"on rails" gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by YouSuckDude, Nov 27, 2010.

1. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    what does "on rails" mean? i tryed googling it but couldn't find an answer...is rails a type of graphics engine or something?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It means the game has a predefined path of movement already and you're not allowed to control where you go.

3. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    "On rails" games are usually first person style games but instead of being able to walk wherever you want your character has a preprogrammed path that they follow and you mainly control aiming...

examples on IOS are Doom Resurrection and Rage...

examples from the olden days are Pokemon Snap, Star Blade, Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox on snes

does that help?

4. YouSuckDude

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    yeah i understand thanks. those types of games suck...whats all the hype about with RAGE then? i doubt many people like it...

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    loved it. Loved Doom resurrection too.

6. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    as with all games it come down to a matter of taste!

Personally.. sometimes I'm in the mood for a quick target shooting game and other times I enjoy a "real" FPS.

Mostly comes down to the amount of time I have to play. If I'm on a flight or something I prefer a longer more involved kind of game but if I'm makin a poop I prefer something that doesn't require as much effort!

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Hahaha! :D

Amen.

Great graphics.

Some people like it. But I bet most people only tolerate it, and are more forgiving of the gameplay because of the graphics and the big names attached to it.

8. YouSuckDude

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    lol thanks for the responses. and yeah you're right it is a matter of opinion...i mean obviously SOME people enjoy those types of games. i personally like the freedom of being able to control my character...video games where you have to watch your character move just dont feel like video games to me... :/

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1 , definitely man.

10. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Speak for yourself man. A lot of people couldn't care if it's on rails or not or if it's from a big company or not, as long as the game is fun.

11. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    #11 Alienmario, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    this is the problem of appstore
    most of buyers find 99 cent games fun enough so we can't have real titles :/

maybe there is still a chance(meh after seeing IB going as childish slashing game or wait-for bus), appstore is big

12. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Sure, a lot of people don't mind, but when given the choice between a rail shooter and a free roaming shooter, most people would probably side with the free roaming shooter.

13. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Why is that a problem? Isn't the point of games for fun? Does a big game automatically supply more fun than a little game?

If gamers are content with the games offered, nothing is wrong. The purpose of games are to provide fun and if that goal is being accomplished, nothing needs to be changed.

If the majority of the idevice gamers finally grow tired of these smaller titles and want something big, the companies will listen, see the potential in this console and start producing big name games.

Oh and, how is an onrail game any more 'childish' than a free roaming game?

14. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    while flash-like games may be good for some, there is no balance with deep games
    2) i was talking about IB because every kid can slide finger on screen to kill an enemy

15. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    9 year olds play Halo.

16. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Some of the best games in history have been on rails.

Starfox, and Panzer Dragoon for example.

It's a matter of design and gameplay. A free roam game can suck too if it's poorly designed and no fun to play.