Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    4inch6.png 4inch5.png 4inch4.png 4inch3.png 4inch2.png 4inch1.png

Hello! I'm launching a new game soon, named Five Card Quest. This is a new genre for us, the game is my take on the turn based tactical RPG. You're fighting through a dungeon with randomized battles, and you're telling your heroes what to moves to do by playing one of the five action cards in your hand.

Besides doing damage, your action cards can change your characters positions, interrupt or block incoming enemy attacks, apply debuffs, and more. What characters you have in your party determines your possible cards. There are even cards that also let you drop a couple unwanted cards out of your hand, in hopes of drawing a better move.

Like you can expect from our games, it's really challenging. The battles are random, and every move you do matters. Since both your characters and the enemies do so much damage, preventing incoming damage is really important. You can see enemy attacks coming, so you have time to deal with them. Everything is also pretty deterministic, there's no chance-to-miss and all attacks do a predictable value for damage.

Here's a short preview video, I'll probably make another video on the release of the game:

I'd like to do more story-focused RPGs based on this one if people like it enough. This game's mostly about the tactics inside and strategy outside the fights.

We don't have an exact release date yet, but it's likely to be out within a month.

I'll be here to answer questions!

2. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    This looks pretty cool I like the art style for sure gl.

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Thanks! Yeah, we're trying something different with it.

4. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Looks fantastic. Could you describe how you ended up with the art style, which differs substantially from that of previous Rocketcat Games?

Also, how is the dungeon portion going to work? It seems all of the screens and videos only show tactical combat.

Finally, premium?

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I've always been really interested in this kind of low-poly style, ever since Out of This World. It's also inspired by the more recent Nightmare Cooperative. It's vector art that resembles 3D art.

The dungeon works like the iPhone home screen. It's a map of rooms you can swipe on to scroll, and you reveal more rooms as you fight through battles. You tap on a room to look at what's inside. You can even see what enemies are in a room before you enter the fight.

Premium, $3, no IAP.

6. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    excited to try this one... Nightmare Cooperative was a great game! I've never been unsatisfied with a RocketCat game... just promise me you are working your butts off to make sure DRTC is coming to iOS!

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Nightmare Cooperate was really good.

Death Road to Canada is a similar engine to the one used to make Punch Quest, so it should be easy to get it on iOS. We just need to figure out the menus and so on.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nice!

Looking forward to this one! :D

9. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This looks great. I can't wait to try it.

10. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I'll instabuy anything Rocket Cat puts out for sure

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    As soon as I saw the trailer, I thought 'Nightmare Cooperative 2' (still my fav roguelike ever...too bad for Lucky Frame).
    This looks really awesome....the mention of Another World too makes the hype unbearable.
    Really, REALLY looking forward this one and the dev track record is just the icing on the cake.

Something I didn't understand....if it is even story based (would be awesome) or a more story oriented game in this vein is possible if this one is succeful?

I love pure rogue like too but some story would be awesome.

Can't wait!!!

12. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Looks interesting. I'm wondering, as you make your way through dungeons, are these "cards" just randomly generated, or is there a phase where you're building a deck or such? I can't tell from the video.

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Thanks! This one doesn't really have a story at all, it's all about the fighting and planning. If this one does ok, I'd like to take a try at something that's focused on telling a story. We'd already have a lot to go on for the battle system in a future game.

Each character you can recruit has their own set of cards. All the cards you have available are shuffled into a deck and drawn at random. There's no deck building in this one besides picking your characters, though this is definitely something I'd like to expand on in the future. At least something like customizing the cards for each character.

14. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Why isn't this on my iPhone right now?!!?

Reminds me of the currently soft launched Mavenfall, I usually hate any kind of card based TCG/RPG but that game I love and this one looks awesome too. Instabuy!!!!!

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks Kepa, but please stop.
    The more I read, the more the wait is unbearable.

16. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Ah. That's pretty cool, the character sets. The strategy from mixing characters will be interesting.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Why is this not on my device yet? :(

<3 Rocketcat

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Where the *hell* is Maglor to do the instabuy cat?

(emotional music plays)

19. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Looks great as usual. Hope this helps ease the wait for death road. So are there bosses ? Any unlock able stuff ?

20. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Same here.