MANOS: The Hands of Fate - 8-bit 2D Platformer from FreakZone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DistantJ, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    #1 DistantJ, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Introducing MANOS: The Hands of Fate for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, due out July 26th 2012!

[​IMG]

MANOS is an homage to all of the cheesy games you remember from your childhood! Remember how every film and cartoon had it's own platform game adaptation? How concepts in the film were made completely nonsensical for the case of gameplay? When every man, woman, child, animal and inanimate object were out to kill Marty McFly, Freddie Krueger filled the streets with bats, ghosts and frankenstein monsters and Darth Vader would casually transform into a scorpion? MANOS will take you back to the fantastically absurd movie adaptations of the past!

[​IMG]
    ^ Torgo takes care of the place while The Master is away.

The story: Lost on their vacation, Mike and his family have wandered the desert trying to find a place to stay, only to wind up in a strange haunted hotel. Maintained by Torgo, an unusual man/satyr who "takes care of the place while The Master is away", the hotel is swimming with paranormal activity which Mike has to brave through to find his now missing family. Who is The Master, and what does he want with Mike's family? Mike, armed with his trusty revolver, will have to wander the haunted halls, venture out into the desert, uncover a dark temple and battle MANOS, the great god of hands, to find out!

[​IMG]
    ^ Mike can defend himself with his trusty revolver.

MANOS takes influence from, and pays homage to, video games and pop culture including: CastleVania, Zelda II, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Angry Video Game Nerd, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and many more!

[​IMG]
    ^ Even to the bosses are authentically retro.

The game's graphics are all drawn using only the colours and sounds of the NES console, and we have (mostly) stuck within that console's limits for an authentic retro feel.

MANOS is built on a modified AWESOME Land engine, so expect super-solid controls and authentic retro gameplay!

[​IMG]

2. Clash Force

Clash Force Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    8-bit! Sweet. I'm a fan (obviously). I think the nes might've been the only console that could pull of a neon pink sky and not have anyone question it.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Are you trying to take every penny I own? :D

4. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    ...In an ideal world! XD

5. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    As usual, you own me. Please, please fill this with loads of lovely levels and let me buy it as soon as possible. This looks even more awesome than.. well, Awesome Land, which is pretty awesome. Naming it after one of the worst films ever made? You guessed it: awesome. I will very impatiently await this. :)

6. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Awesome Land was great and I'm sure I will love this but what happend to your other game that you were developing. I believe the main character was a little green creature who used his tongue (not sure if it was as a weapon or just to grab and stick to certain objects). Did it get cancelled?

7. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks for your interest! No, both have been in development for a while, nothing is cancelled! Both are to be released soon!

8. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Back to the Future reference? Sold!

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow!

Talk about a movie that has been ACHING for a game adaptation! :rolleyes:

This was always one of my favorite MST3K covered movies.

11. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    This looks really awesome I can't wait for this to come out! Thanks for making some NES style games for ios it's really amazing!

12. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I'm a huge sucker for 8-bit platforms.

13. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Froggia has been delayed until later to make room for expansion and to allow more work on MANOS, we've added some further enhancements to it based on feedback from AWESOME Land and reaction from around the net to the first MANOS shots. The level you see in the screens has been altered to appear more like El Paso, Texas and the game is also being developed for Android. New screens soon!

14. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Sweet looking game! Will it be free?

Any news on a release date?

15. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Not free (gotta put food on the table!) but release date is June. :)

16. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Will be on my games list this year. :D

BTW how much are you looking at for price?

Can June be narrowed down?

17. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Great to see that release is still on-track for soon, as I'm very anxious to play this one. Looking forward to video, too. :)

18. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I know the iPhone doesn't have a Start Button, but it just looks so much more authentic with that phrase... XD

We’ve applied heavy “NES game adaptation logic” to MANOS - a scene of a kissing couple in the movie becomes a recurring hazard/enemy in the game, a closeup on a fireplace becomes a giant snake boss battle, the game revels in the glorious bizarreness of classic licensed videogames… We certainly had fun watching the entire Angry Video Game Nerd back-catalog as ‘research’ for this one.

Do any of you guys have any fond/bizarre memories of NES (or Master System, or whatever else) game moments which just don't make sense outside of retro game logic? If you mention something we particularly like, we may include a reference to it and thank you in the credits! ;)

19. BlaikAwesome

BlaikAwesome Active Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Retro action?? I'm in!

20. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    The splash screen art:

[​IMG]

Feeling nostalgic yet? :D

What a terrible condition to keep a priceless game box in! I wanted it to look like some kind of rarity somebody found at a garage sale somewhere... For the complete retro experience, we've written the dialog partially in 'Engrish'. We were even toying with the idea of having the user blow into the microphone to simulate blowing into a dusty NES cartridge but it became annoying and playing it in public proved embarrassing...