Do you prefer 2D games or 3D games and why

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Krehol Games, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

Lately I have seen alot of 3D games by larger companies do very well. As technology progress on the ipod/iphone platform , so will games. There will always be nostalgic 2D gamers as well as newer gamers used to 3D games. Iam wondering if most gamers still perfer traditional 2D sidescrolling action games or since the burst of 3D games are now looking only for 3D games.

2. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    2D. Very simple.
    It's very easy to have high quality 2D graphics (Fieldrunners, Cut the Rope, most hidden objects games, Plants vs Zombies), and they're easier on the eyes as well and usually have no lag whatsoever. But is it possible to have smooth PS3-level graphics? Not really. 99.99% of the 3D stuff in the appstore are extremely crappy polygon-like 3D graphics that lag like hell.

3. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    It reaaally dependson what kind of game you want to make. Side scroller, 2d. Fps, 3d. Racing, 2d or 3d, depending on if you want a pole position-like feel or real racing feel. Anyways, it depends a lot.

4. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    99.99%? thats quite exaggerated, sir. Gameloft, firemint, ea, etc do 3D games very well.

5. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #5 November's Chopin, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    And how many 3D games does Gameloft contribute to the entire 3D appstore collection? How many games have retina support out of all 3D games? I don't think 0.01% is that exaggerating. And not to mention most of Gameloft's older 3D games are all polygon-like graphics that lag like hell. :rolleyes:

6. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    so far i have not seen a satisfactory 3D title on iphone. 2D is good for this device, for me.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I prefer good games. :)

If they offer something unique, and are fun to play, they can be in 2D or 3D. I think more people today probably prefer 3D though, just because it looks "cooler." But, at the end of the day, the game still have to be fun.

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I know some 2D artists and developers that will refute that claim ;) Good 2D art requires as much effort as good 3D art - a lot of 2D art actually starts out as 3D models nowadays. 2D scenes may also require more alpha blending and texture bandwidth (e.g. for animation frames). An iPad can handle thousands of solid triangles but a few large blended quads will bring it to it's knees - don't always assume 3D requires more GPU power.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I like both but some games like street fighter for instance show 2d worked best on them I really preferred it in the earlier days and the graphics were if anything better than the later ones.

Another advantage of 2d games generally is the battery life I often play game dev story or football manager if I just want to relax for a few hours while a 3d games won't last quite as long.

Depends on the game in my opinion you can have bad or good games in both.

10. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I wish gameloft would just port the castlevania ripoff hey made for dsi already. Is nintendo holding them back or womething?

11. Krehol Games

battery life

I never considered the battery life issue , thanks for bringing that up. So lagging/slowdown and battery life issues is what holds some people to choose 2D over 3D . Has anyone exp any other issues with 2D or 3D games?

12. GordonSh

GordonSh New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Retail
    Montreal, QB
    Before Infinity Blade showed up, I didn't even wan to check 3D games. I still prefer 2D but is good to know that 3D can look good as well.

13. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though I'm a little concerned about the influx of bad games using the unreal engine that must be flooding our way. If the game design doesn't require a 3d environment... don't use it please. :confused:

14. Dusse

Dusse Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    +1

The kind of games that has to be in 3D, such as FPS, racing (except top-down, obviously) etc, I don't play on my iPhone/iPad (but my console instead).

The best games for both iPad and iPhone is 2D games, and personally I'm especially fond of isometric games such as The Settlers and Sim City (both of them for iPad though).

I just wish there would be more of them, there is a ton of older games that would be perfect for a refresh for the iPad, not the least Theme Hospital, Desperados, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon etc.

15. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    If the 3D game pioneers had had either the eyes or technical resources to get the polygons to look right before being forced by the general public to cheaply wrap textures around things and go off in that direction, the games would have ultimately been more immersive without being limited to texturally-augmented violence and pure ballistic-based gameplay mechanics. Instead you have a bunch of warped-looking, hardly realistic games that substitute a mostly id-oriented experience that depends more on shock factor derived from graphic textural overlays. Thus, with having gotten the basic perspective wrong from the start, people build rocketships and hope to get satisfaction from outer space instead; get the math right on a different frontier.

16. Krehol Games

choice

I had downloaded some 3D games just to get a feel for them. I did see the issue of battery life as a big problem , so those people who mentioned it where right on point.
    As far as console like games , spiderman was close to the console. At this point with the price of most games being $10 or less , developers are taking a huge risk making a big budget game. The 99 cent mentality will be difficult to change , but I seen progress this past month on that part.
    We are glad to see gamers in general still perfer well done 2D games to simple 3D games. We are still in development for our upcomming 2D action game. Iam relived ipod/iphone gamers still perfer traditional 2D platform. Thanks for all the responses.

17. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I don't know why, but I just love 3D. Maybe it's just because it's quite amazing how my little iPod can be playing it!

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1, I really don't have the time to sit down and play a 360 or ps3 all day.

19. Krehol Games

3D gamers

Iam glad some 3D gamer have joined our conversation. So what devices you own and how long does the battery last with 3D games.

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I have a pretty new 4th generation 32gb ipod. I'd say the batteries last me about 3-4 hours for real racing 2, nova 2, infinity blade, aralon, etc. No I'm not exaggerating because the past week I have been fragging noobs in nova 2 online or playing a few bloodlines of infinity blade during my long ass phone convos with the girlfriend. I'd say at least a little over three hours is a safe estimate.