Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Had this on my list for ages and finally bought it. What a great game! Only played a few games so far but it seems like a lot of fun. I am sure it gets even more fun vs human opponents.

I hope the ai stays solid for a while, I need a good plane game
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM

I bought Yomi on the basis of a Boardgamegeek blog recommendation and I like card games. The tutorial isn't great and the game highlights the available cards you can use so it's too easy to start randomly throwing down cards without really understanding what you are doing or why you can only use certain cards at different times.

At first I thought 'Wow, $10 for a stupid rock/paper/scissors guessing game.' After persisting, I thought 'Ok, this is a game about maximizing damage when you guess right.'

After more playing more and reading the forums, I started to realize this is a game about hand management, like poker. Poker is a random game, yet the good players win consistently and understand the odds.

After many more games, I came to appreciate there is even more depth: you must out-fox your opponent on the initial move based on what he's played and his strengths, maximize damage while considering future potential, manage your hand, play according to your characters strength, and capitalize on your opponents characters weakness. All at the same time.

The rock/paper/scissors description of the game does an incredible disservice to the depth and play balance of the game.

I think Yomi is an underrated game with the caveat that it's hard to get into.

Some things that could improve: It would be nice to be able to turn off the card highlight helper to force you to learn the rules. It's one thing to understand which cards you can use in play, it's something else to look at your hand and understand the optimal card to use at that time. Also, the cards have too much text on them. I found turning off the help text on cards to be easier to read. Being able to view all the characters cards from within the app would be a great help. The fantasy strike site is a mixed bag. The few characters who have completed guides provide a wealth of tips, information, and understanding of how to play against other characters. The other guides are incomplete. It's a steep learning curve for newbies.

I think Yomi is an amazing card game that captures the unpredictability of fighting with diverse characters who all play very differently. If you enjoy card games or fighting games then it's well worth your while to check it out.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:09 AM

I can only agree with bungho.

IMO Yomi blows all the card collecting games out of the water.

But since it does not have the card collecting/deck building metagame it might not appeal to the current pay-to-play generation.

A lot of players complain that Yomi is just "Rock/Paper/Scissors" but seem not to realize that their favorite card game is just "Rock/Rock/Rock".