iPhone Dungeon Hearts - (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    They've updated the game description now to ipad2+ ... I feel cheated !!!

2. link6616

link6616 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    #42 link6616, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Although, they haven't updated the compatibility list to the left which is worth noting... Although not worth dwelling on.

I had kind of hoped they'd go the route of actually making it work as opposed to just changing the description after having bought it and complained, but I guess it's nice that they at least appeared to take some action...

Still pretty disappointed. At this point when I see a game I like being iPad 1 compatible I get all excited. Not that I like whining too much, I've put the question on their facebook page about are they planning on patching in iPad 1 support, if not am I just expected to wait to play it on the iPad 7 or what?

3. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    I got caught up with a bunch of other games and haven't had a chance to download.After reading all the disappointing reviews. Ill pass (so many games only two thumbs)

4. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Still been chipping away at it and getting quite good at it now...BUT...Ive started getting crashes now if I sleep with the app still running and even my iPad4 can't keep it running in the background with anything else.

The game doesn't autosave or anything so you lose all your progress once that happens and start again from the beginning.

That's the last straw for me really. Probably wasted about an hour today shooting for a high score only to not end up finishing the game. :mad:

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I like the complex mechanics, and love the variety of specialty runes, but find the games fairly frantic nature a bit off putting (having to quickly slide around moving pieces before they fall of the screen).

Can the game even be paused?

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    The game kept crashing for me every time I tried to load it up. I finally realized that I needed to have an active Wi-Fi connection in order for the game to even launch; that to me is already a dealbreaker for game I've already bought. This on top of the crashes in general, the iffy touch detection and the speed, I am seriously experiencing a bit of buyers remorse. I was truly excited about this release too...

7. BoneyCork

Jul 23, 2011
    Well I'll be...you're right. No WIFI = instant crashing for me also.
    The disappointments just keep coming with this one.

8. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #48 Bool Zero, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    I'm betting its a Gamecenter connected issue... I was at the park with my kids and figured I had some time to try the new games I had downloaded last night, only to be met with that disappointment. I figured it was a WiFi related issue and when I got home tested it by launching the game and it ran fine, then I killed Wifi and sure enough, launch and crash!

9. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    It looks like agood game but its just not that fun. It's really stressful if anything. It's too hard to keep pace and battles seem to go on for too long. Maybe a casual mode would help or something for people complaining about speed like myself.

10. shadax

shadax Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Has anyone played since the update? Still on the fence about buying this one.

Thanks.

11. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    They broke the game further after the update. Swiping doesn't work to form gems so in its current state the game is unplayable and you can't tell if the balancing issues have been address because you essentially can't attack!

Aside from that the no wifi crash still exists so if you are on a wifi only device and not bear a connection the game will crash (there is no mention or reason as to why this game would need a Internet connection and I believe this may be a poor programming over site dealing with how they implemented Gamecenter).

I have never been this disappointed in an app purchase before, and of the several thousands I have bought a few stinkers!

12. TrexlerRanger

TrexlerRanger Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Not sure why you can't attack, it was only a swipe on the 'level up' board, otherwise it was a tap and still is.

The only change I noticed was that you can no longer swipe on the 'level up' board, I thought they varied the mechanic here originally to reinforce that this was a different part of the game. However, now it is the same as the normal game, just tap on any grouping of 3.

I've never tried without a wifi connection so can't speak to that issue and I'll have to play some more to get a feel for the balancing that is mentioned in the patch notes.

Overall, the general game is solid if a bit hectic. I think where it drops off is that there is no reward for beating a monster, you get the level up board but you're not guaranteed anything there. Something like a random loot/treasure chest/power up system could have really helped this aspect of the game.

Apologies for rambling, been thinking about this one a lot lately, really wanted it to succeed.

13. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I have played after the update...

Still nightmarish in difficulty - I like to rate myself as a pretty seasoned gamer but this is relentless!
    The pace never let's off, the rewards are barley noticeable and the replay value is incredibly low do to the fact there is no progression...
    Really was looking forward to this game, bit of a let down considering the visuals were so polished.
    Will just keep hoping for more updates...
    - Needs more progression, a better levelling system (current one is skill based yes, but also luck has too much sway)
    - Difficulty needs to be properly ramped.
    - Add a Pause button instead of blindly tapping the top right corner
    - Visuals during gameplay lack luster, no real feeling of "damaging" an enemy...

Had a few more thoughts but its 5:41am in Brisbane so can't really think of them now...

planck

14. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm just chiming in to say the update did nothing for difficulty. Game is still as rough as it was when it released.

15. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Please add a monster HP bar in the next update.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this.

I know it isn't a very expensive game, but all these things would relegate the game to me throwing money away. I do enough of that on crappy games as it is, so while I want this to be great, I can't justify it. You truly have helped me and although I appreciate it, it makes me VERY sad. This had the potential to be a genre redefining game. Instead, it ends up an overly difficult and flawed attempt at greatness.

I would love the devs to chime in here. I would like to think they are watching the forums. They should be, at least. I know we aren't always the best, but we serve a purpose here and I do believe that wading through the muck of our posts, there is useful information.

Shame that this and Magicka have been really disappointing and similar in their frustrating difficulty, though I think this is a bit less forgiving.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ive been trying really hard to really like the game, but the things pointed out by planckboy is pretty spot on. Since there's an end to this (as suggested by one of the achievements), i think it's better if they make different difficulty levels, with the current speed and progression a hard mode.

An easy mode would let into the game a lot more gradually, and make our brains record and realize patterns once we hot normal amd hard levels.

As mentioned in the thread, the concept is wild, fresh and actually fantastic... But the execution of making the difficulty ramp up too fast and not letting us kill the damn final boss, let alone face him, is pulling the game down so many levels.

Planck also made a good point on the level up system. It shouldnt be luck based, skill based maybe, but NOT LUCK. How about giving you a fixed, non-moving set of random colors, and a limited number of moves, so that you can level up who you want and make a strategy? For example, after finishing an enemy, a full set shows up and stops when it fills the puzzle area. Then it gives you 7 moves to match whatwver colors you want levelling characters as necessary.

This gives you freedom to create a party and have a strategy, and at the same time, balance the scoreboards with only 7 moves per level-up mini game. Just some thoughts.

There is definitely potential in this one, and the only point of success is on how the devs will rework the current difficulty and the level up system.

18. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    You are right, no swiping now, just tapping, but I agree with others that I am not noticing any change in the difficulty balancing issue. I died at the same exact spot every time pre-update as I did post update, now the only difference is the control adjustment.

Also, the game still crashes unless you have an active wifi connection which is deal breaker to me. And the game can't run in background...

19. BoneyCork

Jul 23, 2011
    It can run in the background, it's just that it uses so much memory that iOS usually stops it quite quickly. This wouldn't be a problem really, except there's no autosave. Plenty of apps autosave when you background them, so this is just another oversight. I lost a couple of high score runs because of this.

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Looks like they got another update in with an easy mode added on.

Would love to hear some updates?