Universal Infinity Blade II - (by Chair Entertainment Group, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JeNeI, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well said.

Sadly, I find it hard to see how the current implementation could become anything else than a minor feature at best, or a gimmick at slightly worse. After all, all we do is what we've done in IBII all along. We fight the same enemies so many thousand of other players have fought, in the same way we've fought them all along. The only differences are that we can see how many other players have fought this particular enemy, and that sometimes, the opponent can't be defeated.

And, yeah, we get no xp or progression from the battles, but sometimes, we are rewarded with a non-exclusive item (one I'd personally rather earn through normal gameplay, as I always have the feeling that I haven't actually done much to earn the ClashMob rewards).

I usually tend to keep my hopes for social gaming features down, but I must admit to a certain disappointment. I actually thought Chair were on to something rather big, in the context of adding social features to single player games.

A system were the current record holder for damage (or defeat time, for weaker clash mobs) was displayed on the victory screen of each ClashMob event, ClashMob-specific leaderboards, tons of ClashMob-related achievements, online profiles for players, with special badges for particularly noteworthy ClashMob deeds/achievements, etc, would probably not enough to actually be enough to make ClashMobs a major feature, but it would have been a start, and an attempt at community-building and a competitive climate that would have actually added another layer to IBII.

Without much hope, I'll keep holding out for true knight-versus-knight multiplayer.

2. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    While I agree with the part of your post I deleted (hence why I'm not answering to it). This part I don't. IBII is a grind based game with a limitless level limit. So... can you quick guess who all those trophies and stuff would go to? If you want skill to be considered, maybe something that kept track of succesful parries/dodges/etc, most combos, something not lvl reliant would be better. But yeah as it is I participate for it to make my life easier in the campaign since I dont feel like grinding all the time (although I've yet to use the items I got in CM).

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #2063 Exact-Psience, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    Check out this gem i got...

DUAL PARRY ALL GEM
    Parry All Attacks

The gem's name hints that there's one for each of the weapon types. o_O

EDIT: Tested it out. Almost too broken. Parry shields bashes, punches, kicks and headbutts... it's that awesome. And I also have a gem that deals 822 damage for each parry. Both these gems can be equipped on the second most powerful dual sword Kurtz. Doh!

EDIT2: Funny how I parried all of Thane's ice bolts. :D

EDIT3: ...And a rancor's bite, and all his claw swipes. LOL

[​IMG]

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2064 Ayjona, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    I said "it would have been a start, and an attempt at community-building and a competitive climate that would have actually added another layer to IBII", never that this climate and layer would only represent skill. Many players (myself NOT included) are equally, or more, motivated by the desire to grind and level competitively, and to top charts and leaderboards that reflect time invested as well as skill.

HOWEVER, I am not, and agree completely with your suggestions for pure skill-based achievements, trophies and whatnots ;) But as far as I can tell from your post, you agree with my idea for such an extension of the ClashMob system ("ClashMob-specific leaderboards, tons of ClashMob-related achievements, online profiles for players, with special badges for particularly noteworthy ClashMob deeds/achievements", and a, or several, record holder/s displayed on the victory screen for each ClashMob event, though not just based on damage or time), just not with the actual achievements/trophies/deeds given as examples.

Luckily, I never intended for those to be the only examples of ClashMob records and competitive stats, as I always (with no exceptions) prefer achievements that represent pure skill over time invested. Both research and personal experience indicates the majority of players do not, however.

Purchasing Sky Gnomes the other day gave me another good example of how ClashMobs could have been implemented to foster a competitive and communal climate (though there is much that could be added to Sky Gnomes as well, to achieve the effect I wrote of in my previous post). Chair, should you EVER happen to swing by this thread, do put 1/1000000000th of your IB2 earnings towards a copy of Sky Gnomes ;), and study Foursaken's implementation of automatic participation in online tournaments, special rewards, incentives to keep playing, bragging rights and medals, etc.

On the grind-based nature of Infinity Blade II, I am not convinced to exclusivity. While the grind is certainly omnipresent, tightly interwoven with nearly all mechanics, I have seen players who can best almost any enemy with almost any equipment setup, just by merit of pure skill. Of course, since few of us will ever attain such levels, for the vast majority, the game will be grind-based. But since not even gear can save an unskilled player at higher levels (unlike so many non-twitch-based RPGs), and since skill can conquer almost regardless of equipment, I'd say that Infinity Blade II is really skill-based, but wrapped in such a tight and almost impenetrable layer of grind that most of us will never know the difference ;)

All this talk of skill just makes me all the more excited (though still without hope ;) ) for a true knight-versus-knight online multiplayer mode, and the resulting competitive community that might almost grow to match that of Street Fighter IV for iOS...

