Is Twitter worth it?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Amelia, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ok, so Twitter to me, thus far, has seemed pretty mundane, pointless and superficial. Can you really make a worthwhile following/connections on Twitter to make enough sales for your app?

Have people experienced any sort of measurable success that can be directly linked to Twitter.

I might have to bite the bullet and start Tweet-ing but wanted input first.

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

If people are interested in what you make and want to keep up with what you're doing, they'll follow you. A lot of the developers I follow talk about their personal lives exclusively and it's kind of pointless. You can use hash tags to try to get people to find out about you in the off chance they're searching for the topic you put up.

It's really a crap shoot. People are either trying to sell you something or using it as a diary (or re-tweeting everything they see). I use bit.ly to track who is clicking on links I put up so I can see what sort of reactions there are to posts but it's all kind of relative. Whether they do anything on the other side of a link is the same as advertising.

I say just use it, let it happen organically, and don't be a tool.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Twitter will cost you nothing short of maybe buying one of the premium clients for your phone (which cost what ,$3 maximum?), and will take you mere seconds a day to maintain. There's really not much reason to ignore it as an advertising avenue, regardless how silly you think it is. ;)

4. +1 And for all your followers, it's a really easy way to get in touch with you and you to them.

5. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    well, then. I will try not to be a tool. :eek: and get twitter happening soon.

6. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Couldn't have said that any better. It's basically free, non-time consuming advertising and it demonstrates your willingness to communicate with potential customers. It's win-win. Go for it.

Q

7. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Ever heard of Erik Qualman?
    Watch one of his videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONGJLiK9g8

8. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Twitter is awesome. You start conversations with people, discuss various things and just update your current status.

The best thing is, it's not Facebook, where you have a profile which your family can track/view.

Twitter allows you to just be yourself as long as your family don't know your username.

I'm @WunDaii , and have great people who follow me, and I follow greater people.

Just my two cents.

9. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    xD yes nice :D

10. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    3 words: PROMO CODE CONTESTS

11. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    #11 Vingdoloras, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Oh yes...

"Follow & RT @<yourtwitternamehere> to enter the promo contest! You can win a promo code for <yourgamehere>!"

Creating a massive following is sooooo easy on twitter...

(I have a twitter account, i nearly never tweet, but I already got 7 or more followers I don't know... lol :D getting attention on twitter is eeeaaasy! PLAY to PLAY :D)

12. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    well, not too worried about my family knowing about me, because we're really close, and there's really nothing I could do or say, at this point in my life, that would surprise, offend or shock them. what can I say - my twenties have been fun! :p

Is it really not time consuming? I've heard from some people that they spend hours on twitter every day (not in this community). Is it really only a few status updates a day? and how do you manage all the info coming in? it seems overwhelming as some people post like, every 10 minutes it seems.

I was on twitter about a year ago, and stopped because everything just got lost in a lot of people doing what the PP referred to as "being a tool".

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll be following you all soon. :cool:

13. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    1. You don't HAVE to post once every 10 minutes! It would be enough if you tweeted about some recent changes on your program, the update progress etc.
    2. Making your game famous is not about talking as much as possible, it is about making people talk about your game! Having people RT some of your messages can cause huge chain reactions which attract the user's attention pretty fast...

14. WunDaii

It's time consuming, in a sense that you're bored, and that the point is just updating your status, for example, "#twitterontheshitter".

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Twitter is free publicity for you and your app(s). All it requires is time.

16. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Important thoughts for you-

* Do NOT post every 10 minutes, or even hourly. That's a sure way to get removed from people's follow lists.

* Do post some personal info occasionally, but don't make them your only tweets.

* Don't make yourself sound like a social misfit, drug abuser, etc, etc (even if you are one!) Always be semi-professional even when talking personally.

* Do post updates about your work occasionally, but not 10 times per day (oh I wrote 10 lines of code just now, I drew one sprite, etc).

* Do communicate with fellow developers and help them out with Re-tweets of their games when possible. They will be more likely to return the favor when you need some advertising :)

17. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks for the tips CommanderData.

It's a whole new world.

also, i hope my PP didn't make me sound like a social misfit or drug user... :eek:

18. etoiles

etoiles Well-Known Member

We did that twice (once through a review site, once on our own) and got about as many new followers as codes we gave away. Maybe we are doing it wrong, does this actually work for other devs?

19. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    If you make such a Twitter Retweet Contest, tell them to actually FOLLOW you and RT!

Also, tell people about the contest somewhere, maybe here on TA (remember origin8's Friday Promo Giveaway?)

20. WunDaii

Actually I pretty much do all of that, yet I have over 150 followers, who are all great.

That's pretty much what Twitter's for, to update your current status.

I do that literally every 5 minutes, and that's how conversations start.

Bottom line: Twitter is teh shizzle ;)