That Puzzle Game With No Name

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by chips, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chips

chips Member

May 27, 2009
    #1 chips, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Hello TouchArcadians,

we are about to ship a new puzzle game to iOS and we believe that it would be a nice touch from you, if you play the beta version of it and suggest us a name
    for it.

What do you think of that?

By the way, if you didn't like the game, liked or think that this woud be way better as an First Person Shooter, please feel free to tell us what you think.

http://www.sulistas.com/thatpuzzlegamewithnoname/
    [EASIER LEVEL UPDATED]
    Thanks,
    Rodrigo Chips.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Interesting, but is there some basic instructions?

KnightR springs to mind for some reason (the R is for Remove...)

Are we trying to capture all the pieces? Remove all squares?

3. chips

chips Member

May 27, 2009
    Hi drelbs,

Interesting, but is there some basic instructions? Yes, there will be instruction as an option on the Main Menu.
    The rules are:
    1 - Try to destroy all the pieces;
    2- When you click on a number all of the pieces at it's value distance will be activated.
    3- When you click on a chess piece, all of the possible movements will activate the pieces on the board.
    4 - When you destroy the same piece multiple times, you get a combo, destroy pieces in a sequence like 2,3,1 or Horse, Bishop and Tower, and u get a bonus for sequences.

KnightR springs to mind for some reason (the R is for Remove...)
    Nice name, we will consider that.
    Are we trying to capture all the pieces? Remove all squares?
    Yes! That's the objective of the game.

Thanks for your reply.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Chips,

I'm loving the game but do hope you'll include in documentation the legal sequences since, as I'm not a chess player (I just know how the pieces move), I have NO IDEA what are legitimate chess sequences.

I figured the best bet for name ideas is looking through a Chess Terms Glossary and looking for seemingly relevant terms to what this game appears to be about. Here are a few potential ideas (the term and their definition):

Blockading Square:
    The square directly in front of an isolated or backward pawn. This square can also serve as an outpost square, as an occupying piece cannot be chased away by pawns.

Impossible Move:
    A move which has obvious unfavourable results, and so is to be avoided.

Knight on the Rim:
    A knight on the edge of the board. Unless it is performing a specific duty, its future is said to be "dim," as it attacks very few squares, none in the centre. It may even become trapped on the edge.

Prophylaxis:
    A strategy explored by Nimzovich, where you prevent your opponent from taking action in a certain area for fear of reprisal. Overprotection is a form of prophylaxis.

Zugzwang:
    German "forced to move". A position where a player would prefer to pass his move (but of course cannot, as it is illegal) as any move damages his game.

I got all of these from this webpage, you might find something better:
    http://www.arkangles.com/kchess/glossary.html

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Knight on the Rim

This one sounds pretty cool.

Prophylaxis:
    Zugzwang:

These two sound slightly perverted. ;)

"Knight, make sure you use a prophylaxis on your zugzwang or the queen'll blockade your square, rendering your move impossible. :p

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ouch!

Oh, I get the sequences now, simply making a series of moves that use all numbers or chess pieces without any repeats. So going 2, 3, and 1 or Knight, Rook, and Cardinal would work.

So far I'm getting confused as to what is ending my game. Like I'll end on a Rook with spaces open in a straight line in all four directions. Does their need to be a minimum number of spaces?

7. chips

chips Member

May 27, 2009
    Hi LordGek,

The sequences are made the way you said, going 2, 3, and 1 or Knight, Rook, and Cardinal or any other order as long as you select the chess pieces or numbers. We thought it would make things easier.

The name Knight on the Rim look pretty good! We will keep this one as our best option so far. :D

We notice that some people are having trouble using chess pieces, so I'll upload a easier level that will be available on the game. (The level you were playing was a normal one.)

About the game over, we will try to figure out some way to explane that the piece you selected didn't reach any other piece on the table.

Thanks for your update! You are REALLY helping us out!