Quake Classic?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kaje, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kaje

kaje Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Touch Arcade, have you heard anything new from Carmack in regards to this? In one of your previous articles it said that id was going to try to release a game every quarter but it's been 3+ months since Doom Classic came out and haven't seen any previews of Quake yet. Thanks.

2. specter800

specter800 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I would point out that iD is (I believe) finishing up their work on Rage and I think they are also working on an iDevice exclusive. Quake Classic may not be the next thing down the pipe from them.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Oooo.... An iPhone excluisve... can't wait for that one after playing Doom Res!

And you can play Quake on the device if you don't mind jailbreaking. But, like with Doom, I'll probably end up buying the official port anyway. In the meantime you can just play with quake4iphone.

4. Apps Vs. Zombies

Jan 16, 2010
    I thought I read/heard somewhere that Carmack stated Rage was definitely next and that Quake would be in the Spring?

5. kaje

kaje Member

Jan 3, 2010
    http://toucharcade.com/2009/11/04/toucharcade-interview-john-carmack-talks-doom-classic-the-app-store-and-more/

6. specter800

Dec 9, 2009
    I would also say that this all depends on what Carmack's view of a "game" is. Doom 2 and Final Doom have still not been added to Doom Classic, so those could and probably will be launched before we see Quake

7. smokin okin II

Feb 3, 2010
    whoever started this thread truly deserves to get banned, this is a forum for factual things, we all know that once Zodttd submits his version of quake that he's been working on since 2008, it's going to get rejected so why would you even bother discussing it if you already know that apples approval process will never accept copyrighted material such as quake or even a great game like the legend of zelda and the ocarina of time only on the sega gamecast

8. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Because the official creators are making the game :rolleyes:.

And ZodTTd added his to Cydia, not the App Store, if you're going to rant get your facts right.

9. Desparobo

Desparobo Active Member

Jan 30, 2009
    +1
    I'm also interested in quake coming eventually. I spent many a nights in my youth up late playing this game. Honestly though, ID has done a pretty good job thus far with app store deliveries, so I'll be pleased with whatever comes next from Carmack. Patience is a virtue, after all.

10. specter800

Dec 9, 2009
    Haven't Doom and Quake been open-sourced for more than a decade now? (Answer: Yes.) All someone would have to do is get some sort of approval from John Carmack to produce an app with that content. The only reason they WOULDNT get approval from Carmack is because he wants his properties to be ported CORRECTLY. Android had Doom well in advance of the AppStore because of it is purely a 3rd party source port. Also, haven't you noticed that BOTH DOOM and WOLF3D have all come from 3D source ports (ie. prBoom, zDoom etc) Carmack used someone elses work to help him port the games so he would not have to modernize the code himself.

11. kaje

kaje Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Not too bright are you?

12. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    LOL. Looks like smokin okin should quit smokin so much. Why must someone ALWAYS jump down someone elses throat on this sight? Yes, we should REALLY officially ban someone for posting a thread. Dumbass.

13. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Quake Classic or Quake 1 is released on cydia store many months ago and i think it should be free

14. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

This post = epic fail. Next time you try to jump on someone, try understanding the discussion first.

15. specter800

Dec 9, 2009
    AND having more than 2 posts (including that rant) before calling for someone getting banned... Anyways, let's stop feeding the trolls guys