iPhone 3.0 >= PSPGo?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by alexhardy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

OS 3.0 allows peripheral hardware to interact with apps, so the thought ocurred that Sony may have unintentionally shown us where the iPhone could go.

If the development community could agree an "industry standard" mapping of iPhone inputs to traditional controls (e.g. accelerometer to analog stick) and 3rd party controller makers implemented it consistently then we'd have something that looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    If it weren't for the Monster Hunter Freedom Series...my PSP would be non existent as it is right now collecting dust until Monster Hunter Freedom Unite drops in a couple weeks...

Hope you liked my answer!!! :D

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
  4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... if the gamepad ever comes out :rolleyes:

Really guys, I mean stop. You can't compare these two devices. One is a multimedia player that happens to play games. The other is a game device that happens to play media. Each were made with different goals in mind. Stop living a delusional fantasy where Apple takes over the entire electronics market. Nothing beats a dedicated gaming device.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    The iphone does...

I've had DS and PSP since they came out and I've logged more hours of play on my iPhone that i've only had since last oct.

the day of portable consoles is coming to an end, and a new era of tri-quarters is arriving.

6. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    What he's trying to say is that a dedicated gaming system will still outsell/outcompete a multimedia device that happens to play games. Sure, the iPhone has games, but you have to consider the length of each and what demographics it applies to. The PSP and DS are the real holders of the handheld gaming market with the DS pulling ahead. They have longer games and (go ahead and call me an idiot) higher quality games mainly because they have big-name devs constantly churning out games. EA does a lot of handheld system games but not many iPhone games.

7. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #7 mofard, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Agreed, dogmeat is just dreaming
    And don't feel bad about saying that the PSP and DS have high quality games, because they do have great games like zelda, metal gear solid, final fantasy crisis core, new super mario, and the list goes on and on, plus with the addition of a gamepad these gaming consoles are much better than the buttonless iPhone, the iPhone is great for quick 5 minute bursts of gaming, where as the psp and DS is what I take on a long plane or car ride. :)
    And if you hack your PSP btw you can play games like super mario 64 ;)

EDIT: I noticed that the icontrol pad blog hasn't been updated since January 20th 2009, are you sure it is going to come out? And even with the controlpad the quake game is running with delays but quake on the psp runs full speed and you can add background music of your choice onto it

8. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I really hope they don't release an attatchable gaming pad. The iDevice isn't a gaming device, it's a multimedia platform, and there's no need for it to conform to Sony's or Nintendo's design since it adds a unique feature to gaming the other two can't offer right now: exclusive touch screen gameplay.

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Whoa whoa whoa, just caught that. I don't honestly think portable consoles are coming to an end yet. That'll be when dolphins develop jetpacks and monkeys start taking over the world. While the iPhone is a strong competitor, mofard hit right what I was tryting to say; the iPhone is not a so-called powerplay system. It is played in short bursts. Now, if a game such as Zelda came along, I could see a shift in the general concept of iPod games, but we all know that Nintendo isn't allowing Apple to get one of it's larger properties. Even a game such as Carjack Streets didn't hold my attanetion for more than a few minutes. Yet Kamazar was right on the money with regards to what he said earlier; the iPod is a music/video system, not a gaming platform. Thatw as more of an extra feature. Gaming is the entire purpose ofthe DS and PSP. Both have the ability to play other multimedia, but that's not the focus.

10. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #10 mofard, Jun 10, 2009
    Apple won't because they are not developing the icontrolpad, but if you think about it lots of games like hero of sparta and assassin's creed use sometimes faulty virtual dpads, even though the dpads are on the touchscreen

yes, and that is evident in the short battery life too compared to the DS and PSP

11. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    That's a good point about the Hero of Sparta and Assassin's Creed thing, maybe that's why I didn't like them so much. :D

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Truth be told, the DS controls for Assassin's Creed weren't so hot either.

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Exactly. A direct comparison between the two is as faulty as a direct comparison between a video game home console and the PC platform. PCs have games, yes, but they aren't game systems. You do a bit of everything on a PC. Games are just an addition...if you wish to play games on them at all. And it's the same with mobile platforms like iTouch/Phone. You can buy a PC or a mobile for reasons completely unrelated to gaming. Can't really do that with a portable game system or video game home console, as the reason they are even made is to be targeted at those in the market primarily for video games.

14. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #14 mofard, Jun 10, 2009
    Yes but imagine playing new super mario on the iphone, that would be impossible on the DS the controls are amazing

Agreed, but still PC Games are very great and high quality, like gears of war, fallout, etc

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD

I actually cringed at that thought. ;):D:confused::(

16. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    It needs two analog nubs and shoulder button or no dice, I'm not interested.

The single biggest complaint against the PSP, the one that pops up again and again is that it only has one analog nub, if Apple ever releases a gamers version of the iphone, they sure better be smart enough to include dual analogs and a shoulder button.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    And the difference really extends right down to design of the games.

Again, PC and home consoles. You can play both at home, sure. Nowadays you can play both online. But look at the differences. Differences in interface, user experience, etc. The default stock "controller" with a PC is the keyboard/mouse combo. Sure, you can add a USB control pad that is like those of the home consoles...but as an add on the support will be far less than keyboard/mouse. So game designers had to wrap their minds around developing primarily with keyboard/mouse as the standard control interface, as well as the fact that most PC users have their set up on a desk...where they sit close to the monitor (or, at least, closer than one would while watching TV in the living room).

There have been a ton of home console to PC ports in the past, and even home console-esque games on PCs. But quite often they were panned as experiences better fitting the home console market. Interface differences have much to do with it, but also there are slight differences in terms of consumer interest, and this has been the case historically when comparing home console gaming and gamers with PC gaming and gamers.

In a similar way iTouch/Phone's accelerometer and multitouch combo presents a different interface paradigm than the portable game systems. Even DS, with its touch screen, did not eschew the physical controls of the Dpad and face (and shoulder) buttons. And since iTouch/Phone is a mobile device in the mobile market, and not primarily a game playing device (although a viable platform for such software), there too are differences in consumer wants than found in the portable game market even when focusing on the market for games on a mobile platform like this one.

We see it all the time on the app charts: the best sellers aren't just best sellers because they are inexpensive, but because they "fit" the idea of mobile gaming as "minute gaming" as opposed to the portable game system market where, although meant for shorter burst gaming than their home console counterparts, the systems and their games are designed for longer play periods than mobile platforms. That's why "deep", or, rather, longer lasting games tend to not sell as well as those "quick release" games on iTouch/Phone, regardless of price. The majority of the iTouch/Phone game consumer market seems to prefer short diversionary gaming rather than something they really have to invest a greater amount of time towards.

18. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Somehow, I was hoping my explanations would be longer than yours. :)

Anyways, comparing a PC and a home console as compared to the iPhone and handheld gaming systems is way to difficult. The PC and home consoles are a little more evenly matched.

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I am a dreamer, I'll give you that. And why would you think I'd call you an idiot? C'mon, I'm a pretty nice guy :)

Anyway, I know for myself and some others, PSP and DS just has no appeal whatsoever anymore. I refuse to shell out 400$ for something that has 40$ games that may or may not suck. I get the same level or even better level of enjoyment from a 1$ iphone game that I can carry a library of games on, needs no cartridge/disc/etc.. and also acts as a phone/web browser/notepad/camera/etc..

I just don't see the appeal. Sure they're cool devices, but name one game from the DS or PSP that will be mentioned again in 10 years. Theres no innovation here, just marketing, and you're eating it up in shovel loads.

20. MrSnap

MrSnap Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Hopefully the PSP version will blow both the DS and iPhone versions out of the water.

http://kotaku.com/5285177/assassins-creed-psp-looksfamiliar

Dedicated portable gaming devices aren't close to being dead. Nokia has been trying for years but the N-gage was pretty terrible to begin with. Apple has a certifiable hit on their hands with the iPhone, the first true phone that can be considered a game platform. For me at least, the iPhone is more of a mini-laptop (or netbook) than a portable gaming device. When I travel, I still bring either my DS or my PSP along.

There are some great time wasters on the iPhone platform that happen to be very good games. I like being able to whip out my phone and play a decent game while waiting in line somewhere or when I've got a gaming itch for 15 minutes.

In the end though, I like the tactical feel of the PSP or DS in my hands over holding an iPhone like a virtual controller.