Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Promo Codes and Contests

Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Lol I hear you, I gave him 4 stars.. Honestly what guy wouldn't like the material in his magazines

Last edited by Luciano1084; 05-27-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
Maybe cap the prize amount new developers can offer to $50 dollars or less. If the developer is established or has a history on TA they can offer bigger prizes. It seems like a lot of work to get involved in creating and managing escrow accounts. Or maybe all contest prizes could be capped at $100 dollars. I have fun entering small contest and supporting developers. I think big prizes sort of spoils the whole thing.

I hope a few bad apples don't spoil it for everyone.
I completely agree. As an indie developer with a limited budget I might be a little biased though, but it does make it a more democratic when all developers and games get a more equal chance of attention - i.e. when even indies can afford a prize that's similar to those offered by the big boys!

I really like the idea of these little competitions - especially with FTP games where promo codes are pointless. Hopefully Apple will allow us to offer promo codes for IAP soon though.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

One suggestion is that the developers/promoters have to use a verifiable random draw of the names, so that:

a) Contestants can see that they were in with a chance.
b) In the case of app-review based contests, it is transparent that it was random and didn't just go to the person who left the nicest review.

This one is free, and seems to be good: [URL="http://www.randomresult.com"]www.randomresult.com[/URL]

Enter this "Ticket" number and you can see a test draw that I made:
7783X57KY
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Hi Eli, it's peter from appsasia. We met in Korea when you were here a couple of years ago

Looks like you have some great suggestions, but many are from users. Here's my 2 cents from the POV of actually doing many giveaways. We've given away thousands of dollars in items, gift cards, etc here on TA. I think we have built a great reputation here and look forward to continue to do them here. I would be a shame for a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us

1. Maybe adding the iTrader feature on vBulletin would be good indicator of trustworthiness for developers or companies such as mine that regularly do giveaways. That way feedback or reputation for those who run giveaways here can be more in a quantitative form so users on TA know who to trust and who not to trust.

Here is a screenshot.

2. Might be a little more work but choose someone to be a moderator on the contest forum to receive the gifts first (gift cards, redeem codes, etc) and then send them out to the winners. I think you have some dedicated members here that would be willing to do something like that.

3. not sure if this is possible on forums but rafflechopter is a pretty popular tool for website owners when they do giveaways. It definitely makes the giveaway more transparent for both the winners and the company doing the giveaway.

4. Create a blacklist or 'i got scammed' sub forum on TA. In the case that the developer has indeed not given out the items promised then users should be able to report them in this sub forum. The moderator would then send a PM or email to that developer and ask them to respond to the allegation within a 48 hours or some other set time period. If the person in question doesn't respond then they should be banned. If they do respond then the moderator should mediate and decide who was in the right or wrong.

In addition, a post in that subforum or a post in the giveaway forum should be sticked and could have a list of developers or companies who have been banned, (in the case they create a different username) so users can avoid them in the future.

Well... hope those suggestions were helpful Look forward to doing more giveaways on TA!!

Last edited by AppsAsia; 07-16-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM

What's the best way to report a Dev not paying out on a contest?