Poll: Freemium Games Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Jan 13, 2012.

?

Freemium Games Yay or Nay

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. Yay, they're great, keep Em coming

5.3%
  2. Nay, I'm sick of them

84.0%
  3. Nyay , I'm undecided

10.7%
  1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Ok so we know the way the App Store is going and it's most likely going to end up being full of Freemium games more than ever soon. But do you think that's a good or bad thing?

Please answer the poll and explain your reasons below.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You are really on a roll with this anti-freemium stuff lately.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol.

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Cannot stand freemium, the way iaps are rammed down your throat by a lot of games nowadays is ridiculous.
    I liked gun bros back before its shop became stupidly expensive but stopped playing after all my progress got deleted for the second time, but looking back I dont know why I bothered as there was very little in the store that could be bought easily, everything required hours of grinding of IAP.
    This mentality has spread to many more games and although there are some that can find a good balance (Dream League Soccer, Bullet Time HD) most go for Glu/Gameloft model of shallow games with massive stores full of very expensive items to temp IAPs.
    Gameloft need to get out of this mentality. With any luck gameloft montreal (MC3 guys) will carry on making premium games while the rest of it goes downhill (lol at the 1 star reviews for DH3, six guns, RF12 and urban crime).

5. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    It's getting beyond a joke and ruining what was a stable industry.

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
  7. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    At least that page shows that gameloft should stick to premium - their best entries are MC3 and their top 5 apart from oregon trail (wtf) are premium

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    If you are THIS upset over it then perhaps I could interest you in a 3DS? A Vita?

9. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I'm as upset as other posters in this thread. The emergence of "wait 24 hours or pay to play the next turn" or IAP expendibles has me spending much more time on true game consoles. Yes, I have a DS (not 3DS, that gives me a headache) and will pick up a Vita to upgrade my PSP.

Maybe your post is not as cavalier as it reads to me, but this forum could become a ghost town and you could end up moderating tumbleweeds if more companies go the freemium route. I only came to the forum today to see if anyone else was sick of the freemium model, guess I'm not the only one.

Also, with Apple featuring Zynga and other freemium companies recently, they don't seem to be concerned about what could happen in the iOS gaming space either.

10. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Lately though apart from reviews I am only using my device for twitter and safari. If I want to game I use my PS3 and all the new games I have (Probably got every latest release). Where I used to play games on my iOS device I now don't and it's sad as the iPad is great for certain games. But at the moment there are hardly any good full on paid games out. Can't wait for Paper Monsters and Kids vs Goblins.

11. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Which is worse, a freemium game that requires you to purchase in game content to excel quickly or a $60 retail game that has $20+ of DLC content on launch day?

12. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Freemium game.

13. Spamcan

Really? Wow. If I download a game for free and it sucks I don't have to sink any money into it yet when I buy a new game and it's missing characters, weapons or maps that the publisher wants 1/5th of the cost of the game for or more I feel cheated.

14. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    But if you pre order console games you get dlcs for free mostly now. Anyways I wouldn't buy a console game without reading a preview or review first so it's not really valid.

15. Spamcan

#15 Spamcan, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    What games have you been playing where that's been the case? "Ultimate" Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has two characters missing and charges $5 a piece for them, Mortal Kombat did the same. Gears of War 3 and Saints Row 3 both have "season pass" DLC that goes for $20-30. Don't even get me started on Arkham City, that game will nickel and dime you out the wazoo if you let it. Every instance of compulsory pre-order DLC I've seen is usually something that should be in the game in the first place and represents a tiny portion of the DLC content available for it. Pre-order DLC, season pass DLC and online pass codes have recently become the standard for new major releases and it's completely soured my opinion of console gaming for the first time ever. If it remains this way I doubt I'll be picking up anther console in the future and I've owned nearly everything released since the NES.

16. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    In depends on where you go. I got Battlefields for free. And getting the first Mass Effect and SSX ones for free. Get bonus stuff too like hats, posters, manicans etc. but that's a totally different subject.

17. Spamcan

Both freemium games and excessive DLC can be considered forms of IAP/DLC abuse, the only difference is in one case I'm paying for a product and having content withheld and in the other I'm not paying for anything up front. Even if you can in some cases get some of the DLC content for free that doesn't change the fact that launch day DLC, pre-order DLC and online pass codes are freaking obnoxious and ruining the console experience for me far faster then freemium games could ever ruin the iOS gaming experience for me. I have something like 400 iOS games on my phone and not one of them is freemium.

18. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Who's the 12 year old who said yay?

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland

20. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes but we have no real console games which the iPad can clearly run. Imagine a proper assasins creed, a proper uncharted on iOS?