3.0 update on two devices??? Yeah I searched.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by le'deuche123, Jul 10, 2009.

1. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Hey guys,

Hate to just make a whole new thread for this, but searching for 3.0, firmware, update, software, etc, is a futile effort as I found out. This also is probably a stupid question, but here goes...If I upgrade to 3.0 will it cover all the devices on my account?? My girlfriend and I both have ipod touch's and want to upgrade so we can play more p2p games. Flight control comes to mind. Anyway any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Oh, and sorry if this is the wrong section...

2. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    i believe it has to be bought twice.

3. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    You mean like... If you bought a game from 2.x firmware, and wanted to upgrade to 3.0, could you still keep that game? Yes you can, but if you mean that if you and your girlfriend share the same account, could it go on both of your devices? No it can't on the new iTunes upgrade. You have to pay for each one if you want it on two devices or more.

4. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Hi le'deuche,

I have my 1st gen ipod and my son's 2nd gen ipod on the same computer and each has to be upgraded separately. The upgrade can only be done when the device is syncing, so I can't see how you could get around this... hope this helps!:)

5. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks guys! So I have to pay $20??! The shadow guy, said that after 3.0 all games have to be bought seperately, is this true??? So after I upgrade, My girl and I won't be able to share applications?? So I would hypothetically have to pay $22 to play online flight control with my girl??

6. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Well, I upgraded for free, following instructions from a site. It worked superfine for me. So, if you want, you can PM me and I'll give you a link to the site.

7. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    i actually let my friend use mine as in he redownloaded it on my account on another computer and it worked, if that helps

8. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Well dang, this looks like it's going to be a major pain in the ass!! Any further assistance is appreciated, and thanks to everyone who already responded:)

9. bsg112358

bsg112358 Active Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm fairly certain that you are only charged once on your account. I upgraded to 3.0 on two 2G iPods and one 1G iPod and it only shows up with one $10 charge on the account. And they were all downloaded on different computers.

10. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    That's what I thought should happen, reading the above posts scared me a little. You're sure it only charges once for an account right? ;)

11. bsg112358

bsg112358 Active Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Yeah, I just checked the receipt again and it only shows one charge. So as long as you use the same account, it should be fine.

12. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah, I'm going to be using one computer, so hoping it will just charge the billing account once, and just install the update on both ipods.

EDIT: WHOO HOO!!! Just read above, and that fills me with joy! Thanks for all your help!

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Whenever I go to the download page it tells me that I've already purchased it and to click Download to download it again for free, so I didn't think it should charge twice :) good to hear

14. williaaaam

williaaaam Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Student
    Scotland, UK
    It can be done!!!!!

last week i to managed do this purchasing it once! I bought it on my account for my ipod, my dad then wanted it for his ipod touch too so i gave him it.

Heres how to do it:

locate the file - in :C/program files/apple computers (this folder may be hidden)/ipod updates etc etc

in itunes, plug in your girlfriends ipod and in the main tab right click restore whilst holding shift.

Locate the file and it will update it.

Simple :D

15. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #15 Greko, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    You only have to purchase 3.0 once with one account and any iPod touch of the appropriate generation can update to the 3.0 software on the computer the software update was purchased on.
    This is because when you purchase 3.0, the .ipsw (firmware package) is downloaded to your computer, so any iPod touch of the appropriate generation can update to 3.0 if it's connected to your computer and you update or restore through iTunes.
    It shouldn't take you to a purchase page if you've already downloaded 3.0 when you click the "Check for Update" button in the Summary pane of the iPod touch. If it does, you can simply hold the Shift key on your PC and click the "Check for Update" or "Restore" button and a window should pop up. Simply select the .ipsw file and click "Open" and it will update that iPod touch to 3.0.

If you're running Windows XP, here is the location of the .ipsw file. Keep in mind you will need to have hidden files and folders viewable to access it.

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserAccount\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

16. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks Greco, Nice first post!!

17. Also if you pay the $99/year and become a dev you don't have to pay it. Then again I thought I was saving $40 or $50 with 4 or 5 devices (friends/siblings, etc.) but in actuality just saved $10..ah well.

18. TheKrazyRussian

TheKrazyRussian Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    UPS
    CA
    I have a total of 4 different iPod Touch devices linked to the same account on one PC and i only had to pay $10 upgrade fee once.
    I works just like an App, you can have the App on as many iDevices as you like as long as they're all link to one account.
    It will ask you if you would like to upgrade and pay, but then it will say the same thing it says when you re-download an App.
    (You already have this, would you like to download again, or something similar.)

19. ShadowsFall

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Hmhmm, which sucks BIG TIME.. It's true and it's horrible! wait what..? $22 for what..? Flight control costs..99 cents?

20. ShadowsFall

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Wait... I think you could acually use one account to just buy an app twice.. I'm pretty shure you could do that... Or maybe not.. You could try it out for an app that updates a lot like Pocket God (not advertising :D.. It just has plenty of updates), then try to update the app on both devices. See if it could use the username twice.