While I most certainly agree on its brokeness, I'm SO getting that gem! :D Not being able to parry all attacks is one of my greatest annoyances with the game (even though I understand perfectly why the mechanic is necessary :))!

Howd'ya get it?

EDIT: It only ALLOWS us to parry all attacks, right? Not auto-parry?

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yes, it allows parrying all attacks and does not let you auto parry.

I got it by randomly just mixing gems making sure that the result takes longer than the previous mix, until i got to high end gems. Not sure if it follows a formula to get certain rares.

6. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    Wow ._. talk about broken stuff on IB2

Needless to say, i want it XD

Although, no auto parry doesn't seem like its broken.... The parry damage one does though

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ Yeah I've been trying to get that for a while now. I've been on the other IB2 forum talking about it. Seems to be random in getting it =\

8. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i read back several pages, but everything seems to be about clash mobs...i have some questions regarding the regular game.

*spoilers* *asking for spoiler hints*

i've beaten thane a few times, dragged the god king back to him and gotten trapped in the cell. it shows the girl walk up to the castle and then a short clip of the worker of secrets (or me in his clothes?) looking at the glowing thing in his hand, and then it starts over at the beginning of the game.

is that it? is there more to the game, like an alternate ending? can you play as the girl?

i was thinking maybe it might be different if i beat it with the infinity blade, so now i'm grinding away towards buying it. but if there's nothing more, i'd much rather put this time into some other game.

*end spoilers*

as for clash mobs, i have no one in there because apparently none of my facebook friends play this game. does it not connect with your gamecenter friends? if not, that seems awfully dumb.

also, i just did one mob where the reward is a potion. wtf.

and one final topical topic, i also ran into the invisible enemy problem. and before i saw this thread, i managed to fix it with a rebirth. hopefully this isn't happening to people with bosses other than the first!

9. Pasc

Pasc New Member

Apr 25, 2012
  10. tungtrinh87

tungtrinh87 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @putermcgee
    yeah, that's the ending of the game at this time , but there's a high chance Chair will make an update and expand the story and we can continue the story of IB2
    there's no alternate ending , you cant play as Isa and nothings will happen when you aqquire the Infinity blade right now
    i think your friend in clashmob is facebook and twitter but no gamecenter

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep that is the ending, all that happens after that is restarting the game and levelling up.

The Facebook thing, I don't have any of my Facebook friends in my clash mob but there is still over 100 people in it from gamecenter. There is a thread on the forum for friending on gamecenter for the clash mob which I used , we all friended each other on gamecenter and they showed up in my clashmobs listing. It doesn't have to be your own actual Facebook friends, it just has to be people that are on both gamecenter and Facebook. It doesn't automatically add those people to your Facebook friends list either, just adds them to gamecenter and clash mob.

The invisible enemy thing I have run in to a couple of times. It's obviously a bug but mostly I solved it by shutting down the game and just restarting. The enemy is visible then.
    Once it ended up in a loop where I did the above, the enemy was visible again but after the battle, another invisible enemy turned up in the exact same spot and the character never moved on and it just looped the same battle over and over. A rebirth solved that one but mostly shutting down, closing it from the multitasking bar and restarting the game solves it.
    It's probably a memory issue that will be solved in an update.

12. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    -watches that helio armor titan-

13. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    thanks for the replies. i just got the infinity blade, but i guess that won't change anything for now.

as for the clash mob, maybe i'm not as active on gamecenter as i'd like to be. i'm just not into friending a bunch of people i don't know, so i think i'm doomed to roam the plains and kill lame titans alone!

back to the game, what are peoples' favorite paths? sometimes i like to go all the way to the bottom, jump off that bridge, and then back up to the top. get the full tour, you know?

14. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    I personally think they should start giving gems imnthe clash mobs, as there's no point in me, someone who had the best equipment and a lot of gold to keep doing them, also it should be updated for retina as it apparently hasn't been updated yet

15. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    Oh hey Chair, mind telling me why I can't pick up the Helios Armor? I'm not able to claim the reward.....

I want that Helios Armor....

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have it. Got it from the mob rewards. :D

17. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    :( i hate clash mobs' shitty system... I can never claim the things i want... only the really crappy money bags

18. thebleeptruth

thebleeptruth Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I've played in all but maybe 3-4 clash mobs to date and I have never had a problem claiming rewards for mob victories, even when it took me more than a day to claim it.

Hmm...... hopefully it gets fixed for other users.

19. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is there an era on fixing the invisible mob? I can't seem I get past it even with rebirth... And has taken me backwards to rebirth 3 now.

20. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i haven't been able to claim ANY equipment in which i participated and won