Which is better: iPad mini or iPad Air?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Deewin, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Which tablet do you find games more enjoyable on? I sold my 3rd gen ipad for the mini and haven't looked backed since because I like how the mini is so much lighter. But the Air is also ridiculously light! I have the Mini with retina right now and I'm loving Hearthstone on it. But I can't help but wonder how much nicer it would be on the Air with bigger screen and better color contrast...

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I didn't know that the air has better color contrast. Are you sure?

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    It's personal preference really, I have the first gen mini which is going strong and my daughter has the ipad2. We are both saving for upgrades, I'll be sticking with the mini for it's size and portability and shell go for whatever full sized model is out at the time cos she likes the bigger screen.

4. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    If you prefer portability, go with the iPad Mini.
    If you prefer the bigger screen, Air it is.
    That's my take. Me, I have always wanted a Mini since I can take it almost anywhere that I'd like. :)

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #5 Gov, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    I want a widescreen ipad. Like the shape of an iPhone 5. 16:9 is better screen shape than the ipads square boxy screen look. Plus it creates ugly borders at the top and bottom of clips when watching movies and possibly games.

6. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    The gamut is not as good on the mini according to folks with both and tests done on both. Personally I did a quick side by side and didn't really notice a huge difference in colors. Of course they were both in demo mode though.

That being said if I were to buy another iPad it would probably be the mini because it seems like it would be easier to handle with games. Like with platformers especially. Devs now a days seem to add movable controls but some from the past are still fixed (I'm looking at you, Storm in a Teacup!) and they're awkward to play.

7. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I love my ipad mini with retina. I highly recommend it. I hope that the next version comes out soon because I need the 128gb version.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah thoose pesky borders when playing games. Annoying.

I personally actually like the colors better on the rmini compared to the air since more gamut does not always mean a more realistic color reproduction.

In alot of games on the air (as on previous ipads) the colors feel way too saturation feeling sometimes more neonish..

But the this is something you probably get used too if you dont switch devices constantly and see the differences all the time.

Of course retina on the mini is gorgeous ;)

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I would go with Air for superiority in strategy games. If those are your cup of tea, bigger is better. Also, typing.

10. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Got news for you..... that can happen with any movie..... they don't all shoot in the exact same aspect ratio.

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    strategy games? how so?

typing? split keyboard on the mini is alot more enjoyable on the small one even with the shaved off weight of the air, the air is in comparsion still a fatty.

12. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The only problem with the mini is that it's a little more difficult to play Crabitron.

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I ensure you that it doesn`t matter if you choose the iPad Air or the iPad Mini with Retina if it comes to Games like HearthStone and similar Games since those Games look on both iDevices great.

[​IMG]

If I were you I would choose the iDevice that would fit better your needs:

If you want to use your iDevice more while being on the road or wearing it with you on the way to School/Work I would choose the iPad Mini with Retina instead of the iPad Air since the extra Weight and the Size would probably sooner or latter become a handicap for you if you want to always wear it around.

If you want to use it more as a second Screen to watch Movies or play the newest Shooter also in the upcoming next (two) Years without any hassle I would go with the iPad Air.

Overall both iDevices are great and worth it, it`s just that one might better fit what you want to do with it.

14. FlyinWolves

FlyinWolves New Member

I personally prefer iPad mini. But both devices are fantastic. If you want to use your iPad mostly at home, it might be a better idea to go with Air, if you plan to take it with you everywhere, it is better to buy Mini, IMO

15. aiza55

aiza55 Member

May 13, 2014
    IPad Air. Its faster and better technology.

16. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    16:9 tabletes are basically unusable in landscape except for games and movies. I have a Nexus 7 which I love and I'd kill for it to be 4:3.