Finally, iTunes 11

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by backtothis, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    What about a fix for iPod touch 4g so I can redownload my music and apps from my iPod

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Its pretty good actually. The new mini player is by far the best feature. Everything about itunes feels way snappier now. I missed the sidebar at first, but I decided to try using it without the sidebar for a while as I think I will like it better after a while. The only thing that bothers me is the icon sizes for apps, movies, and tv shows. They are huge. I cannot seem to find a slider or setting to adjust this anywhere either. Overall though, a much needed overhaul for itunes.

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Bigger piece 'o crap than the last one, so far. Or make that DTHMXSoftwarePage.WhatIsNew and SFReleaseDate.postedDate pieces of crap. The Windows version, at least, has raw code bits peeking out everywhere and really lousy formatting, with menus overwriting other menus and stuff like that.

4. Is there any way to prevent the iCloud music files from appearing?

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Is there any way to make iTunes tell me how many songs and apps I have in total anymore? And yeah, everything is so damn big. Looks nice though.

The "Up Next" selection on iTunes 11 is probably the best improvement. About freaking time iTunes got the feature.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The iCloud streaming is great! I'm considering getting iTunes Match now. I hope they bring iCloud streaming to iOS next. So far I like iTunes 11 quite a bit. Good stuff.

If you do want to hide iCloud songs, you can turn them off by going into Preferences -> Store -> Show iTunes in the Cloud Purchases. Turn that off and the iCloud songs won't show up.

7. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    sweet. the truth, i always found iTunes to be extremely bloated. It's way too slow on my laptop pc and it shouldn't be - it's not a rendered, complex calculation software. it's just iTunes. I wish Apple would come up with some simpler iTunes, that will focus more on speed and functionality and less on design.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I stopped updating iTunes when Apple stopped updating my iPod the way I see it is it only ever kept getting worse anyway.

I think iTunes is one of the main things that pushed me away from Apple honestly apart from the buggyness of the windows version it's also a total space hog.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I agree, I can't stand iTunes for the most part.

10. Thanks, I must have missed that while going through the settings.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    So is the Windows version any better now? I am running it on a Mac and it works well there, but it always worked pretty well on Macs. It's hard to say yet if it performs better or not. A friend of mine download it for Windows and seems to like it, but I'm not sure if he had any problems with it before or not.

12. I don't like itunes, and hate syncing to a computer cause I don't own one anymore. They gotta get some icloud solution to backing up our game saves and music in the cloud. More and more people are getting away from computers and going tablets, so something has to be done soon I hope.

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't mind iTunes as a music player, hate using it to manage my music/apps on an iPod/iPad. I avoid it as a content manager as much as possible.

I'm even thinking of buying a Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player so I won't need my iPod Touch anymore.

But again, as a music player I don't mind iTunes. I actually like the new mini player. Really nice.

14. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Anyone else having problems with iTunes showing the latest version of apps? On Windows here, and while it will show me my list of apps ready for updating, if I click on the app name (or even search the store for the app) it seems all I'm seeing is the last version of the app, and the download/update button is grayed out.

I can download from the update page, but I'm not about to do that without reading the update notes.

15. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I passionately hate the new, separate pop-up window for viewing download status. Why make this so much harder to find and access?

16. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I can't even find that pop-up window. How do you open it?

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd be happier if it was just a music player and app manager. Get rid of everything to do with the store, that's where it bloats up.

18. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Not sure I like the lack of the sidebar. I love just opening iTunes, clicking my personal playlist and getting back to work. Not sure I want an entire sub-menu for them.

I'm also not keen on the big album covers either....again I prefer just seeing all the tracks listed without needing to click a specific cover. Plus, I don't have that much cover art, so it'll just be a wall of white!

Think I'll keep to my old old version, for now.

19. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    There is an option to enable/disable the sidebar.
    There are plenty of viewing options, so you can view a list of songs (organized by pretty much anything) instead of a bunch of album covers.

After using 11 for a few days, I'd say it's a great improvement over previous versions. "Up Next" is particularly well done and is definitely a feature I can see all music programs imitating in the future. The album view is slick, especially how it detects the colors in the art before changing the color of the track titles, track info, and the background. There's also no lag when switching to store: it doesn't have to update every time. No features from past versions are missing, and I'd recommend every make the switch.