Volcano Planet - in review

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jellybiscuitsman, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Game in review:

If you're thinking it's just a (polished?) whack-a-mole variation you'd be right I guess, though no moles are involved. Spending time getting better at it can get you a long way further (courtesy of the gas suppressing modules for being fast), rather than just becoming impossible at a certain point which I don't find that entertaining in the classic WAM's. It's been designed as a 5-10 minute game though you can go a fair bit further.

Local and global high scores.

0.99c

It's been in review for a week, another week or two by the sounds of how slow it is these days, assuming no rejection.

The moving white dot is indicative of the touch position, not in the game itself.

FWIW If you think the explosion at the end is a tad lackluster - while reviewing the capture I realised I had optimised half of the explosion elements out just prior to submit (doh), it'll be back in an update.

cheers,
    grant
    (also working hard on the Squashem update)

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    For .99 it looks pretty fun. I might try it out. Graphics look good at least.

3. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Wow, looks great. :D

I absolutely love Squashem and I'm really looking forward to this. Your games are really polished and fun, lets just hope this doesn't have a month approval like Squashem did.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    that does look fun and very nice graphically...it would be cool to see the planet break apart cataclysmically into pieces versus just explode

...love that the volcanos each have their own tone

5. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That's really cool, good job. Seems like a very honest indie game :)
    It's a nice touch how each volcano has its own tone. How is the red/green lighting done on each volcano? glLights or a dynamic color array?

6. The bits I managed to turn off were large chunks of the planet exploding out :)

It does look better with that stuff on.

thanks,
    grant

7. Lights. I looked at the performance hit doing it this way and it was generally insignificant compared to managing it via a color scheme. Earlier in the development I allowed unlimited volcanos which hit the light limit and they'd flicker wildly as different lights were on/off - which didn't actually look that bad :) but you generally won't see this during play now.

cheers,
    grant

8. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Ah, yeah, that's why I was wondering. It seemed like there could be more than 8 lights at a time.

9. songkranw

songkranw Well-Known Member

Look like you will got me. Buy at sight! :eek:

10. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I'm such a sucker for games with whole planets in them (Spore, Super Mario Galaxy, Star Defense, etc). For 99 cents I'll most likely pick it up day one :) - Looks fun.

11. Hi

Volcano Planet is available. I'll post to to the 'iphone and ipod touch' sub-forum shortly with some promo codes.

thanks,
    grant