Has SMB given up?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aspargusman, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Has super monkey ball just stopped their updates?

2. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Wow, yeah the last one was in November it says. Smaller, independent companies are so much more in tune with their fan base and what changes they want made. Huge companies make a product and unless there's a game breaking feature will only do minimal updates. It sucks. Some of the huge publishers/developers have never even done updates for some of their games that are months and months old.

3. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    That is kind of unfair to say. Large publishers put out games that are very solid at release. They don't really have many bugs and have a good amount of gameplay. Small independent devs tend to miss more bugs than let's say, Gameloft. So saying that Gameloft should update as much as "Independent Developer X" is like saying that Gameloft should release unfinished games and then update them until they are finished. It's the same with SEGA and EA. Yes some independent devs add levels to their games but chances are, the original game should have had twice as many levels.

4. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

yeah but most of the games released are quite small. Like Terminator Salvation, that was completed really quickly by alot of people. and disappointing aswell.

5. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I think sega probably got a bit intimidated by the poor reviews they got initially for it

I mean, it was an original game concept when it was brought out... just poorly implemented

I suppose they just moved on to other things and never bothered fixing it, since they probably made a ton of money off of the hype SMB generated initially anyways

That said, if a sequel comes out that includes the minigames SMB has had on other consoles, like Gamecube, I'll buy it fosho :D

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    It is now the #54 Top Paid Game is still making money for Sega. At $5.99 it does not need to be in the Top 10.

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If a game doesn't need updates it doesn't need updates. It's full, it's solid, it doesn't need for work. That's one of the pros about games from a big company. I won't be surprised if they release a sequel with DLC for extra levels, though.

8. iSmallZx

iSmallZx Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    its because known publishers wont get more sales from updates, but new games that make the consumer want to buy it. They could care less about SMB, they just want to make new games for ppl to buy instead. I know i dont like it either but all we can do is complain.