My device is constantly rebooting on it's own

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pocketnova, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's by far the worst. I'll be doing any random thing, from playing a game to watching Youtube, and it will start rebooting on its own. (The Apple logo will popup etc.) It has become so bad that it will sometimes reboot while it's rebooting. I've tried everything that I can find online (aside from taking it to the Apple store, which aid really rather not do). Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    The title should say Its, sorry. Sorry about that.

3. Did you reformat it?

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I recommend taking it to a Genius Bar location, they've got good analysis tools. Worse case scenario they'd trade you in for a reconditioned replacement for ~$100.

Consider turning it off for a period of time or re-installing latest iOS from iTunes (which are random guess suggestions).

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Mine has done a lot of reboots since iOS 7

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    When something like this happened to me, it was because I didn't have enough memory available. I removed the apps working in the background and freed up a lot of memory by removing songs, movies, games, etc.

Or, I had an app that was incompatible with another app and I had to delete apps from the most recent purchases backwards to find the culprit. Once identified, I'd write the dev about it. All of the above happened while on an older iOS and I haven't had issues since.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I had it happen once or twice on iOS 6 but doing what coke daddy did fixed it, I've not this issue on the current iOS but I do get iOS peri stalled crap crashing a lot. Gamecentre hasn't worked for me since updating to 7.1 leaderboards and achievements etc all say no items. I'm hoping it just fixes itself lol

8. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Heh...I've been called worse ;)

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Omg, lol.

Gotta admit I've done some embarrassing typos, I really should check before I hit post lol.

10. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    np, cp ;)

11. Coke daddy, what a name cloudpuff! :p

12. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for all the help! I hope it's just an incompatible app (I'm deleting my more recent ones) But another issue has happened, but I don't want to create another thread, which would just clutter things up. I tried. A full restore and used a backup, but, even though the backup had the apps that I wanted in the info.plist, I lost almost half of them, including some of my favorites like Wayward souls, KOTOR, and the Wolf Among Us. Please tell me there is a way I can get the progress for those back!

13. Pocketnova.

I wouldn't do a restore. Just a fresh format.

I always prefer my computers and ipads clean even if I have to manually add all apps and settings.

On an ipad, it is quick to put everything back on.

14. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Good idea, but I'd rather not do that because a lot of the games I have don't use iCloud, which means I would lose everything, right?

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Haven't had that problem myself, but I am aware of an issue specifically having to do with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's got what's called a boot loop. Turn the phone on, and it shows the Samsung logo and a couple other things, then reboots over and over and rends the phone useless. I returned my first one, then, when it did the same thing on the second one, I decided it wasn't just defective and racked my brain to try to figure it out, talked to several T-Mobile people, none of which were aware of it and knew of no remedy, then finally figured it out myself. Everyone was returning Note3's. I showed corporate the fix and they were appreciative and passed it on. (Felt like a genius for a minute) Still, to this day Samsung hasn't publicly admitted there is/was any bugs in it. Was a vague but simple fix, so if anyone has this problem, I can walk you through it if necessary. PM me.