A Fps with a good storyline?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bambam95, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bambam95

bambam95 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Does anybody know a FPS with a good storyline for the Iphone???

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Doom Resurrection! :)

3. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    LOL. Dude there are only like 4 FPS for the iPhone. Doom Res., Wolf 3D, Duke Nukem and Prey. And none of them have good story lines. Why would you even want one ???

4. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Hill Billy?

I've only played the lite version, but the storyline was creative to say the least.

5. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Well, I'll list all the FPS's I know of in the App Store:
    Prey Invasion- Sort of has a storyline, but it isn't very good.
    Doom Resurrection- Has a good storyline. One of the best out of all the FPS's.
    Hill Billy- Something about monsters eating this guys carrots, not the best storyline but at least it has one.
    Wolfenstein RPG- Good storyline, this guy's trying to escape from Nazi's. The most amusing storyline.
    Wolfenstein Classic- Similiar to Wolfenstein RPG.
    Duke Nukem 3D- Alien pigs have invaded earth, and it's up to Duke Nukem to stop them. Good storyline, though doesn't really tell you what's going on (you do work it out for yourself).

Upcoming:
    Modern Combat: Sandstorm- From the looks of it this will have quite a good storyline, and it's from Gameloft so chances are it will be quality.
    LiveFire/Killtest- I don't think this will have a storyline, because it's mostly online. Apparently ngmoco recently included an offline mode though, so I guess well just have to wait and see.

So the best storyline is probably either Doom Resurrection, Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem. In my opinion Doom Resurrection has the best storyline, buy I think that when Modern Combat comes out it will have a better storyline. Remember though that gameplay, controls (a major factor with iPhone FPS's), and graphics.

6. ENERTRON

ENERTRON Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    you can't count Doom Railsurrection without also counting Time Crisis Strike, SurrounDead, and all those other no FoM shooters

7. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I'd recommend Doom: Resurrection, but that's a rail shooter, though it's still in first person so it's related.

I don't know why you would put STORY before all other game elements, in an FPS game no less. That's usually not the main appeal of such games, but if that's what you're looking for, then that's perfectly fine.

If you want a good, immersive story in an FPS though, I'd suggest you try the consoles. It's hard to get an incredible story with great graphics, characters, sound and animation to really sink you into the experience on an iDevice.

8. bambam95

bambam95 New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    It's not that I'm putting it before all other game elements, I love FPS but I find that a good storyline makes it just that much better.

@ Feltzem: Thank you very much, and Modern Combat does look good.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    But if they count DR as an FPS, then they're not really understanding how FPS are categorized, and probably are the type who think RPG refers to any game in which you're playing a role, and adventure any game in which you partake in an adventure.

Game genre classifications fly completely over their heads, IMHO. Not their fault though...as often times it's not really made clear by the industry itself.

Regardless, DR isn't FPS.

Neither is Wolfenstein RPG really, for obvious reasons.

To answer the topic...Silent Hill: The Escape. It's an FPS, but not a great one. But it does have more in the way of story than the others listed...I think.

I could've sworn I played a lite version of Silent Hill a while back. There's no lite version of it available now, but I just checked my iTunes account to see if maybe I got it before they took it down, but, nope...it's not there. Could've sworn I played that game though, in a lite version.

10. SpaceJunk

SpaceJunk Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I think you're confused.

FPS = First Person Shooter.

Doom Resurrection:
    Perspective: First Person
    Type of Gameplay: Shooting

Hence, Doom Resurrection is technically an FPS, even if it is on rails.

Silent Hill on the other hand is an FPA (First Person Adventure). Even though it may involve shooting, it is not central to the gameplay. It's more about atmosphere and exploration with combat as an afterthought.

Do you object?