Best Platform Game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BTM4444, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    As HD titles seems hurt some non ipad owner, I made a new list with no HD, take care I always played on ipad, the gameplay can be different.

• Trundle (you progress through levels and manage many platforms so it fits the genre, but it's also based on kinetics. It has also a touch of humor and poesy which is rather rare. In a way it reminds me Another World that in it's time had something very special.
    • Jet Car Stunt (yes your hero is a car but that's definitely a platform game, great, difficult but the difficulty is the price of its fun)
    • Despicable Me: Minion Mania (perhaps too short but funny, nice graphic style, a touch of humor, good puzzles and at almost each level, one or two new trick to find, imagine or discover)
    • Bounce On 2 (for me the best among those almost classical)
    • Parachute Ninja (a bit difficult to play on an ipad and advise it more to iphone because a control is to tilt and another is touch some targets, but it's a very fun game, using bouncing, trajectories, parachute)
    • Mirror's Edge (very nice translation of a first person game into an original platform game. The trick very well done and not seen often is how the speed is well implemented, the only problem for me is its difficulty a bit high)
    • Soul (just a great game even if difficult, the horrific mood is rather funny but could succeed make you do the wrong move because of the surprise, I like a lot its rare gameplay focused on keeping control and cold blood)
    • Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (one more very original particularly well designed for touch controls, the controls and actions are so pleasant that it easily fascinate you, making you forget the time limits)
    • Chop Chop Ninja (rather original using a lot jumps and bouncing in funny ways, a key is to learn climbing through chained jumps and bouncing)
    • Babylon Twins (the most classical of my list, very well done, with well designed levels and progression tricks to find).
    • Stick Golf (yes a golf game which is a platform game, the delirious levels totally non realistic generate an excellent and original puzzle platform game)
    • Plushed (cute game with charming mood, but perhaps a bit too difficult with some levels a bit complicate and sometimes series of run and jump a bit too difficult, still an excellent but tricky platform game)
    • Assassin's Creed Altair's Chronicles (if the classical pad and its difficulty decrease a bit my interest in it, it's still a very good game with a nice density of story, interesting progression, if I was a more dexterous player I would have put it higher in my list)

2. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I didn't think that Hook Champ was so good either, but I can't see how ANYONE could dislike Super QuickHook. It improves on Hook Champ on every level and is one of my favorite iPod games of all time.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    @Qordobo... You have great taste friend.

4. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Thank you but well don't be wrong I just copied good suggestions I found mainly in those forums. :)

There's multiples titles quoted here or in other older similar thread that I added for later to try.

5. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Bought Trundle

Looks pretty muche like "Night game" coming for WiiWare

6. r0x0r

r0x0r Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Germany
    For me it´s Soosiz and Giana Sisters.

7. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Lol I'd wrote "Night game" coming for WiiWare Looks pretty much like Trundle. :)

I don't know this Wiiware game, but about Trundle style it's really a mix and to details hard to explain. I'm 100% sure not all people will feel it the same. And I'm not sure it will produce a similar effect on an iphone than on an ipad.

The graphic style has been seen but it reach here something that hits more, but certainly not all people. But also the game mood is a whole and is far from coming only from this.

The little funny personages you meet and more importantly their comments contribute a lot. Don't rush and wait listen what they want say. Also there's something funny in the using of kinetics and this add to the whole mood. For example I don't remember in any other game that made such fast and long jumps like in this game, some go through almost two screens.

8. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Mirror's Edge isn't on the iPhone yet

9. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i feel like maxplosion is the best platformer i have seen in awhile....it is very polished and it has good controls and nice graphics

10. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Soosiz, Rolando 2, Bounce On 2

Maxplosions slider is too big for it to be comfortable to play

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Have you decided? we gave you plenty games to choose from......

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    For those of you who have played the Sonic games, how are the controls? Do they work well for a platformer on the iDevices, or would one be better off passing and looking for platformers elsewhere?

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hi there

Newbie, just bought an Ipod Touch a few days ago and i've been addicted to it every since ! Amazing the range of games

Anyway i'm looking for any single screen platform games.

(Eg like Bubble Bobble or Bomb Jack).

Found a 'decent' Bombjack clone with Star Jim Galaxy Hero.

Just want to find more decent single screen platform games, any suggestions?

Cheers

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Um There's one called Amor: The Unicorn keep thats pretty decent.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, that looks like one i would like, downloading now

Any others please let me know ! Was hoping other 'Bubble Bobble' type games were available, eg Parasol Stars, Rainbow Islands but they dont seem to be there.

16. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Try the lite version of Qwak: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/qwak-lite/id395571610?mt=8

Not quite bubble bobble but a similar feel, if a bit more hectic.

17. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    rayman 2, prince of persia warrior within and mirrors edge.

18. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    when league of evil comes out i feel like it will be the best retro platformer to date.......60 levels of pure retro goodness......

19. eightbit gamer

May 1, 2012
    #59 eightbit gamer, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Here's some of my favorite platformers...

League of Evil 1 and 2
    Spellsword
    Scorched Monster
    Kung Fu Rabbit
    Stardash
    INC
    Meganoid
    Pizza Vs Skeletons
    Fancy Pants
    Paper Monsters
    Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf
    1-Bit Ninja