Lived under a rock: iPod Touch 3g Vs 4g

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Midi_Amp, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Midi_Amp

Midi_Amp Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Just another liaison
    Hi all, first time poster here... Been lurking about for quite sometimes. I've been using iPhone 3G for a while, and been playing the occasional lite games and free games here and there. Now I've changed my phone to Blackberry as a prerequisite to work on my new job so I would like to upgrade (downgrade?) to an iPod touch 3g or 4g.

Reason why:
    • Got a phone already
    • Got an iPad but its home use only
    • Needed a dedicated entertainment solution that won't bother my work (battery life)
    • Wanted to play "serious" games like Zenonia 2
    • Not feeling iPhone 4 antennaegate & price unlocked

But there are some peculiar things that's been bothering me for a while, is it really necessary to buy iPod Touch 4g compared to 3g? Here's a short list of my questions:
    • Will the retina display forcefully stretch game graphics like on the iPad if the game is not retina display compatible? Considering that the 4g has higher pixel density
    • Are there games that's only playable on the 4g? Like that top down shooter that only runs on 3g or iPhone 3Gs, forgot the name...
    • What is the new processor advantages compared to the Cortex A8? And what about 4g graphics processing compared to 3g?

Thanks for anyone chiming in. Been itching to play non casual games on the iOS platform.

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well if you jailbreak your 3g you'll get real money for it, check ebay. 3gs is close to $300 jailbroken, not sure how much less 3g is. Supposedly its easy, there are videos on you tube, etc. So you can probably afford the latest itouch without any financial drain at all.

That said, I dont really notice the retina display unless I put the same game on both my devices and do a comparison. 3gs currently runs all the apps I have just fine, not a huge fps, racer or bullet hell person though.

3. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

To answer the OPs questions:
    1) The retina display has 4 x the pixels so in order to fill the screen it has to use 4 pixels for 1 pixel on a previous gen device. This is certainly noticeable to me, but maybe not to others. I'd recommend you go to an Apple store and try out 1 of the new 4G iPod Touches and see for yourself what the retina display is like. Words or even images don't really do it justice.
    2) I don't believe there are any "exclusive" retina games, but many are being updated and new releases are supporting it. There's a thread on the forums with a massive list of supported games.
    3) The processor is faster and better, but it also has to pump out 4x the pixels so the performance benefit, especially using the same RAM is negligible.

Also you should take into account the other features that you might like: the gyro (already being implemented into Gameloft FPSs), the twin cameras, Facetime etc.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Go for the 4g-- the price right now is barely different from the 3g, and with the 4g you are guaranteed to be at the front of new games and technologies developed for the iPod Touch.

5. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Definitely get a 4g. The price difference isn't much and you are getting new features such as the retina display, gyroscope, mic, cameras etc.
    The retina display in particular is amazing. It makes standard games on older devices look pixelated and crap.

6. Tarroc

Tarroc Member

Mar 23, 2010
    4G, if you used a retina display, you know why ;)

Would be no question for me, the 4G has so many advantages over the 3G...they got named before...just go for the 4G

7. Lifein2D

Lifein2D Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    Like everyone else. I`d have to say the 4g

I used to have the second gen touch and loved it! But after I got the iPhone 4 there was no going back haha

Go to an apple store and try out the 4g, The display alone is worth it. Not to mention the A4 and cameras.

8. Midi_Amp

Midi_Amp Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Just another liaison
    Thanks all for the info, much much appreciated, so I think I'm going with the majority and get the 4g. I thought that the iPad will suffice enough to play iOS games as I'm actually against buying two of the same. However, I've bought Super Mega Worm and Tilt To Live... And playing a tilt game isn't really comfortable with a 600 grams of weight, I really tried to work it out but just can't (not to mention the stretched graphics are horrible).