Universal Only One (by Ernest Szoka)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    #281 RebelBinary, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Found out what was wrong, both wave 74 and 75 have a bug where the the final units takes 70 seconds to spawn, I will fix it ASAP and it will be in the next update. In the mean time just wait it out until they spawn

2. dingdongfootball

dingdongfootball Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    So awesome to see you still working on such a good game. This update rules.

3. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks, I already pushed another update for review, this time with Achievements and some fixes for the bugs I missed in this release

4. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm really enjoying this game and wouldn't have found it if I hadn't seen the article on TA about the update. Gives me that Atari/NES vibe :cool: One thing, sometimes the game hangs up at the end instead of giving me the option of restarting. Closing the app and restarting always works tho (I'm playing on an iPhone 6). My 5 year old son gets a kick out of this game too, and cracks up at the yells when you knock someone off :)

5. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey glad you like the game. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this bug as I've had one other report, but I'm still not able to reproduce. If you can send me some details like what level it was on, what enemies where present, how you died, and if you had any IAP purchased at the time, that would help me narrow it down. Just send this info to [email protected]. Gladly appreciate any help as it really bugs me that this is happening.

6. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    I got the same bug a few times now. It seems to happen only when I get a new highscore.

7. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Had the same bug several times, only when you get high score, the game doesn't let you restart. iPhone 6+

8. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have figured out the issue finally and it will be in the next update soon

9. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    This game is incredible. Right off the bat you know this is and indie game. The sprites and art direction remind me of 10,000,000, another game that is one of my personal favorites and what I consider a classic iOS title.

I find myself playing this game consistently for hours. I find trying to master the combat system of timing the strikes and blocks incredibly addictive. I haven't played a game with such long session lengths since I was back in high school and only pull myself away from the game because enjoying and playing a game for so long feels so foreign to me these days.

Props to the developer for including the treasure goblin of Golden Axe in the game. It still invoked the same feelings it did so long ago. And I still absolutely want to bury my sword in that Goblins face every time he appears. I also like the ode to modern games he's included such as Flappy Bird. A great game is a great game, right.

The voice overs are incredible as well. The tone of the voice overs in the game remind me of Altered Beasts. The colors of the game as well. "I GROW IN POWERRRRR". Everything from the NPC falling off the pillar to the sword sound effects. TOP NOTCH! I know this game was developed by "Only One" man, who did the sound effects?! Was it the developer?

Another thing that hits me with this game is the setting. The spirituality of it. There can only be one! A man with a magical sword set to a mortal combat to the death on top of a living sacrificial pillar in the heavens. Maybe some sort of stone giant. Love it. It reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. One hero guided by the light of his sword to fight gods or titans in a mysterious land. There are no details, but the situation and setting seem to be larger then you are and you are called to duty. To see things through. To journey into the unknown.

Let's not forget about the cake. And thank you for listening to the comments and your fans and putting out great updates for this game. Including and endless mode!!!

Thanks Ernest. ONLY ONE! This masterpiece is GROWING IN POWERRRRR!!!!!

10. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    #290 RebelBinary, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Only One 1.222 Massive Update Update released

1.222 is out now, please go and update, it fixes the highscore crash and the level 74/75 glitch. It also has Achievements added, just 6 basic ones to start with as well as some minor stuff.

New in 1.222
    - Achievements added
    - fixed crashing on highscore
    - fix spawn delay at lvl 74/75
    - highscore/achievements in level select in game over menu
    - bats easier, skeletons give score when destroyed, fangz bug fixed
    - ui fixes and tweaks
    - new icon

Thanks man, I hope to do a few more small things, but really looking forward to making a new game as well :)

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Tis a fun game. I encountered the Fangz glutch but then updated and was able to knock him out pretty easily.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #292 Cilo, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    I have a couple of suggestions in case these haven't been asked already:

1. Any chance you'll add sound options? I'd like to be able to mute the in game music and play my own. At the moment if I am playing my own music and open the game it kills the music app.

2. Will there be an option in the future to enlarge the buttons, or customize their size/placement? It gets annoying not being able to do this.

3. Considered allowing Dart to cause damage on its return not just its release?

4. And lastly, please please consider more sword colors, more hero skins, maybe different pillars/backdrops before you consider leaving this game! It's been a favorite of mine for awhile now and I'd love to see development continue on such a gem.

Awesome update btw, I'm very happy I supported Only One back when it came out in Feb. by purchasing the Ultimate Power doubler. So worth it!

13. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Already exists, look for it in the settings in the pause menu

Nope

No, but I intend to make it faster on return so your less vulnerable

Maybe add one more character, and some random event, but that's about it

14. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Only One Version 1.23

Only One Version 1.23 updated

-more achievements and achievement banner now pops up
    -valkyrie buffed to +2 shields
    -inferno buffed, shorter cooldown and cost
    -fireballs no longer look like flying pizzas
    -skullraiser-skeleton level pass bug fix
    -balancing
    -last 30 waves slightly harder
    -minor bug fixes

I have yet another update in the works

15. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I randomly got back into this game recently and have been LOVING IT. It's really well done and charming and engaging. One thing: I think maybe it's time to lose the references to memes? The cake is a lie? Flappy bird? A quote from some other humorous property each time you die? Simply referencing other properties is not actually humor, and it's time to move on. A reference is not a joke. I believe that the games that truly stand the test of time and stay on a device for a long period are the ones that act like they believe who they are, meaning this game should pretend to be super-serious. That's where character and charm come from. Breaking the fourth wall with self-conscious references is severely cheapening the experience for me. Just some food for thought: Might be time to age-proof your otherwise wonderful game. If the game constantly breaks character, then really, it has none.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    The cake is a lie!

Billy

17. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    #297 RebelBinary, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Only One 1.251

It's been a while but I have another update! Version 1.251 has been released with the new treasure chest/key event

Gif of it in action
    [​IMG]

v 1.251
    - treasure chest and key random event, kill the key carrier to open the treasure chest for a good or bad surprise!
    - use power to bypass levels in level select
    - simplified daily sacrifice dialog
    - buffed inferno, dart abilities
    - fixed buying abilities pressing button too quickly causes game crash/corruption
    - fixed scrollview in Abilities dialog multitouch crash
    - swapped abilities/settings icon so it makes more sense

Oh and the game has since surpassed 1 million on both platforms for a total of 2.2 million downloads!

18. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Only One 1.26 Fanatic Update

Another good small update 1.26 The Fanatic Update

Introducing a new low level enemy hand to hand combatant called the 'Fanatic'

[​IMG]

Their loosely based on the faith militant, guess I've been watching too much game of thrones lately :)

Here are the other details on the update
    - new enemy ‘Fanatic’ fast moving hand to hand combatant
    - you can now upgrade/change abilities in the game over menu
    - external music no longer muted in game, you can now listen to your own tunes
    - buffed the barbarian, less slow with more push force
    - minor balancing (freeze longer cooldown,inferno bigger, bats slightly easier)
    - minor ui changes and fixes

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Just awesome! This is still one of my all time favorite mobile games! Thanks for continuing to update it. Do you have any other projects coming up

Billy

20. MBowman

MBowman Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I disagree. I think that not all games have to take themselves seriously. Look at Saints Row as a good example of a game that is constantly making fun of itself and random gaming tropes in general too, and it only adds to the game.