"No retina display, no sale!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #1 tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I don't understand how someone can whine and protest about a game just because it doesn't cater to their specific device...

All of the "Boo hoo! This game doesn't support my fancy new display, so I'm not going to buy it! Hehe! That'll show them!" crap really needs to stop. It's embarrassing, shallow, and it's only going to chase developers out of the app store.

Are games without "retina display" REALLY that bad? Did you mind them before "retina display" was an option? Of course you didn't. So stop acting like babies, and try to show a little respect and appreciation.

2. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    #2 270Kp, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    How many threads like this are you gonna make? I mean seriously, we get it! I still will buy a game without retina, but if it comes down to two $.99 games I want, and I only have a buck, I'm going to choose the one with retina.

3. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
  4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    IT just is a FACT, that once you are used the retina, you really can't stand the old display anymore. In fact, for me, it was one of the reasons not to buy a first-gen iPad. I simply thought it is looking ugly compared to the retina. This display is so fantastic, you have to have it to know what I'm talking about. And then, things like Epic Citadel simply blow you away... and also smaller games like Ninjatown look totally different in high-res. But what is a great display without the right content?

5. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    You would feel like most games are not as good if you had retina display..... Because I had a 1st gen then got 4th and realized how bad games looked with no retina display

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I'd never rate an app poorly for not supporting retina display. But it certainly does influence my purchase.
    About 90% of the games that I've bough since I got my iPhone 4 have been games that support retina display. And I don't buy games without retina display unless they're really special. The retina display is a great feature and I like to see developers using it. In the future, probably all newly released apps will support retina display, so I like to only buy retina display games. Also it's a good way to decrease the amount of money you spend. After all it's my money, so I can choose what to do with it.

7. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
  8. Rhokk

Rhokk Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    No offense man but someone chooses to not buy a game based on well... anything he decides, then thats his choice right? This is a forum where people come and talk about things. Seems to me like your complaining about other people complaining.

9. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    He does have retina display...he's got a 4th generation too.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Inbeforemerge

11. Risco

Risco Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I actually only joined because I saw your rediculous posts. People do buy games that are non retina, but Sega are taking the mickey charging £5.99 for a very short game that has no retina support. Gameloft games look great and they are updating all their catalogue. Sega are much bigger than them, so it is unforgivable not to have native resolution. If Sega had released it at £2.99 I would have jumped on it, but I won't on principle. I have over 8GB of games ( not all installed ) for my iPhone are not all are native resolution. The last time I bought a £5.99 game I got burned ( Pro Evo Soccer ) it dropped to £2.99 inside a week, hence I will wait.

12. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I look at it like this, the most people don't buy it for lack of retina support the more pressure devs will get to add it and make sure they add it.

I can understand if the game was made prior to the i4 and it's a game that didn't sell well in the first place.

But when you have HIGHLY publicized games releasing today without retina support it really doesn't make sense.

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Yeah releasing games to play on 10's of millions of devices as opposed to 5 million makes no sense at all.

14. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

You joined to show us your epeen? How nice of you.

15. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    pointless thread, why do you care what we buy and what we don't buy? you also sound sort of jealous to me...

16. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    As an iPad owner, I really have very little sympathy for the retina crybabies.
    I'd much prefer that developers focus on making games Universal!
    ;)

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No it isn't. It's a fact that if that's your frame of mind, it's working against you.

18. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    That thread is mostly about 1 star reviews.

This thread is about people not buying games just because they don't have retina support.

Subtle difference.

A fact, eh? Look at the device I use. I've seen RETINA DISPLAY in all its glory, and I'm still able to enjoy games without it.

:rolleyes:

There is plenty of content available for retina:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=64776

19. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    I don't buy games without retina. Now what? How are you gonna make me change my mind?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No, we're just gonna laugh at you when you're out of range.