GeoVertex - Game Creator

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by touchDev192, Mar 13, 2013.

1. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    #1 touchDev192, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Hi everyone!

EDIT: This game has now been released, please refer to the new thread here:
    New Thread!

I'm here to announce my upcoming game, GeoVertex! It's a game creator, and unlike others like it, has no pre-done templates to follow, allowing you the freedom to create any type of game you can think of with whats available.

It comes with fully integrated online sharing, allowing you to share your creations and play other peoples, complete with a high score for each game and a rating out of 5. So if you don't like creating, you can just download other peoples levels and jump right in!

Features:
    • A large selection of attributes to choose from to add to your objects.
    • Integrated physics engine, including joints (great for creating vehicles!).
    • Custom HUD, allowing you to choose what your buttons look like, and where they are.
    • A selection of shapes that you can scale, stretch and rotate to create your game objects.
    • Quick loading times, so no having to wait around for levels to load.
    • Many different game types can be created, from jumping games, to platformers, to mazes, and many more.
    • Online sharing, allowing you to share your games, and play other peoples.
    • Local score boards, and a global high score for each game created.
    • Fully universal, play on any device, and scale the games you create to fit any device you are using.
    • Future updates to add even more attributes and features.

Now while you may not be able to create absolutely every type of game there is, there is still a lot of freedom to create lots of different games, and if there are any features that you need to create a certain game that you are thinking about, then all you have to do is let me know, and I can add it to my list for future updates!

So for example, you can't currently make tower defence games, but I have already planned to add the features required to do so after someone requested it! So all you have to do is ask!

Anyway, check out this trailer and let me know what you think!

The game has been submitted, and so long as there aren't any problems, will be released within a couple of weeks!

So feel free to ask any questions!

UPDATE: for those of you who don't want to read through every page, there's a list of attributes you can use in the game on page 2, post #16. There are some tutorial videos to show you how some of the features work on page 4. Lastly there is a video on page 5 showing a quick walking robot and tank I made.

STATUS: as mentioned on page 5, post #50 (where there's a better explanation) the app has been rejected, and what Apple said, in relation to the level files you can download, "the contents of these files include sufficient scripting of object interaction that these are not appropriate for downloading into the app" (I honestly think this is stupid and don't see any reason the files wouldn't be appropriate!). I'm still looking into it, but online level sharing is seeming less likely. I've proposed a solution in the post on page 5, so would be good to get some feedback for that.. but basically the only difference will be that you'll have to wait a couple of weeks at a time for new games to be added (which will then be included locally with an update, so no downloading), but you'll still get high scores, ratings and sorting just like before. (unless of course Apple has a problem with that as well, but I gather they won't)

2. Linx550

Linx550 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    This looks awesome,What's the price?

3. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    The initial price will be £0.69/$0.99, whether that will increase after a few days... I havent decided yet! But i'll be sure to let everyone know before its released!

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    #4 Pocketnova, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    YES Instabuy! Looking amazing!!!

5. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks, thats just what I like to be reading!! :D

Also, at some point in the next couple of days, I'll try to post a list of all the different attributes that can be added to an object, so you can start to get an idea of what you might be able to create. (so basically you create your objects, add attributes, such as movement, physics etc, and then put as many of those objects into the word as you want)

Until then though, for those of you who are interested, it would be great to get an idea of the sort of attributes you'd all like to see, and maybe if they're not included already, I can add them to the first update!

6. colbycheese

colbycheese Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Looks awesome! And can't beat the price :D

7. lowridacarlos

lowridacarlos New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Gonna check this one out, when it ocmes out :)

8. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Hmm...interesting.

9. Linx550

Dec 28, 2012
    I think this is extremely complicated but how about adding a programmable character? You could make cool quests and stuff.

10. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks for all the replies! :D

And yes there are a lot of aspects of this game which can be complex, like setting up triggers or joints, but most of the more basic features are quite simple to use! But its a very open game creator, and for it to be that way, it has to be quite complex! and it will therefore require some learning to master it and make the most of it. Especially if you want to make a more complex game!

And there are help files for every aspect of the game included, as well as some tutorial videos which are streamed from youtube, and i'll also be doing some guides on the website if there are specific things people want.

So what do you mean when you say about having a programmable character? In what way would you want to program the player? And what sort of quests were you thinking about? So that i can get an idea of what would need adding!

Thanks again for all the replies! Keep em coming!!

11. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Hey touchDev192, this looks fantastic. Looking forward to having a play around with this.
    Do we have the ability to play around with sound to create sound effects or a sound track or even music based games?

12. Linx550

Dec 28, 2012
    Kind of hard to explain, But I'll try my best.
    Maybe we could set a certain joint to a dpad (Perhaps a joy stick?) that would be placed anywhere but you could edit the strength (A motor kind of) And for quests,If the character "programming" could be added that possibilities would be infinite.

13. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks! and creating sound effects / background music isn't something I can do, and I can't really afford to have it done professionally, so what I've done until I can get some decent music created is to include some royalty free sound effects I've found. So basically you can add sound effects from the current selection to any object you create, and choose which condition the sound effect will play, such as collision, death, when created etc, and you can also adjust the pitch, pan and gain to get some different sounds.

I've tried to include a variety, but this is something I want to add to when I can get some proper sounds made. As with music for the background, there's nothing for that I'm afraid, but I was wondering about creating a music editor similar to melodica and all the other apps like that, but the problem with that is that you'd then have a repeating tune which could get annoying! what do you think? Otherwise I'll wait till I can afford to get some decent music tracks created and add those as options. But I'm doing this by myself, and sound just isn't something I'm good at! I'd love to create a decent sound editor for it though, and it's definitely something that's on my list!

Currently, there's no way to do a joystick, although thats a good idea for a future update! What there is however, is buttons which can be linked to joint motors. So for example the bike in the trailer has two wheels attached with rotation joints, and the buttons link to the main body of the bike and can control the power and speed of those joint motors, with either positive or negative speeds for backwards or forwards. I'm not great at explaining things, but hopefully you see what I mean!

Also, you can assign a player attribute to a single object, which allows you to follow that object with the camera, and have enemies attack it, and bullets moving towards it (or any other object), and if it dies, the game ends.... so you could for example make a platform game, collecting objects for more points, avoiding obstacles etc, and when you get to a certain point, you complete the game... is that the sort of thing you mean?

Also what you said about programming gave me an idea about have a very simply script sort of thing, so for example, add a script attribute, and type something like:
    move left 100, wait 2 seconds, move up 50, die
    to allow objects to do more complex sequences... but does this sound like something that might interest anyone? Or I could make it more simple by removing the need to type these, and instead allow people to choose from a selection?

Let me know what you think!

14. Linx550

Dec 28, 2012
    You couldn't have explained it better,And the idea for the script sounds amazing. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be interested. Can't wait for this game to come out!

15. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks, It's nice to see people looking forward to this game! Later on today I'll post a list of all the attributes you'll be able to add to the objects.

16. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Ok, so as promised.. here's the list of attributes for you to experiment with:

Physics Based Attributes:
    Physics
    Main Joint - used to let other joints know what to join to
    Rotation Joint
    Distance Joint
    Prismatic Joint
    Fixed Joint
    Friction
    No Rotation
    Rotation Damping
    Flingable

Other Attributes:
    Movement - including path, direction, or to enemy/player
    Speed
    Rotation
    Is Enemy
    Is Player
    Health
    Damage
    Lifespan
    Offscreen
    Invulnerable
    Invisible
    Fading
    Endpoint - if player reachers this, game is completed
    On Death - allows giving/taking points/health after dying
    On Close - same as above but when closing
    Can Move - allows moving the object in-game
    Can Rotate - allows rotating object in-game
    Weapon - adds a weapon to the object
    Is Bullet - makes this object a bullet (weapons need bullets after all!)
    Laser
    Depth
    Instant Spawn
    Object ID
    Spawn ID
    Random Spawn
    Is Trigger
    Trigger Action
    Sound Effect
    Text Label

HUD Based Attributes:
    Fire Button
    Jump Button
    Motor Button
    Main Menu
    Score Label
    Health Label

Ok so there you have it! 45 attributes for you to play with... and if you want any more information on any of these, then do ask!

Also, currently planned future attributes:
    -Script
    -Joypad
    as well as additions to current attributes

And if you can think of any others you think would be useful, or just plain fun to use, then just let me know!

17. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Wow, there sure are a lot of attributes to play with. Is there any plans to include a tutorial, or some pre-made games that give examples on how to implement each feature? Or will it simply be a case of just mess with it till you figure it out? Personally I will probably just use this to download the games that others will make, but if I get the urge to be creative, it would be nice to know how to use the editor too.

18. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    There are some short tutorial videos, which can be streamed from within the app (just make sure you're on wi-fi!), which show some basics, such as creating some terrain, joints, triggers, and more. Also, I've created a guide section on the website, where I will add written tutorials for people to follow along with, showing more complex things. I'd like to wait to see what sort of guides people want before I create them though. But they will show the steps of creating a full working game.

Also, there won't be games actually included with the app... however there are a small number of games available that I've created (with my limited creativity), which you can download as soon as you get the app (I never know whether to call this an app or a game!). So then you'll be able to see how they work and even improve them and upload them again! Also, you can save groups of objects from one game, and then use them in any of your other games (in case there's a more complex object you like in a game you download)

Just one word of warning though, and I do mention this in the help files, but in case no one reads them (and lets face it, not a lot of people do!), if you edit a downloaded world (and save it), you can't contribute to the high score, unless you re-download it, to prevent cheating. And by default auto saving is on for the editor, so unless you turn it off in the options, you shouldn't edit a level that you're trying to beat a high score for!

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Any word on release date?

20. touchDev192

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Well it's currently in review, so hopefully tomorrow or within a couple of days so long as there aren't any problems! Maybe even later tonight, as it entered review this morning (UK). But I'll be sure to give an update as soon as I find out!