Glorkian Warrior, By Pixeljam & James Kochalka (shmup, platformer)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pixeljamgames, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixeljamgames

pixeljamgames Active Member

Apr 26, 2011
    jammin pixels
    Asheville, NC
    [​IMG]

Hello forum folks, Miles here from Pixeljam. This is the first time I've posted in the TA Forums so I should probably intro myself and our studio as well. We've been making retro-styled games for Browser, Mac & PC since 2006, but we are finally making the plunge into iOS & Android. Our best known game is probably Dino Run (which we are slowly getting over to iOS), but this post is about something we've got coming up very soon - Glorkian Warrior: The Trials of Glork.

The game is a hybrid of Galaga-esque shmup (aerial invaders doing procedurally generated flight paths & formations) and Mario-style platforming. The emphasis in this game in particular is blasting invaders and watching Glork interact with his Super Backpack and various citizens of the asteroid he lives on. We are working on a much larger Glorkian Game that's more about platforming and exploration, but that will be a long ways off.

We're really excited to be working with James Kochalka on this, who's probably best known for his "American Elf" comics, and most recently the SuperF*ckers series on Youtube. This is an all-ages game though.... aimed at kids and adults alike.

It's an "endless shooter" basically, but more of a satire on the genre. No IAP or gimmicks, just keeping it simple & fun. That's how we like to do things :) Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, and we'll be uploading more screens, videos and info as we have it!

-Miles
    http://www.pixeljam.com

[​IMG]

2. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Hey, this is James Kochalka. I'm the artist and writer and I came up with the basic game concept.

I'm also working on a series of Glorkian Warrior graphic novels for the publisher First Second.

I'm super excited that we're nearing release on this game. This is pretty much a life-long dream for me (I grew up on 80's arcade games and Atari) and I think we've made a pretty neat game.

Galaga mixed with Mario is pretty much a perfect description. But I think the alien wave patterns are much more intense than Galaga.

3. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello.

I'm the Sound Wizard for Pixeljam, and I made the music for Glorkian Warrior. It's a light-hearted, fast-paced, adventure!

We're all really proud of the work we've done w James Kochalka to make this game.

Below is a link to Corporate Climber, a crazy Pixeljam game, with a fun chiptune soundtrack, that we did for Adult Swim:

http://games.adultswim.com/corporate-climber-adventure-online-game.html

4. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
  5. Mark DeNardo

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    #5 Mark DeNardo, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Teaser Trailer

Description

Glorkian Warrior: The Trials of Glork is a collaboration between acclaimed comic book artist James Kochalka and indie game studio Pixeljam. It's a unique hybrid of Galaga-style shoot 'em up, simple platforming action and Saturday morning cartoon. Help Glorkian Warrior defend his asteroid against an endless onslaught of alien invaders, and be prepared for somewhat unexpected results...

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://pixeljam.com/press/sheet.php?p=trialsOfGlork

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Love the art style and the cool retro arcade music.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Awesome, you guys did Dino Run? It's shame that the Kickstarter didn't succeed, was anticipating the sequel.

First time seeing this game and it looks great. Will there be any more platforming elements, like multi-tiered levels or gaps to jump over?

8. Mark DeNardo

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    Open call for beta testers!!!

If you are interested, please email [email protected] and say you are interested in beta testing for Glorkian Warrior.

Thanks. :D

9. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    You'll have fun!

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Email sent :)

11. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Email sent! This game looks amazing. :D

12. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I've been beta testing this game for a couple of days now and i absolutely love the game ! Great , funny visuals and sounds and addictive , just one more go gameplay .. Sadly I am apparently not good tester because apart from iPhone startup problems i really did not encounter any bugs :-( sorry . Will keep playing and testing though :). Also a great feature are the many control schemes you can choose ( will send back a report about which I like and do not like) . All in all a game to look forward to.

13. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad to hear that you've been enjoying it!

Miles programmed a version the game to play to play itself, and that's one way we've gone about finding the bugs. So, we did a lot of testing even before we sent it out to our beta testers.

Pocket Gamer just did a great write-up of the beta:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Glorkian+Warrior:+The+Trials+of+Glork/news.asp?c=57061

We didn't consider that folks might actually review the game while it was it was still in beta! But it's worked out alright since they seem to like it. Phew! The real test of course will be when it goes on sale.

14. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

Judging from the gameplay video, the game looks pretty awesome!

Good luck with the release! Guessing you don't have a specific date planned yet?

15. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I'd like the game to be out before my Glorkian Warrior graphic novel comes out. (The book comes out the end of March).

We plan to submit the game to Apple this month, I think. If everything stays on track, it looks like we should be able to do it... fingers crossed.

16. Mark DeNardo

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    #16 Mark DeNardo, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. Mark DeNardo

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just an update:

We submitted the game to Apple today for review, and are hoping that we can release the game when we are currently planning.

Thanks to everyone that helped beta test the game! We couldn't have done it without you.

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    A graphic novel? From you? With all the funny sense of humor shown in the "cut scenes" I cant say no that that either. Will be buying both Glorkian Warrior and the graphic novel when they are out.

19. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Thanks! The graphic novel is titled The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza, and will be out March 25. (You can already preorder it on amazon, in softcover or hardcover).

It's a totally different story than the game, but there's some cross-over. The Magic Robot (a giant floating robot head) features in both.

20. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Just had a look at the preview Amazon gives and its very funny. Will get it since one of the business I run is a bookshop and... its a book! :p