Brothers should direct the movie version of Finn in 1989 ;)

As for working with family, it's been challenging to get on the same page for when we work together... he's not always motivated to work when I am, and sometimes I'm not. So being patient has been a learning curve. As for our son, he's wanting to watch over my shoulder all the time... so perhaps having some space apart from your brother would help? I'll have to think about you question more...

13. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    I've still got a couple codes left out of my first batch.

14. barx55

barx55 Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Hello, I have got that nostalgic feeling for the 1980's since playing "The Video Game" it reminds me of some old Atari games and is a lot like "PaperBoy". So will the family be all contributing on future games and updates? Best regards and thanks in advance I hope for a code.

15. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    I was going for a 80's movie poster vibe... I'll totally take Paperboy ;) As for the family, yeah they are continuing to be very interested in helping me out. Though to be honest I think our son wants to start making his own game now.

16. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Dead cells is the most recent game that has brought back those memories. Makes me feel like im playing a mix of ninja gaiden and castlevania.

Did your family play a bunch of old games and watch old movies to get in the right mind set while making this game?

17. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Dead cells looks fantastic... I purchased during the summer sale so I'll have to play once I've got this game underway more. :)

I pretty much live in a constant state of nostalgia... so of course I've had to educate my son on the NES, and some of our favorite movies are Space Balls, Flight of the Navigator, and The Last Starfighter. I don't think he understands why people go into booths to call people in those movies though. ;)

18. Deeper Games

Jul 11, 2017
    Had to dig this up as I think i missed it when it first came out. [​IMG]

19. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Dead Cells really is awesome. Speaking of awesome, I am really enjoying the game. Really like the vibe so far, and some funny moments. More importantly the character is likeable. Will post a full review on itunes when i have dug more deeply into it. Thanks again for the promo code, but this is definitely worth the money.

20. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I don't know what 80's nostalgia is because I wasn't born then but one of the few games that released from that era are probably retro Rampage City. I think that's the one I played. And other quest for you and your family is what inspired you to make this game?