Creating "Buzz" about your App before it's approved?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by patflynn, Aug 16, 2009.

1. patflynn

patflynn Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Hey guys,

I'm a noob developer, and was just wondering what methods you use to create a buzz about your app before it's approved - or is this something you even do?

Or, do you just "set it and forget it" and hope for the best? I would expect the best thing to do would be to try and spread the word while it's in review, but how easy it is to do?

I believe I have a unique app that's bound for some of the top rankings, but I'm sure everyone here thinks that (as they should because we all have great ideas!), but how do we let the rest of the world know?

I won't mention my app here with the fear that I will be seen as a spammer - that's not what I'm trying to do.

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!

-Pat

2. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi Pat, welcome to TA! I highly recommend that you create "Buzz" before you even submit your App for review. You want to try and create some momentum so that people are aware of your app and looking forward to making the purchase. The "set it and forget it" would be the worst possible thing you can do, imho.

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Well as long as you are here in the TouchArcade-forums, the upcoming iPhone games section is a good place to start. If you have something great to show, show it, but as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. This might actually be an underestimate when it comes to building interest around your app. ;)

Great imagery and even better, video, seems to be the best way to create buzz among the punters. You should probably also take a look at TA's contact-page where you'll find some email-addresses that might come in handy.

So, make those YouTube-videos, some promotion artwork perhaps. Send out press-releases (prMac could be a good place to start). If you can afford it you should probably look into advertising on this or similar sites. This is fairly expensive for us small-timers but could be the thing that actually gets you your deserved attention.

Even if you do all those things, the competition is pretty stiff and just getting noticed could be even harder than creating that brilliant piece of iPhone Software Nirvana...

4. patflynn

patflynn Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Thanks Pharmx (and I'm proud to be the motivator behind your 1000th post, if I read that correctly)!

Anyways, what are some ways to create "buzz"? I've gone through the whole iphone app review website route - and I'm guessing they're backed up because I've never heard any responses yet.

I've got a website, and even a youtube video, which can only get you so much exposure it seems. I'm sure there's a little luck involved too, but let's say you have an awesome app that you know would be big if people only knew about it...how do you do this?

I'm not expecting a concrete answer, for if there was one I'm sure everyone would be doing this already, but I was just looking for some direction and insight.

Thanks again :)

-Pat

5. patflynn

patflynn Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Well said Nick. Thank you for your insight. I'll head on over to the 'upcoming iPhone app" section and post a little something there'.

I'll also check out those email addresses, and check into advertising costs and such.

All the best to you - thanks Nick.

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think you're quite right that there's not one simple answer to your question. Taking a close look at some successful apps and how the approached the build-up could be a good place to start. MiniGore seems to be the perfect example these days as they managed to build quite a following by sharing imagery and video of an, admittedly brilliant looking, game.

7. lfg_grace

lfg_grace Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Low Five Games - underling #1
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi Pat,

I wonder about this mysterious and nebulous concept of "buzz" too. If your game is well crafted and high quality, the reviewers (and consumers) will eventually take notice. It may take a while for the reviewers to respond, so don't be discouraged. We submitted Earth Vs Moon to a number of review sites over a month ago and some of the sites are now just responding. Obviously, we didn't create enough buzz to attract their attention immediately. :)

I think video is very important. Touch Arcade users often want video demonstrating gameplay, and not some sort of cinematic trailer (although that's good too).

Good luck!

8. patflynn

patflynn Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Thanks, I really do appreciate your help.

Where ever I've promoted my app so far, it seems to be getting a good response, so hopefully a reviewer or someone with some "power" will be able to give it a boost somewhere along the way.

I just put up some screenshots and a lil' info about my app in the "upcoming apps" area on touch arcade in case anyone is interested (as advised by pharmx)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=431577#post431577

I'm really fortunate to have a place like the touch arcade forum to ask for help and to exhibit the project I've been working hard on. Thanks everyone and especially Touch Arcade for your encouragement and help.