Devs that doesn't take the appstore seriously

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iNexus, Jan 31, 2011.

1. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    developers like capcom and sega are constantly shitting out crappy low production value games and ports, while they make good quality games for other portable handheld like DS. Resident Evil for 3DS looks so much better than the resident evil for ios even tho 3rd gen n higher devices have similar hardware. Sega is also just releasing old ports trying to milk whatever money is left in those old franchises

2. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Don't you think this is an extreme generalisation?

3. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I'd rather they release something shoddy than release nothing at all. At least it allows other games to look better in comparison

4. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    They can charge $30-40 for other platforms though to actually cover that cost. Meanwhile ungrateful apple shoppers don't want to spend that much, but want equal or more. So it no longer becomes financially sound for many developers to invest in such a project. As great as Dead Space is on iOS, it's still not as complete in features and length as on the console/PC. It's more the economy of the app store and the state of the consumers' mindset than completely the developer's fault.

5. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    i think the reason for the price difference between ios games and games for ds,psp,etc is because with those game they require more cost for distribution, make the game, copy it on a UMD, or cartriage which cost money, then package it, deliver it, etc u get my point and on the appstore u just make the game, upload it, and no cost to keep it there. This way distribution isn't as pricey so games can afford to be cheaper. If game developers invest more money in the game then they can raise the price to say $15 or more which is near chaos ring's pricing, and chaos rings sold a lot of copies. The reason for apple shopper not wanting to spent much is becuz from what they've seen on the app store, they dont think they should spent more becuae no game has rly reached the level of a true gaming experience where it deserves more than $10 at the most

6. steveios

steveios Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Honestly the reason developers dont make " console quality games" is even if they did something close to it , people here will complain oh it doesnt have this or that feature. Dead Space is incredible but you still see people say oh this is missing oh thats missing. Even if a game is console quality , buyers see fit to complain on how it lacks a certain feature that it doesnt lack. Buyers will always complain unless its 99 cents. Where as console buyers do complain but still buy the games. I have the DS and PSP plus the ipod. I love carrying around the ipod as its easier but game wise it still has a way to go. Not because of developers but people need to worry about quality and not price.

7. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    There is no reason to continue rehashing this. Major developers want larger profits then what the Appstore can offer them. There are some exceptions. EA is the biggest, but you have to understand that EA is the only company, as far as I can tell, that takes software development serious for every single gaming platform in existence. EA does not exclude anybody. Many other major, established, multi-platform companies have drawn a line in the sand though. Either offer us more profits, or we will seek out higher profits elsewhere. Activision is a prime example of this.

8. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    EA is huge though. They have the financial power and people and developer contracts to really create a quality game and market it well, even moreso than Gameloft. They are a statistical outlier really.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Anyway to change doesn't to don't in the thread title? It's causing a pain in my neck.

10. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    #10 BreakerofNations, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    I dont know why you guys are so hard on capcom. Sega I understand. MaXplosion is an amazing game and if it didnt get copied or was an original idea it would get all kinds of awards. Its a nintendo fsnboys wet dream. They love that stuff on the ds but we got it instead.

11. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Or, possibly:

- For your Capcom complaint, has it occured to you that the hardware for the iPhone isn't as good as the one on a new Nintendo gameboy? Also, have you realized that the 3Ds just came out and the iPhone version of Resident Evil was made a year ago, when the games weren't as advanced?

-What's wrong with porting games? Think about all the people who want to play Sonic again on their handheld devices. Think about Phoenix Wright and Street Fighter 4. They port games because they are enjoyable and want to expand those to a new market, not because they're lazy and don't care about you.

Is it too hard to have a less greedy mind...?

12. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI

iOS hardware blows any gameboy hardware out of the water.

There is no gameboy that comes close.

The DS on the other hand is entirely different...

13. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    okayy i must admit RE was released a while back and hardware wasnt as good but RE4 wasnt even a full game why wud u release half a port. Then wat about the recent dead rising its graphics suck, controls were horrid and so was pretty much everything else, i swear they arent even putting effort into the game, just slap the franchise name on it and hope it sells. Then you have games like Dead Space with beautiful graphics n intuative controls n doesnt need the franchise name to sell. The only decent game i played from capcom is SF4 which i thought could be better in terms of graphic and controls

14. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Speaking of EA, they have the money. I think that even if the profits are small, there's still profit, and EA decided that what the heck, let's put together EA mobile and make some pocket change. Other companies onthe other hand think it's just a waste of their time. Which I for one think is a real shame because they won't lose money if they make games, and some companies are just too greedy.

15. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Why should devs take te app store seriously? It's a download store, mainly for applications. Anyone notice that the most popular and highest grossing iOS games are smaller pick-up-and-play games like Angry Birds and Doodle Jump, not GTA and Dead Space. That's because despite what some people think, the iPhone is a phone, not a dedicated gaming handheld. The iPhone is perfect for smaller games like Peggle, not ginormous-sized battery-leeching games like Need for Speed or every Gameloft game ever. Some developers like Sega or even Activision will treat the iOS platform as a quick cash grab to sucker in people to buying their cruddy ports and ludicrously priced Zombie maps while the quality titles go to the dedicated gaming systems. There are dozens of fun bite-sized games in the app store, but only a couple dozen meatier games (most of them from Gameloft) usually from developers who develop mainly exclusively for iOS. Maybe console developers feel limited with the power of the iPhone or don't like how Apple handles the app store, who knows. Just be happy with the good games you have and try to ignore the rest of the crud.

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    I know one dev who takes it TOO seriously: Igor (doodle jump) lol

17. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    What about the ipad though? Ots just a big smartphone or made for productivity? Last time I checked dead space was on the top spot for grossing app on it.

18. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    today capcom released Devil May Cry: Refrain From Buying........i rest my case

19. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I don't think it's that they're not taking it seriously, it's that they're not necessarily sure how to make it work with just a touch screen. Sonic 4 was actually a very solid effort by Sega, and I wouldn't say they're shitting on iOS for that. Capcom also did a great job with SFIV, and continues to support it by adding new characters.

20. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    We get well worth the price. People saying the games are crappy cannot be serious in making sense. You want $60 console game on iphone/ipod for $6.99-$9.99 that makes no sense. You get what you pay for not only in appstore but in life.If you want high quality you have to pay for it plain and simple.