Dragon's Lair or Cobra Command?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I love laserdisk games, even though they were years before my time. Both Dragon's Lair (my intro to LD games) and Cobra Command have excellent versions on the iPhone. I was wondering which was better though. Don't base your decision on price, as it changes, but base it on how fun it is to play, replayability, controls (which don't seem to be an issue), and just which one you find yourself playing more.

2. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    I'd go with Dragon's Lair, if you do not get both :)

Its the classic that people will remember.

(I got both, and Space Ace)

Rixx

3. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I was more or less leaning that way. It's not a price thing, it's a space constraint. It seems like all the good games have a huge filesize and I have an 8gb touch. Makes things a bit tough when it comes down to getting a ton of games. Time to remove a bunch of jailbreak stuff...

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

cobra command is pretty cool. :) I've never tryed Dragon's Lair thow.... ;)

5. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Dragon's Lair is really the 'King' of LD games, so if you are just going with one, I would steer that way. Plus the animations by Don Bluth are really fantastic. The iPhone version of DL also has a Move guide, wheras the others do not. Makes it a little less frustrating if you're stuck somewhere. And Princess Daphne is ... well ...

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I know DL is just awesome, but I've never played CC. Looked great from the gameplay videos though.

While I like the move guide, I'm kinda old school (even though i havnt been around long enough to really be old school) and like to go without the guide. It'd be a last ditch thing if I couldn't get it. And as for your last sentence... agreed.

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I was going to say go with DL, though I don't have it yet. I say this because I got CC and it's REALLY hard (though I've never been that good at this type of game anyway), even on easy. Not to mention it's seriously frustrating to have to restart the level every time I miss one encounter. On the other hand, DL has the arcade mode that makes you skip an encounter if you fail it - so the game doesn't get boring and repetitive if you're having trouble passing an encounter. However, since you said you like playing those games w/o the help, I'm guessing you're better at them than I (and I DID play these when they came out in the arcades :p), so you may like CC and not have as much difficulty with it as I do.

However, as others have said, DL is the most well known of all LD games and Don Bluth is a great artist. It would be a great piece of history to have in your pocket. :)

8. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I would go with Dragon's Lair for sure. I like the old school games as well and I love the feel of DL. I just bought it about a half hour ago and am loving it so far. There is a lot of content and different game modes to play through. There are also many options including difficulty, size of buttons, and amount of lives (including infinite). Definitely worth the $4.99 if not more!

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Lol, yeah I play it on the PC alot. It's alot of practice, and I had seen some videos and gave away some of the parts that were frusterating me. Plus, I find the challenge fun, especially considering the fact that there's infinite lives.

And I think I'm gonna get both. I'm willing to clear out a few old games to get them both.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Voted both, especially with Cobra Command at 99¢. You're practically stealing the game at that price.

11. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #11 Somerandomdude, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Yeah, I'm gonna get that too... It just looks so fun... I love on-rails shooters, the reaction scenes, and the anime graphics. An on-rails shooter with anime video practically sold it for me.

EDIT: I just bought DL and it was just about to finish downloading and then iTunes froze and I had to restart it... Crap.

12. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    And I just bought Cobra Command, although i won't get to play it until tomorrow because it's downloading... I made some great purchases today with OMG Pirates!, Dragon's Lair, and now this. Can't wait to go play them, I'll most likely write reviews on them once I do enough.

13. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Oh oh I know the answer :p

Seriously though I bought DL for the nostalgia myself. Classic!!
    I'll leave others to decide which is the better 'game'.

Still pinch myself that we can get these once expensive units into the palm of your hand :)

Oh and for any hardcore laserdisc fans, like the evil emperor says in that famous scene from Star Wars..."there is another! - even better laserdisc title coming down the road!"
    Actually I'm not sure he actually said that but you get my drift. :)

14. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I bought Cobra Command, as Space Ace and Dragons Lair are a little expensive for me.. there is nothing like 80s anime, its just so classic :D I'm having trouble playing it though, im stuck in a certain spot, i die in the same spot every time, early on :(

15. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #15 Somerandomdude, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Alright, time to install Cobra Command... I'm planning on doing a review on at least one game today... Was going to try a video review but my throat's bothering me and I'm losing my voice... crap.

EDIT: Just submitted a user review of Dragon's Lair on here... just waiting on them to process. It can take some time as it did with my Call of Duty: Zombies review.

16. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    You gotta practice over and over - I had the same problem in the NY level, but last night I finally beat it. Once you get that far, you start getting the hang of it - you start being able to anticipate what the game is going to do.

17. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Oh? What game is that? I actually don't remember many others besides DL, CC, Space Ace, and one other that I used to love - Super Don Quixote!

18. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #18 Somerandomdude, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    I know it isn't it, but I'm hoping someone will port Badlands. It had one button and was still a ton of fun. After watching a gameplay video I downloaded it with the Daphne emulator, and it's awesome. It'd be easy to make on the iPhone too, just have them tap the screen when they want to fire.

I wrote and submitted a review this morning to the User Reviews section and it's still not up. What's going on?

Oh yeah, Cobra Command is awesome. I couldn't put it down, even though I can't beat the first mission. On easy... Man I envy you guys who got to play this in the arcades...

19. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I made and posted to Youtube a short video showing a play-through of the first two levels on one life. For some reason, the framerate came out unusually low, and much of the visuals are washed out as well, but at least one can coordinate the sound and some visual cues with the thumb movements, which are fairly clear.

NOTE: Cobra Command looks vastly better than it does in the following video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwmvSRS5Xw

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Wait, there's no limit on how many missles you have? I was holding off from using them because I thought there was a limit... I gotta try that. And I think you play this a bit too much to not die in the first 2 levels on hard.