Undercroft - turn based RPG from Rake in Grass, looking for betatesters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by boovie, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Game developer/programmer - iPhone, Mac OS X, Wind
    Prague
    #1 boovie, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Hi again!

Undercroft, our upcoming RPG from Rake in Grass, is getting close to release, so let me present some news about the game.

UPDATE: The game was just released!

Undercroft
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334240336&mt=8

Undercroft Lite
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334245047&mt=8

Watch this new trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpIuW6tUQHQ
    [hqyoutube]GpIuW6tUQHQ[/hqyoutube]

Undercroft brings the atmosphere of old-school RPG dungeons like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master to your iPhone and iPod touch. Undercroft was originally released for pocket pc, but the iPhone version comes with completely redone interface optimized for iPhone and enhanced gameplay with many new features not included in the original version.

Players lead a party of adventurers through haunted tombs, deep forests, fiery pits or snowy mountains. They fight hordes of beasts and magical creatures, solve mysterious riddles and fulfil dozens of tasks in adventure-game style.

Features:
    - Create your own party of four heroes, or let the game create random party for quick play.
    - 5 classes: warriors, mages, priests, summoners and assassins.
    - Automap.
    - 30+ hours of gameplay with great replay value.
    - More than 700 items.

*** Betatesting ***

UPDATE: We have enough iPhone betatesters now, thanks to all for support!

Right now we are looking for betatesters. We would like to find from 5 to 10 betatesters, who will help us to polish the game. But before contacting us, please note that we are looking for dungeons RPG fans, who are able to test core gameplay, ideally somebody who has experience with old school RPGs like EOB, Dungeon Master or similar title :) We are not looking for testers, who will play for 20 minutes and then tell us that the the game is good/bad.

We want each tester to select some party combination so we can compare how the game is playable with different classes. The betatesting will be organized on Rake in Grass forums, so each tester will be able to see bugs reported by other testers etc. We expect betatesting to be finished withing two weeks, so the game can be prepared for release at the end of September. If you want to participate, please write me PM.

*** Video and screenshots ****

This video was grabbed from the developer's version on PC because we had problems with video quality of our camera when playing on device, but the game plays the same on the device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZIN-_8JJbA
    [hqyoutube]oZIN-_8JJbA[/hqyoutube]

And some new screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to stay informed about this game, you can follow us on twitter or facebook.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    #2 dogmeat, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    Wow, looks impressive!

PM me if you need a reviewer for this one.

You can search the review forum for my review style.

Or if you still need testers.

3. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Oh my god, a Dungeon Master clone :D

I'm so waiting for this one!

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    PM sent. :cool:

Anyone else here play Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master II on the Sega CD? :D

Think I've managed to play Eye of the Beholder on 4 platforms now, PC, Sega CD, SNES and GBA. GBA version is the most different with battles played out tactically...

5. Krispod

Krispod Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
    I want to to beat test your game, i played alot of rpgs on the nintendo 64 and one of my favs is Oblivion( that game is not on n 64 though )

6. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    This looks great! I played EoB2 and Wizardry 8 on PC and would absolutely love to have a similar game for my iTouch. Would love to beta-test it too, I have some free time in the next couple of weeks.

7. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    You are pretty dedicated to help them "beat test" their game. ;)

8. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Prague
    I have send PMs with more info to all who responded on betatesting, we have enough iPhone betatesters now. Thanks!

9. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Yess... I'm in!

10. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    IM IN!!!
    SKILLET(yes it is a band, look it up) FTW!!!

11. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    skillet |ˈskilit|
    noun
    a frying pan.
    • historical a small metal cooking pot with a long handle, typically having legs.
    ORIGIN Middle English : perhaps from Old French escuelete, diminutive of escuele ‘platter,’ from late Latin scutella.

12. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    :eek: Dictionary man! Is it really you!? Banana

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Huzzah, I made the cut! :cool:

really looking foward to playing this...

14. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    no its a band, im listening to them right now...

15. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    banana |bəˈnanə|
    noun
    1 a long curved fruit that grows in clusters and has soft pulpy flesh and yellow skin when ripe.
    2 (also banana plant or banana tree) the tropical and subtropical treelike plant that bears this fruit. It has very large leaves and resembles a palm, but lacks a woody trunk. • Genus Musa, family Musaceae: several species, in particular M. sapientum.
    3 adjective ( bananas) informal insane or extremely silly : he's beginning to think I'm bananas.
    PHRASES
    go bananas informal go insane : Roy's customers think the council has gone bananas. • rave; cheer wildly : I have never had a product that people went so bananas over. • become extremely angry or excited : she went bananas when I said I was going to leave the job.
    second banana informal the second most important person in an organization or activity.
    top banana informal the most important person in an organization or activity.
    ORIGIN late 16th cent.: via Portuguese or Spanish from Mande.

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, folks do you know whatkind of party(ies) you'll use for your test?

17. Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Slaving peon.
    Not here; not there; not anywhere!
    I've been looking forward to this one ever since I saw the announcement of the port on their website. I've been looking for an old-school type RPG and only Quest comes close so far, but I'm not a big fan of real-time battles. This is much more up my alley. :)

18. deputy

deputy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    New York
    This game looks awesome, can't wait for it.

19. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Prague
    Just small note to betatesters, I was preparing beta version today, but (as usual) I have just found two serious bugs in the build, and because its 2am here now, I will fix them and prepare the build tomorrow, I promise :)

20. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Prague
    Note that there are five classes, but each class can be developed in several ways, for example summoner focused on shapeshifting and combat in beast form...Some classes, like assassin specialized in unarmed combat, were not much tested yet so they may have tough times fighting through the game :)