How abstract is Neuroshima Hex?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I think I spelled the name wrong; hence no search results showed up. Its on sale and I'm thinking about purchasing it, but 2 issues are holding me back:
    1) It looks like multiplayer requires registration instead of using gamecenter. Anyone know if there are a decent number of players?

2) I tried the lite version many moons ago. It seems pretty abstract, with a steep learning curve. Usually I give up before I figure games like this out unless there are "tool-tips" to help me grasp the gameplay.

3) One last thing: there are a bunch of armies which are unlocked via in-app purchases. Does the base game have enough meat without buying the extra armies?

4) Last LAST thing: is it an enjoyable single-player game?

BTW, any opinions on Caylus are welcome too.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #2 the9quad, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    My advice is to wait for neuroshima hex puzzle to go on sale, play that. If you don't like that then skip it. Puzzle is essentially a tutorial, the best tutorial ever.

3. Makaze

Makaze Active Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    #3 Makaze, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    It is on sale currently.

Neuroshima Hex is probably my most played game to date and that's mostly just playing against the AI.

1. You have to register because NS uses it's own play server but you can invite people to games via email address or Game Center. Usually there are 3-16 people hanging out in the multiplayer lobby when I log in.

2. I felt learning the basic play of the game wasn't too bad. It's just figuring out the order in which units attack so you can plan your damage and defenses. I think what takes the most time is learning the special abilities of pieces since the game starts you with four different armies. I'd go to the help button to get information on units for maybe 3-4 days before I started remembering them all.

3. The base game is four armies which provides a good mix to play with. Each additional army just has units and HQs with new abilities. I'd say stick with the base set until you get a hang of those armies. If you like the game, then go ahead and pick up the other armies later. Big Daddy Creations is pretty good about running sales every so often so you can wait on the additional armies if your worried about getting the armies cheaply.

4. I play more single player than multiplayer but that's probably because I play at strange times or just want a quick game while I'm killing a little time. The AI is a pretty decent challenge.

The forum thread for this game is located here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67310

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Get Neuroshima Hex Puzzle to learn how to play Neuroshima Hex.

5. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    That's what I tried to say above, plus it is a really fun single player logic puzzle.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ah, my bad. Sped read too quickly.

I had more fun wit NH Puzzle than the actual game. I got this feeling that Neuroshima Hex is best played with friends face to face as your complex chain wipes out their intricate plans...