Pop-Up Ads in Toucharcade App

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by dancj, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I understand the need to stick the odd banner here and there, but the pop-up advert in the iOS app is really getting on my nerves.

It's the kind of thing that could drive me away.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    It should only pop-up once for the duration of the ad.

arn

3. praxcelis

praxcelis Active Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It should, but is it?

4. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Is it popping up by itself more frequently than once?

arn

5. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    It popped up once for me, it's now permanent on the frontpage of the app. It's annoying, I click on the ad instead of the "News & Reviews" column. Maybe an IAP to remove the ads is a good idea, because I want to ads to be gone, and this way I can support Toucharcade too.

6. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Anti-hassle IAP would be a little annoying when it was hassle free before, but that last sentiment would compel me to pop for it too.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ha-ha! To where? Android? You ain't seen nothing yet 'til you play with THAT! :D

8. praxcelis

praxcelis Active Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Never to android. But it got in my face again this evening. Sooo, it's a guarantee that I won't click it, won't download whatever game is advertised and Ill let the publisher know I don't like it.

Can't really do more than that. Well, I could quit using the TA app and stick to the website with an ad blocker.

There's ads then there's maternal couitus ads that do nothing but get accidental clicks and piss off people.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've never seen this and I use the app daily, is it regional?

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh, I recognise that. It's in the side menu on the iPad. Not seen it in a pop up though.

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Probably only does pop up once on the smaller iDevices. It`s really not worth mentioning it since if you are using the App on a regular base you will have already forgotten that there was an ad after a few Hours :D

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

JFYI these types of ads are very carefully curated, and presented in a way that we thought was actually cool and useful. It should only pop up once a week, if it's happening more than that you likely tapped the ad on the main screen of the app on accident. :)

14. morpheus

morpheus Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    USA
    I've seen it exactly once. Big deal. For the value TA has given me over the years for free, I'm happy to click on an ad now and then.

Shock horror, TouchArcade actually needs to make money. How else should they do it? Any dev will tell you that banner ads don't generate enough money...

Would you prefer to buy an annual subscription? :eek:

15. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    It's not so bad now I know it's only once a week (though it's twice a week for me because I use the app on my iPhone and iPad).

I like the idea of an IAP to get rid of the ads though.

16. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    i think it's annoying, but TA needs to make money. the funny thing is that the game advertised (captain antarctica) TA rated only 3 stars in their review, so if they are going to advertise, they might as well advertise a game they think is good!

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I liked it.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I think you guys should talk with Madfinger and see if they want to put in some pop ups for Dead Trigger 2.

19. praxcelis

praxcelis Active Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It is annoying.

TouchArcade should be able to bring in $$$.

Both statements are true.

But should TA find a way to profit without being annoying?

Full screen pop ups like this usually have a 99% accidental click-through. Is that profitable for which ever company is running the campaign?