Controls in Edge - swipe speed?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Adams Immersive, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Glad to see Edge back in the store!

But the controls seem off--and I'm wondering if it's a bug, or just my device, or intentional:

The faster you swipe your finger, the slower your cube moves. The slower you move your finger, the faster your cube moves. That seems backwards. Other than that, swiping moves the cube predictably and intuitively.

So if you're moving carefully along and then need to rush, you instinctively move your finger faster... but this slows your cube to a near stop.

Or, if you need to slow down to avoid a dangerous edge, you instinctively slow your finger down... but this makes your cube speed up and leap to its death.

It could be intentional, but it's undocumented and seems so unrelated to the game's real challenge (and frankly, not fun) that I had to wonder. Otherwise the game is great and fun, but I've come to realize how much this problem hampers my enjoyment.

(This is version 1.31, on an iPhone 3G with OS 3.1.2.)

2. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Whoops?

Wrong section. This should be in "Game Discussion".

3. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Are you sure? I thought that section was for general discussion about games/genres, whereas this was the section for discussing any specific game.

I read the stickies and this seemed like the place. Mods please move it if not :) Thanks.

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Use the on-screen arrow control scheme, its much better

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I just checked and the controls still work as they always did. The farther I move my finger from the drop point, the faster my cube moves. Little cubes make you go even faster. You might want to reinstall if you are not too worried about losing your progress. You can also try, as Will090 suggested, the on-screen D-pad. I prefer the swipe method but it is not everyone's cup-o-tea.

6. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #6 Adams Immersive, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Hmmm... the distance I move from the drop point makes no difference here (a short swipe vs. a long swipe both behave the same). However, in testing that fact, I figured out the problem and how to solve it :)

You're not meant to keep MOVING your finger at all--you're meant to swipe and then hold still like an invisible joystick. The controls work fine for me when I use them that way :) The fact that dragging results in inverse speed is just a side-effect of the way they coded the "invisible joystick." I suspect you're not even meant to have different speeds you move the cube at. The cube is probably meant to be either moving or still, and no variations in between.

If anyone's curious to see the side effect that's been driving my crazy, just pretend you're supposed to keep swiping--treat the cube as if you were moving the cursor with a laptop trackpad. Try moving one inch with your finger in a very slow swipe. The cube will go pretty fast. Now try a really fast inch-long swipe. The cube will move so slowly it barely budges! Not a bug, just a side effect when the controls are used wrong.

In any case, now I know that neither the speed of your finger nor the distance you drag is supposed to matter. Just how long you stop and hold.

(I tried the D-pad, but prefer swipe.)

Thanks, all!