Why are Shmup games some the most expensive games on the App Store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Just wondering why shmup games on the App Store are some of the more expensive games? I'm not complaining...just wondering if anyone here knows why. The Cave shmups Dodonpachi Ressurection HD is $13.99USD, Dariusburst SP is $10.99. Raystorm is $8.99. Dodonpachi Maximum is $11.99. Anyone?

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    A few reasons, I think.

First, they tend to be games for hardcore gamers. While freemium monetization strategies have a place for some games, they often don't make much sense for games that are targeting a "gamer" demographic. Charging is the safer bet.

Second, a lot of them happen to be published by the same companies, and those companies happen to be structured around selling premium games. Those companies are often Japanese as well, and many Japanese game companies seem to approach iOS more like a mobile console than a mobile phone - something I'm personally quite happy about.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They are niche games aimed at a hardcore audience. Core shmup players are not a large group but will buy a high quality shmup at a high price. In order to make money, the companies making the games have to charge these prices.

4. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. The more shmups on iOS the better.

5. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I think the most simple answer is that a lot of them are console ports.

6. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    That too, absolutely. It's easier to release a console port with a console price scheme; re-tooling the monetization into freemium or something like that takes more work.

7. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    As already said... they're niche market of gamers who will actually PAY for a solid game.

8. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm surprised we don't see more arcade ports. I thought the Twin Cobra games were supposed to come to iOS.

9. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The rights for those games are incredibly complicated and murky. They were developed by ToaPlan, published in Japan by Taito, and in America I think by Romstar? I think Banpresto bought the rights to Toaplan's catalog after they went under in 1994, and Banpresto was bought by Namco Bandai. Banpresto rereleased some ToaPlan stuff in Japan on the PSX and Saturn, so they had full Japanese rights, but it's hard to say what kind of deal was made on the American side with Romstar.

Basically, we're either looking at Namco Bandai having the rights, unlikely to ever use them or license them out, Namco Bandai having some portion of the rights shared with another entity, which means they wouldn't happen, or the rights reverted back to ToaPlan's individual team members, in which case you'd need a joint CAVE/Kakao/a few other companies production, which also seems unlikely.

Too bad, really. Good, fun shooters.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I would kill for a Tiger Heli port, kiiiiiiiill!