Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Dazarath, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #1 Dazarath, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/25/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-crawls-onto-iphone-ipad/

I would pay well for a port of the English version. I really liked this genre when I was young, but everything I've found on the App Store was pretty low quality. W:LoLS would easily be 100x better than anything else available.

Official website: http://www.acquire.co.jp/smartphone/wizardry/

2. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I will be so psyched if they offer it in North America. I've read that it was already translated for an English version that was published on the PS3, so I'm not sure what the hangup is.

3. Dazarath

Mar 21, 2010
    Yup. http://www.wizardryps3.com/

If they're already porting the Japanese version, seems like it shouldn't be too much trouble to port the English version later if they so wish.

4. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    It says iOS version will be FREE

5. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Has anyone heard any news on this lately? I'm super stoked for its release, but it seems like the trail has gone cold. Hopefully an iOS port is still in the cards.

6. Dazarath

Mar 21, 2010
    AFAIK, the port for the Japanese version has already been made, but I haven't heard of any plans to port the English version. Seems strange though, as they now have the iOS port for the game, and the English translation already exists from the PS3 version.

7. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    That is interesting indeed! If all of the pieces are more or less done, I wonder why there's a hold up? I mean I know that something was said about this game being released as a free title, but I would DEFINITELY pay good money for this game! Here's hoping for a speedy localization. :)

8. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    I've similarly heard that it was released to the Japanese App Store about a month ago.

On the topic of it being free, my understanding is that it downloads as a free title, with access to the first level (or so) of the dungeon. Players then need to make an in-app purchase to unlock the majority of the game.

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, either way, I'm down for the "Freemium" pricing structure if that's what they want to do. I grew up on the Wizardry series, so this game has gotten me REALLY excited. Truthfully, I just want it to come out in the US period! :-D

10. Dazarath

Mar 21, 2010
  11. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
  12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Fan-freaking-tastic!

13. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    +100 to that!! :-d

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Hey, will the 3GS be supported? But the article says "for iPhone and iPod touch", so I guess the 3rd gen devices are in?

Heh, I wonder that even the TA-staff hadn't noticed this big upcoming title... there was nothing on the front page yet. But I guess the front page announcement will come soon, now that there is this thread.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #15 Vovin, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Just 3 hrs gone? OMG, I can't wait.

But I've now read that it will be compatible with 4th gen devices only. :(

It's because of the high resolution graphics.
    Dammit.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Funny how that quote doesn't mention the iPhone 4.

Not having played this before, to be honest I can't see why this is so good. Dungeons of Dredmor looks much more attractive to me... Any particular reason some of you are excited?

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #17 Vovin, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

First, I made a typo. It shows the iP4. ;)

Second, this is one of the most difficult games ever (speak of dying a lot and helluva steep learning curve and even pulled-out bundles of hair) but also the most rewarding. A very cool dungeon crawler!

edit: noticed that they also said "upon release", so maybe 3rd gens are added later? Would be nice. Hmmm... any chance to lure the devs to this thread? ;)

18. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I guess it really just depends on your age range. I grew up playing Wizardry 6 & 7, so that's where I cut my proverbial "RPG teeth." That, for one, is why I'M so freakin' excited about this game!! :-D Now with this AND the Legend of Grimrock coming to iOS I'm super excited!!

19. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    I'm so excited about this release. The first Wizardry game, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, provided my introduction to CRPGs almost 30 years ago. I don't know much about this new PS3 port, but I'll definitely buy it and support the franchise.

20. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    AWESOME! :D Still waiting for the EU PSN release of this, guess i'll have to do with the iOS version. :)