Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 AM

Here is a gross example of the lack of precision in a game which inherently demands precision from the player.

Without spoilers, I can tell you that the solution to this level (World 2 Level 14 Stingray) requires precise symmetry in your folds. Yet, as you can see in this image, the target Origami shape does NOT EVEN lie symmetrically with respect to the diagonal line on the virtual square paper.

This image was constructed by importing a screencap of the level from the iPad to Photoshop WITHOUT any scaling. I then cropped the virtual paper out. The size of the virtual paper was 1348 x 1348 pixels (including the 2-pixel border). This finding confirms that the virtual paper was a true square. I then drew a non-aliased reference line from corner to corner. The diagonal line was carefully interrogated, pixel by pixel, to make sure that it was truly diagonal (each pixel in the line is truly diagonal to its neighboring pixel(s)).

If the target Origami shape is correctly positioned, then the apex of the shape near the top right corner should lie EXACTLY on the reference line. You can see that the shape is off center. Consequently, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to fold the paper to obtain a true symmetrical pattern while covering the entire shape. Instead, you need to deliberately "misfold" one side slightly to cover the misaligned shape.

For the purpose of posting the image in this thread, I had to rescale it to a smaller size to fit. For those who are interested in the unscaled version to verify my findings, please contact me.

All can I say is... Are you kidding me? Is this careless work or deliberate design?

Last edited by y2kmp3; 07-09-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I haven't noticed the above issue, (not that far yet) but the game tends to slide. When you go to release your finger, (or in my case a stylus) you always get a small amount of slide on release for the folds. This leads to a lot of undoing to get your scores up. I couldn't tell exactly what was happening until I started using the stylus since a finger blocks the fold more.
It's still a good game, (especially for free) so far anyway.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:27 AM

Update:

I finally finished the game. I want to leave a final impression so that other gamers who may want to give this game a try will be probably WARNED about this game.

This is a game in which a CLUMSY and HORRIBLE interface literally ruined an otherwise great premise for a game based on the art of origami.

Aside from numerous frequent game freezes and crashes, what drives me utterly frustrated by this game is that the game "LIES" about the shape of the target origami which the player needs to complete. I was unnecessarily stuck on two puzzles (Pack 3 - Level 22 and Level 24) because there were edges in the outlines for those levels that were literally impossible to form. Indeed, when I eventually solved the levels (imperfectly) and then used the hints to reveal the "stock" solutions, I discovered that even the stock solutions did not conform to those edges. What the heck? In these particular levels, those edges were extremely important because they hinted at certain folds. As the game conveniently discards the need to comply with some edges whenever it suits itself, the player is left wondering if other edges are handled the same way by the game (even if the misalignments are small). It makes the game UNFAIRLY & UNNECESSARILY DIFFICULT because it is deliberately giving the player FALSE information on attacking the levels. The target shapes are arbitrary by nature, so there is NO REASON that the designer should "LIE" about these folds and not draw the target shapes exactly as they should be. It is either a deliberate act of omission or a serious sign of careless design. For a game that entirely relies on a mechanic which inherently requires precision, this oversight is a complete FAIL.

My previous comment -

I am feeling increasingly disappointed by the "quality' of the puzzles in the later parts of the game, beginning with the latter puzzles in the second pack. This is in addition to the lack of precision of the origami drawing traced on the paper as explained in my previous post.

The target shapes are obscure, requiring many (at least in the ones I managed to solve) "off-axis" folds. Rather than being "clever", these puzzle shapes come across as if someone is just folding a piece of paper by trial and error to come up with some "resemblance" to a recognizable shape and then turn it into a puzzle. The problem with this design approach is that it omits the goal of the game that the player can "deduce" the steps needed to make the shape from its outline. It is a well known fact that it is easy to make a origami with a complex shape that is near impossible to unravel. With real-life origami, the visible paper layering can give a clue to how the folds are done. In this game, however, since this layering is not observed, it adds another level of difficulty to the already challenging puzzles. Making the puzzles that are obscurely shaped does not necessarily make the game fun and challenging if the puzzles themselves lack cleverness.

It reminds me of those procedurally generated sliding block puzzles in which it is easy to generate a highly complex puzzle that requires hundreds of steps to solve. It is easy to make difficult puzzles, but those puzzles are not fun to solve because there is no "clever" heuristic to discovery to master it.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 07-21-2014 at 09:16 AM..