iPad 5 or iPad mini (2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Sep 1, 2013.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #1 klink, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    I just sold my iPad 4 in preparation for the forthcoming release of new iPad's. I loved my iPad 4 but it only had 16 GB and I had major space issues.

So here's my question for gaming which is better the full size unit or the mini? Big is usually better but virtual controls were often a stretch for my fingers and I have big hands. Also the full size unit got pretty heavy to hold for any period of time.

Anyone who has experience going from a full size iPad to a mini or vise versa please share your experiences.

Ps. The bet the new mini will be called iPad Mini Retina.

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You do know it'll be late November before any new iPads go to retail which leave a you a with a pretty long gap to wait.
    And that the next iPad mini (retina or not) won't be as powerful as the current iPad 4.
    Which would make the iPad 5 (thinner bezel will make it easier to handle in landscape gaming mode) the logical choice.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I went from iPad 2 to iPad mini. For gaming, I find the mini better, mainly due to the lighter weight. I only miss the full size iPad for watching movies, videos, etc. I am going to upgrade to the next mini. I think my only real concern would be that the next mini might suffer the same fate of the iPad 3 (not powerful enough for its own display) if they give it retina.

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #4 klink, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Although she doesn't know it yet I've commandeered my wife's iPad 2 for the wait. I better get use to sleeping on the couch. :(

Hopefully they give it at least an A6x processor. Then everything would be fine.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ah, fair enough.:)

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Too early to say, obviously. I prefer the larger screen though. Look at how much people are struggling with Terraria on iPhone. A Mini would ease the pain a significant amount, but for some games you really just want as much screen estate as you can get.

7. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Mini's are great.

If you're pimping the fanny pack.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I ditched my ipad 3 for an ipad mini, and it was a great decision. Overall, i loved the mini better, but there are things i miss now that i gave the ipad 3 to my father-in-law.

To sum up what im missing, it's what a larger screen offers mostly. But to be more specific, board games, and strategy games in general, are so much better played on the regular ipads. Never explored the genre much when i had the ipad3, but i know Final Fantasy Tactics and Eustrath were friggin great on that. Having said that, i would love to play XCOM, Autumn Dynasty, Anomaly Korea and Ravenmark on the larger screen, and with retina visuals as icing on top. Even puzzle games like Puzzle Saga and Might and Magic Clash of Heroes wouldve been so much better played on the larger screen, i imagine. I also miss playing Cytus and Demons Score on the iPad3.

However, the larger ipad does get heavy when playing 3 hours straight, unless it's games similar to those i mentioned above, or generally a game that can be played with the ipad resting on a flat surface.

For games that can be or should be played with 2-hands, like the usual platformers, or the vstick-games, which is generally how most of the iOS games are played, the mini came out more viable.

Of course, i miss the retina visuals offered by the ipad3, and the sharper looking experience when browsing on it.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You didn't sell the iPad 2 and give her the 4, then? The couch sounds about right! ;)

10. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    I honestly think the iPad mini is beyond stupid and bad. iPad or none of them is what I would say, I use latest iPads myself only for my mobile needs. I rather have my old none touchscreen blackberry as a phone and the step after that is a computer, the mini is like some retarded stepchild not fitting in anywhere. Sorry if people like the thing but... Come on.

11. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    16MB? Dang. Must have been running a port of MS DOS.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I told you I had space issues. :)

13. Ipad 5 is much better for typing and web browsing if that is a concern.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am interested in upgrading to the iPad 5 from the iPad 3. I really hope to see better battery life and the expected lower weight will be very welcome. Besides the new styling, I have no idea what improvements to expect over the current iPad 4. If the 5 is just an iPad 4 with the mini styling I will pass.

I would not touch a mini. I think the iPad screen size is a perfect compromise between portability and usability.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will get the iPad 5 if it has longer battery life and is lighter.

If not I will get the iPad Mini if it has retina and can last for more than 11h of use on 3G.

Otherwise I will keep using my 2 iPad 2s and put my money towards either iPhone 5S or 5C.

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

Wait fanny packs aren't cool anymore? When did this happen?

17. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    i have ipad4 16gb with 20 times battery charging...only reason why i want to change ipad4 to ipad mini 2 od ipad5 is weight,he is so heavy,i think he got about 650gr...but if new devices didnt have new better processor and ram i think i will keep mz ipad4...

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Since Desmond started wearing 'em in the AC games.

19. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I'm more into a device that should be supported for a few years by Apple and developers. I'd expect for there to be more support on the higher priced product, so it's probably going to be iPad 5 for me.

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I do plan to play a lot of board and strategy games on my iPad. I also like to use my iPad to browse the web (who doesn't). It sounds like from everyone's feedback an iPad 5 would probably be my best bet. One problem I had with my iPad 4 was the Smart Case I purchased with it. It wasn't very gamer friendly with the large hard seam around the case.