Merchant to the Stars - Out This Thursday!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hippieman, May 28, 2013.

1. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Hi Everyone,

I've been been silent for a long time. But it's because me and Mark Levin have been working on a new game. For those of you who don't know me and Mark, we are former Freeverse guys who did such games as Top Gun and Warpgate.

Merchant to the Stars is our all new game. You are a simple merchant where all the RPG heroes come to your shop to buy new weapons and sell what they find in dungeons. Buy all their loot (of different rarities), upgrade it and try to sell it back to the right hero so he can find better loot. Wash rinse repeat!

The entire game is procedurally generated, with Millions of items in the game.

The game is Universal, has Game Center and you can post the procedurally generated stories of the heroes to Facebook.

(Video says available now, but it's a sneak preview, goes live on Thursday)

Oh one last thing.

The game is $.99 and has NO IAP.

Hit me up with questions, comments, etc... And you can follow me on twitter @hippiemanx

Attached Files:

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    I'll grab a copy, for sure. Looks cool and I actually was waiting for this. :)

Wish it were Thursday already.

3. haveblue

haveblue Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I'm really glad we can finally break cover on this; it's exciting to release a finished, focused game. No roadblocks, no tricks, no clever strategy to drip-feed more money out of the player, just a fun idea and all the variations I could build on top of that. Can't wait until everyone can play it!

4. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Very original plot! :)

Didn't know you're an ex-Freeverse. Jared FTW!
    (Used to have it in my old Mac, and even transcripted the letter!).

Waiting for this game.

5. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    Glad to see a Jared fan!

I did the Jared app for iPhone also. I love the reviews on it in the App Store. Its either a 5 star or a 1 star, nothing in between.

6. BXP_Thunder

BXP_Thunder Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I always wondered what happened to all that loot that I sold off in RPGs. Cool idea guys - best wishes on a great launch for the game.

Do you have a release day ritual? :)

7. haveblue

haveblue Member

Oct 8, 2009
    The president of the Merchant's Guild will appear in front of the App Store and cut the ribbon with a Barbed Steel Rapier.

8. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    I like to curl up into a ball in the corner and cry to myself.

For the most part it's just cross fingers and hope for the best.

9. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    If anyone would find it interesting, it is really different releasing a new app when you are a 2 man shop vs when Freeverse was around.

There's a lot of freedom in doing it on your own like this. Mark and I just were able to work on the game as long as it took. We didn't have to conform the game to fit any kind of marketing research data. I"m sure some focus group would hate the name, or the 1990s 3DO look we gave the UI.

But we set out to make the game we wanted. It started with Mark's brilliance, and I just stepped in where I could to help, without hurting the gameplay.

10. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Ah, looking at this makes me wish there were plans to bring the iconic RPG-item-store-owner-sim Recettear to iOS.

11. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    We were already working on this when we found out about Recettear. We are very different in design and how our systems work. That said, Recettear is an awesome game.

12. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    There's only a few hours until Merchant to the Stars is released. I'm so excited. I haven't done a paid indie game in a long long time.

I hope at 99 cents it won't turn some people away.

13. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    You never know what's going to happen, but I hope other people like it. I'm very intrigued by it. The idea is really cool!

Good luck with the launch!

I'll let you know my impressions when I play it. :)