Save Data

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jfran, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jfran

jfran New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    While I'm sure this has been gone over many times (I tried searching and found nothing), I am wondering if there is a way to keep game save data after deleting an app. My iPhone is only 8GB, and 5GB are used for music... Needless to say, I need to delete apps quite frequently to make room. Any suggestions?

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    no. no way to save. :( at least i dont think

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Sure there is, you just have to jailbreak ;)

There's an app that lets you backup your apps, you can then SSH them to your computer so they're safe.

4. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Jailbreak community understands your plite, and made an app for that.
    Apple understands your plite, and made a bigger better iDevice with more storage, and a heavier price tag.

Choose your friends wisely.

5. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Actually, for non-jailbreakers, can't this be done by just backing up the device with iTunes ?

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yes..but if you want to add that game's save data back you have to restore using the backup, which means everything else gets overwritten.

7. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Ok, that's crap I admit ...

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yep ;) There are many advantages to jailbreaking. I can't believe I went 1.5 years with a stock Touch.

9. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I understand ^^

I tried once, but found my device to be less responsive, and messy.
    Plus some custom apps like Cydia were having ads, which was giving an overall feeling of cheapness. Cydia inner categories weren't clear at all to my taste, too.

Generally, it felt like my device was not being upgraded, but clumsily fiddled.

So I restored the real OS not long after ;)

Coming from an HTC TyTn II, I was used to wander in xda-developpers forum, tweak the OS and flash the ROM every single month (there were custom OS improvements very regularly).

Then I tried iPhone, and holy pooh, its clarity, fluidity and simplicity just made my whole year. So when I look back at Jailbreak, I don't regret to be using Apple's OS ^^

Personal taste, somehow.

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Lol yea I guess so. Some people just don't care about customizing it that much.

11. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Newer releases of Plus+ and OpenFeint offer the possibility to save user data on the server - so can keep your saved states when switching the device. The problem here is: developer need to implement this feature into their games. I dont know exactly which games support server-saved data like this. But at least its possible.

12. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah, i would love for my minigore kills to be saved on a server. i hate the idea of starting over... or i will never get sensei! :(

chris.

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Now that's good news :D

I think I'll use OpenFeint, looks really good.