Kale In Dinoland (gameboy style platformer by The Rotting Cartridge)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Forget Gameboy styled, this WAS a Gameboy game back in 1992 by Skysoft. The Rotting Cartridge is a new studio dedicated to porting these old, lesser known GB titles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://therottingcartridge.com/games.html
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kale-In-Dinoland-iPhone/187322838000190
    http://twitter.com/#!/RottenCartridge

Looks very interesting, Stardash has awoken the GB fan in me once again. Only thing I'm worried about is the 4-way dpad, which hasn't really worked for iOS platformers since Castle of Magic.

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Looks great!

3. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Yes! Been following this one on Twitter. Should be out very soon. Can't wait for this and Stardash though the latter is coming sooner!

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    awesome game!!! an instabuy when it'll be on the appstore :)

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Looks like Pix n Love Rush + 1-bit ninja. And by the sounds of that, I'll be buying! :)

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Found another video (linked below, due to my ineptitude in posting videos here) from early September, with still shots and whatnot. Curious whether the "two months" is an EST for iOS release. :)

YouTube: video

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm. 4-way dpad?

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i'm hoping the joypad will be alright

But i'm loving this, i wish more companies would re-release classic old Gameboy games as theres a lot of very good ones about.

I'll be buying this the second its out !

9. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    So, is this sorta like a Blair Witch-style marketing campaign? 'Cause I can't find any evidence that this actually was a Gameboy game back in the 90's.

I was going to download the rom to see if it was any good :)~

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #10 psj3809, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    ^Same here, i tried looking for it and it doesnt seem to 'exist'. I was a huge fan of the gameboy back in the 90's and dont remember this, also used to play a lot of gameboy roms on emulators and again dont remember it.

Not a well known game for sure but i'm stunned a search on google doesnt bring it up anywhere apart from iOS links

But it so looks/sounds like a gameboy game, presume it is

Edit - Had an email from them (Always nice when you email an iOS company and they get back to you very quick), they wrote...

"Thanks for the interest!

A month or two, give or take.

The joystick is 4-way, though you can slide your finger across it to change directions.

We want to keep the design of this game far away from mobile game trends and towards GameBoy design, so there is none of that 'level-by-level' 'collect-the-stars' 'get highscores-per-level' stuff. Each area (composed of multiple, smaller levels) must be beaten (boss at the end) before the game saves. "

Sounds great. Shame its a month or two to wait ! But i'll be buying this the second its out

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I really don't like the 4-way d-pad at all, that never works for platformers, and it's something I think they should think about instead of dismissing all the modern quirks of Appstore games. That said, I haven't been able to find old gameplay videos so I could at least see why they'd want the additional d-pad directions.

There's virtually nothing on this game. No videos, no wiki archive, basically an Gamasutra article where all the information about the game has been volunteered by the developers. I was a big Gameboy player back in the day and I've NEVER heard of this game.

Maybe that's their plan, license old, unknown platformers so they can get them on the cheap, and still look "fresh" to the Appstore? :)

On Tumblr there's this original boxart the devs were showing.

[​IMG]

Also:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/77459/Announcing_Kale_In_Dinoland_Remake_for_the_iPhone.php

12. Thanks for all of the positive responses everybody! :) We were planning on posting here tomorrow, but looks like that was already done for us.

We're aware there are concerns about that. The reason we kept the 4-way d-pad is to stay true to the functions of the original game. Specifically, the vertical directions on the d-pad are used for the fish, monkeys, birds, and spiders, major parts of the game. We haven't shown the monkeys yet, so here they are (disregard the ammo counter, it's a debug shot):
    [​IMG]

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    So you use the dpad to climb vines like in Donkey Kong?

14. Precisely. The monkeys can climb on vines, so if you hop on a monkey, you can as well.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I see, sounds reasonable. Big thing I'm worried about is simply walking back and forth. iOS platformers usually have simply 2 way dpads that are easy for the thumbs to find near the edge of the screen, rather than always looking at the screen to reorient them.

16. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Insta-buying as soon as its out on the appstore, that looks good!
    And by the way, when it will be out? November? The worst month of them all? (The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Uncharted 3, ....)

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

18. Rest assured, everyone who has play-tested the game so far hasn't had any complaints about the controls. Other issues, such as difficulty and progression, are what we're trying to work out now, along with re-tuning the story so that it ties the whole story together nicely.

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Maybe, but you should still do beta tests with people outside your studio to get objective feedback. If the opportunity arises, ask these guys:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=468

They've beta tested tons of games.

20. Thanks arta, we've noted that. It's amazing there are people out there that will give their time to test the game! We will definitely look into it when the time arises.

In the meantime, here are the boundaries for the controls:
    [​IMG]