App "Waiting for Review"

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bomber, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Two of our apps are now in "Waiting for Review" and the other two "In Review", so it looks like we now see when apple is watching at the app. Also there is a status history. I'm wondering if it will make it easier to track what is happening with the app in the black hole (app store review headquarter).

2. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Cool! Thanks for pointing this out. This should make things more transparent.

3. sunwind

sunwind Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Where can I see the status history option? Cannot find it on iTunes Connect. Thanks.

4. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    It should be next to your app in Manage Applications... it only shows up for my app that is in review...

5. sunwind

sunwind Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Yup. Seen it. Many thanks.

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Thanks Bomber this is great. An extra piece of information for developers to know when their app might go live. Puzzle Dice went "In Review on the 4th of Nov. (today) I will count the days before it goes live, to get an idea how long it takes. If more of you could do this that would be great.

7. Ath

Ath New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    It only showed up for me, when I changed "Release Date" from yesterday to today (btw this doesn't put me on the end of the queue right?).

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    No it shouldn't.

Is your app still in review or has it been released?

I changed the app release date right after the update was released... then my app's release date was changed to september. :confused: part of today's weirdness in the app store.

9. Ath

Ath New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Still in review, since yesterday. I've the following in Status History:

Last Modified : 22 October 2009 (this is the date that I resubmitted the binary after a phone call I received from Apple)

Date User Status
    November 04, 2009 17:18 [email protected] In Review

10. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Looks good. I think it will be alright as long as you don't change the release date after it is approved... I think that's what caused our problem.

11. Thanks for the update. Just checked, and our third game is indeed "In Review" (although I'd expect that, since it's been about two weeks now)...

12. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    My update went from Waiting for Review to In Review and it's only been a week.

Certainly this is better than the old system :)

13. Warder

Warder Active Member

When I created my game Block Busting Planet Panic, I used pinchmedia.com to track users. This was at least useful to see when Apple actually opened the app. It sat there "in review" for over a week before Apple even opened it.

14. That seems largely due to under-staffing. It might be *slightly* better now, but as of August 2009, Apple had 40 full-time trained reviewers and was receiving 8,500 app/update submissions a week, according to its response to question #6 of the FCC's inquiry of Apple's rejection of Google Voice: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/apple-answers-fcc-questions/.

Another site did a back-of-the-envelope calculation that indicated Apple could only spend 5-6 minutes per app to get through that sort of backlog...

15. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Only 2 Days!

I submitted my game Puzzle Dice 2 weeks ago. I read this thread and I was happy to see a warning system (or confirmation) that the app is actually being reviewed.

Puzzle Dice showed "In Review Status" Nov. 4

One Day Later it is in the app store.

Hopefully this will help

16. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i've also seen similar things with highscore submission. the first highscore submitted is typically an apple employee :) once you check the web logs; you can also identify where it came from as well.

17. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    two issues here:

- developers shouldn't submit updates like crazy
    - apple should hire more people to review (maybe in each zone?)

i think the biggest issue is that developers flood the review system with updates; maybe apple should put a limit on how many times an application can be updated; or only allow updates that fix software issues. or even charge for reviewing updates.

the issue is that developers dont get a chance to get new applications out; because existing developers flood the system with update requests.

18. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Are you mad? That's one of the major benifits of the App Store - and updates are great for the end user. Apple, a multi-billion dollar company, needs more reviewers, and that's that.

19. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i've seen apps that update every week. its crazy. while updates can be useful; maybe there should be a limit placed on them and since to ensure they are decent updates (fix a number of issues or introduce many new features) and not small feature creep.

some developers are abusing the system.

20. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #20 MrBlue, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    If Apple hires 10,000 reviewers and every update request goes through after 24 hrs, what you would see is the app store even worse than it is today. It's trivial to just setup a script to resubmit a new update everyday. Apps would be lucky to even have 10 mins on the new release list. Users would be frustrated at having a new update everyday. AT&T would be flooded with even more data downloads.

I don't think more reviewers is the solution.