Any good 'advance wars' like games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by donner, Jan 26, 2011.

1. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Looking for a good turn based strategy game similar to advance wars. Multiplayer would be good too. Thanks in advance.

2. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Mecho Wars is the only one that comes to mind immediately.

3. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Battle for Wesnoth- On sale now for a dollar, get it before its gone. An excellent turn based strategy. Chalk full of conent. Not exactly like advanced wars, but in rhe same vein, and still very good. Also, cross-platform multiplayer, so yeah. Did i mention that its a DOLLAR? Seriously, cant go wrong with that kindof deal. Snap it up while you can. You can even try it out in the comPueter beforehand for free(just go to their site)

4. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    #4 ManofAegis, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Rogue Planet by Gameloft and Agharta Studio is probably the closest game I can think of to advanced wars. Graphics (very good), characters, and gameplay are very similar. There's a semi-long campaign, skirmish mode, online/local multiplayer.

Right now, It's priced at $4.99, but It's been on sale for $.99 before and could possibly be reduced again soon. ;)

5. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    Mecho Wars- simple, great art style, mutliplayer

Uniwar- hex based with a bit more depth, has multiplayer and is realistically the closest to advanced wars

Battle of Wesnoth- hex based with unit leveling and quite a bit of depth, its fanatsy themed and has more content than u could shake a stick at... cross platform multiplayer i believe

i havent played rogue planet so no comment here, but it looks quite simillar to advance wars.

6. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    rogue planet is a good game, if not a little over priced. the graphics are good, gameplay good, and controls good. only problem is alot of stalemates because alot of the maps are connected by a bridge and once both sides are filled, there is noway across because you cant move over other characters, hence you just sit there killing one person during your turn, then they make another and move up and your stuck again. but if you are good you can mostly negate this problem. still i love the game.

7. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    No one's mentioned Highborn yet?

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
  9. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    Transformers G1: Awakenings might fit the bill. It's a little more simplified than Advance Wars, but it's a highly enjoyable game.

It's $2.99 US at the moment, but it often goes on sale for $0.99.

10. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I have nevr played advanced wars, but Mechowars is made by the same PpL so you'll find similarities.

Rogue Planet is my 1st iOS title that I completed, Nice Shite!

Highborn is a hex based (I don't love hexbased tbses >.< but the humor is good, I don't like the units being moved like a pawn, thats just me I guess)

11. emaddox

emaddox Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Male
    Army Wars is exactly like Advance Wars.

12. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I released War3100 a while back and it's similar to Advance Wars but with a different capture mechanic (you have to siege targets.)

The graphics are not as good but I think they are decent enough to play the game.

No multiplayer although I may finish that feature eventually. In reality there haven't been enough people playing it to justify the price of a server and the work to maintain it. I was working on it last weekend though so you never know. ;)

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I don't see that game, Link?

@GamerOutfit
    Does it have an In-game editor?
    Can I share the map with another iOS device if I created a level?

I know that its only a $ & has 24 levels, but I just want to know :D

14. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    @ultimo

It has an in-game editor. You can send the files to others if they know how to use files on their device. I've been working on adding a map file transfer option though to upload maps automatically through the website.

15. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Thanks for answering, I got my copy Y'day! :)
    With an interactive dev, its more easier to know what's coming through & what else to expect.

16. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
  17. RS200

RS200 Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    What a great thread! - I was going to ask the same question. TBH Advance Wars (1&2) are the only reason I keep the NDS.

I think the closest I have played (and really quite addictive too) is "Military Madness" which is available from the TG16 app. It's very "Dark" and not cartoon-y or funny but the game is quite cool and reminds me a lot of Advance Wars.

I am going to put Rogue Planet and Mecho Wars in my AppShopper wishlist and pick them up when the time is right.

18. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I think the "Big Three" so far are Uniwar, Rogue Planet, and MechoWars.

They also have a miltary theme, which is what you seem to be interested in. Some other games mentioned in this thread have more of a fantasy theme.

19. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Rogue planet is a cross between military & fantasy :D

20. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    legendary wars