Universal Tower in the Sky [BETA]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by weretiger, Jun 1, 2015.

1. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Hello TA Users,

We wanted to share some media and information about our upcoming lane defense RPG Tower in the Sky! We are a small indie game studio composed of three brothers (Three Brothers Games) and this is our first title for mobile. We are looking for beta testers from the TA community, so let us know if you want to help make it as good as it can be. :)

Tower in the Sky

A lane defense, fantasy / sci-fi action role playing game, with twelve playable characters, tons of loot, a 6-10 hour campaign, and serious strategy.

Role playing adventure with an unique blend of action / strategy gameplay set in a fantastic world illustrated in an otherworldly vector art style. The tower has returned, and with it death and destruction for the kingdom of Tyrune. Assemble an unlikely party of heroes and battle a mysterious enemy across over 100 levels.

• A surprisingly meaty adventure for mobile devices!
    • Victory requires strategy and skill
    • 6-10 hour single player campaign (and New Game+)
    • Build a unique party out of a dozen playable characters each with their own unique abilities
    • Customize your party with TONS of weapons, items, and collectible T-shirts
    • A cast of NPC’s and a cross genre story that arcs across 1000’s of years
    • Help an overly opportunistic Tavern entrepreneur be successful!

Premium game for core gamers. We don’t like energy timers and pay to win mechanics (or IAP purchases in general), so we didn't include them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is really close to being done, and we are just working on making sure the difficulty / balance of the characters and levels is right. We could really use help from the TA community to get there, as we have played it for 100's of hours now :)

Let us know below if you want to join the beta!

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks very well made.

Me and my brother wouldn't be able to get along to cook a meal let alone a game so well done on that!

3. Lynq

Lynq Member

May 26, 2015
    Web Developer
    UK
    I love the graphic style on the map, it looks great :)

The idea of building a party to defend towers is great I'll be interested to see how it works in game.

4. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks triggywiggy! We have our fair share of arguments, but luckily they are all in the spirt of figuring stuff out.

5. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    I'm really happy to hear you say that. We went with a vector art, minimal illustrative style for the game. It allows us to scale objects up and down freely, and take advantage of the maximum resolution for whatever iOS device is running it while targeting 60 fps at all times.

6. Stephan0711

Stephan0711 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Cool graphics! Strategy games are my fav, you can never go wrong with a good strategy game!:) would love to help out with the beta. PM sent with my info.

7. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks Stephan! Added you to the beta.

There are still lots of beta spots open if other people want to join!

8. freeBozeForSomeOfYou

May 31, 2015
    Graphics look lovely, PM sent for beta access :)

Can I ask you what is the technology used here? Unity? Sprite-Kit? Cocos2D? Something else?

9. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Message for the Beta Testers!

To the TA members who are currently beta testing the game... We've already found a couple strange :confused: bugs in this build.

1. The completed level count is not tallying correctly (showing all areas completed on the world map)

2. Difficulty appears to be higher than normal due to some extra creature spawns (creating a dark souls level of challenge)... :cool:

3. Achievement page in Game Center is not loading properly.

We are going to fix ASAP and upload another build, but just wanted to let you all know we are aware of the issues.

10. illville

illville New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Straight outta Glendale

Howdy folks,

I've been enjoying me some Tower in the Sky. The gameplay really scratches that rpg/strategy/puzzle/action itch for me. And I like that I can pound out of few levels for a quick fix if I don't have a lot of play time.

I hit a couple difficulty walls early on at medium level, but that only made me want to play more. I love a good challenge and when I really got stuck I would just go back and play earlier levels to level up my dudes, get drops, and some much needed practice. But now that I am more familiar with the gameplay and hero ranges I rarely get stuck and only takes me a few tries to move forward. So I would say that the difficulty is a good level for me so far.

However, I could maybe see this early challenge scaring off a few casual gamers. Perhaps by nerfing the difficulty level a bit in the first half of the Glendale region would allow players to get familiar with the games mechanics before throwing them into a wall. After all, you'll still have plenty of game left to ratchet up the difficulty to give the rest of us a challenge.

Great job 3 bros!

illville

11. dmoefunk

dmoefunk New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Awesome Game!

I have been beta testing this awesome game for a week now. I really like the strategy skill combination game play. I also really like how it looks. I'm excited to keep playing this game and try and beat it :D

12. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Updates based on TA player feedback

TA Community, thanks for all the feedback so far! Based on a ton of feedback from this community we have made some pretty substantial changes to the game that have just gone live in a new beta build. We were getting a lot of feedback that the early levels of the game were too challenging, so we adjusted the mix of enemies. We also pushed up some of the more exciting characters to use (such as the wizard's apprentice) toward the beginning of the game, so players would be able to get a strong party going quickly. This should provide a more gradual ramp up of difficulty and challenge. Be advised this game still gets pretty challenging later on.

We still have plenty of open Beta spots and would love more testers!

Just PM me or leave a comment (and I'll PM you) if you want to join.

13. dirtydanisreal

dirtydanisreal New Member

Jun 17, 2015
    I loved the art style and the animations, thats hard to bring charm to a mobile game nowadays. Great job guys!!!

14. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Good idea!

Illville, that is exactly what thought as well. The new build which is in testing as of yesterday has lower level of difficulty in the early stages. We are hoping it makes the game more accessible to a wider range of skill levels. :)

15. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Question for Beta Testers

Quick question to those from the forums beta testing our game...

Should we REMOVE the penalty for attacking before the attack meter is refilled? Currently it pauses the meter refilling for a couple of seconds. Some testers have complained that the penalty is annoying, while others have said they think it's a good idea. We'd love a few more data points to base our decision on. If anyone has any input we would love to hear it! Please feel free to comment here, DM, or email us.

As always, DM if you want to join the beta!

16. czekoladowa3

czekoladowa3 Active Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Poland
    Hey there, look at the date its from 2009 Im not sure if beta still works...

17. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    6 years later...

The 2009 date is when I joined the TouchArcade forum! The beta is still going if you want to participate :)

18. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    New team specials

Just wanted to share a quick update. We added three new "team special attacks" that can be used to turn the tide in the course of battle. This includes a meteor attack that recharges based on the number of enemies killed, a freeze attack that recharges every 10 minutes, and a healing spell that recharges every hour. Rest assured we are NOT implementing any IAP shenanigans here where we will force players to purchase consumables. They are more like the meteor / arrow attack in Kingdom Rush than the consumables in Candy Crush. These have been added based on beta tester feedback that it would be exciting to have limited access to special powers that could be used strategically if a player got stuck on a level and needed an extra push to progress. You can see the UI on the top of the image attached.

Attached Files:

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    IDE like to beta test please

20. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Please send me your email in a PM please!