How do you feel on full price mobile games like adventures of pip?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spader623, Jul 27, 2015.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    As in the mobile price is the same as other places. Personally I think the mobile price should be LOWER then other places. The reason for this is that it's a better port in the sense that, for example, I'm playing with a controller on my Wii U, on a TV screen. The iPhone or iPad though does not have a controller. What do you guys think though?

2. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
  3. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Well, as long as the game has the same amount of content and has the same quality of a console game, I find it okay, also, there's controllers for iOS (you can even use a Dual Shock 4)

4. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I think that if there is the same amount of content and the controls work well (not using Adventures of Pip as referente) the price should be the same

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    When buy a console, you're also buying controllers. If you want controllers, you can buy them for iOS too. If you prefer direct touch... the console won't give you that option.

So console games should cost less, to compensate you for requiring a controller :)

6. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I think developers should only release to mobile when their game stops selling on every other platform.

7. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I think it's more widely accepted that iOS games should be lower than their PC/Console versions. I don't expect this trend to change much.

For me though, if a mobile game is also available on Steam I'd probably buy it on Steam, regardless of price, assuming it's better designed for PC (not talking about games like Geometry Dash where it feels natural on a mobile). I think games that are designed just for mobile tend to be more enjoyable than ports.

I bought baldur's gate for my iPad and deleted it simply because I didn't like the controls, not because I didn't like the game. I have some fond memories of playing BG 1 and 2 back on my PC years ago.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The games only $10 and also was on sale when it was first launched

Bold move but I hope it pays off for them as in my view ios games are so cheap anyway. Prices should be higher

9. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm using this as an example because it's $15, same as steam. I don't think I've ever seen another iOS game be the same on steam and consoles. Anyway, I'm not against iOS games being pricier. Oh no, not at all... But, in my personal opinion, they're of a lesser quality then console versions/PC, partially because while yes you can get a controller, that's just extra money. PS4 has a controller, PC, Etc. iOS you have to use extra. Do you guys get what I mean?

10. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    I think this is an interesting question, and I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really agree with your point of view. The way I see it, macs/pcs and consoles are cool, but limited to one place, where mobile is, well, mobile. Since we've come to a point in technology where we can actually have a great gaming experience on our devices, I don't really think there should be much of a price difference.

However, since the market is saturated with great titles at really competetive prices, its harder for me to spend 15$ on one game when I can buy two or three high quality games for the same amount. For example, after reading pip's review, I considered buying it, but seeing the price, I opted instead to buy "her story", then "deathwatch", and even "shadowrun dragonfall", which I had missed completely. All of this for 13$. I didn't buy them all at once, of course, but these are the last three games I purchased.

So, while I agree that hard work should be rewarded with a fair price, as a costumer, I will look to better deals first.

11. GaurhothW

GaurhothW New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    One of the key factors in the pricing has to do with the indie publishing scene. It is not easy to release a title on to disc for a console. It has always set a certain bar and subsequently the pricing has remained consistently higher on consoles than mobile platform (and even to a lesser degree the pc platform). indie publishing possibilities such as Steam have led to a large class of games that could never sell for $60. There are very few digital only games on PC commanding top dollar pricing.

For mobile, the issue is more pronounced. With the ease of indie publishing, the sheer volume of crap titles is exploding. This, makes the consumer leery of putting down $60 for a mobile game up front.

Another factor in mobile pricing is longevity of guaranteed compatibility. I lose a few games every time there is an IOS update. Consoles don't suffer that type of decay. PCs can be a nightmare, but you have some control over both the hardware and OS upgrade cycles. With IOS, you have few options but to upgrade or lock your self in to a corner with no support for newer titles.

For these reasons, I think the market has decided that mobile games have less overall value... despite the fact that the overall effort to produce a quality game is the same. I think the market is right.

12. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Why are we posting the same thing that was posted two weeks ago on the front page . If u want to argue or conversate about why not do it there. This has been posted three times now in the forums since then

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Many many games dont make a profit on iOS. Perhaps they're just trying something different. Dont blame them for that. They advertised it for a week or so that it was at this low launch price, lots of people were on the fence when it was a few dollars so i must admit i find it amusing when the price went up and they're all 'oh i didnt realise, i was going to buy it'. Most sales of a game are in the first week so i'm surprised so many people twiddled their thumbs when the price was low

To be fair most of your threads have already had threads made about them in the past with 'best xxxx type of game...' etc

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    When you "purchase" an iOS title you are not really buying it but renting it for an undisclosed amount of time. Console games will always run on that console as long as you have both. Not the case with iOS titles because the operating system is always changing. Perfect example is Rhythm Theif. A $10 game that will soon be broken because the developers will no longer support the servers. Honestly, I have so many games that have been broken by ios changes that I can't count them. Surely over 100.

15. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    I never even thought of this. That's a very valid point.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The real problem is that the devs may have the intention of letting you "rent" the app indefinitely, but apple frags them up.

17. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    I want to see prices even out with Steam. I am all for the cost of games going up. I want more experiences like Chaos Rings 3, but we will not get them as long as we continue to assume mobile games should be $1 or free. My dream is to have my iPad be my "go to" gaming system, but until we decide to pay for game development, that will never happen.

18. MBowman

MBowman Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Whatever the market can bear. Simple as that.