Retina display games wishlist.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Sep 11, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    #1 chickdigger802, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    What games do you have or want to pick up that you wish for higher res graphics?

Give some reasonable ones ie: games that have ipad versions so high res assets already exist.

So ya my list.

- GT racing
    - Bruce Lee
    - 9 innings 2011
    - GTA chinatown wars
    - Warpgate

2. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Fruit Ninja
    Monster Dash
    Angry Birds
    Back Breaker

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Not too many then.

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Retina display is great and all, but do I really want to start most of these games over again, from the beginning? Not really. Like a lot of people, people who upgraded to an iphone 4, my original save states for these games exist on another device. In my case, they are all on my 3rd generation ipod touch. For every game that gets a Retina display update, I will have to start playing the game all over again, from the beginning.

I especially don't want to start GTA:Chinatown Wars all the way over from the beginning again. Dear god, not again.

5. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Your save states are backed up in iTunes so you don't lose them when upgrading.

The Retina display becomes a problem when your favorite game(s) aren't updated, and you stop playing them because they're ugly now. That happened for me with PES.. I was playing all the time until I got the i4, now I don't play at all.

I vote for PES, and Zombie Infection (because I didn't finish it and it's like the only GL game they didn't bother to update.) Oh and NHL2K would be great too. Thanks!

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Off the top of my head, Robot Unicorn Attack.

7. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I upgaded to iphone 4 and restored from my backup and GTA had all my saves still. same with every other game. no need to re-start (thank god!)

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I setup my iPhone as a new device, mainly because I wanted to start fresh. I had my iPod backup, but who knows what JB-related scraps are in there. Sucks having to start over in my games, but at least I'm going back to some I haven't played in awhile [though I haven't touched GTA yet, think I'm gonna wait [[and hope]] for a RD update]

9. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    DDPR wont get a retina update as cave stated the orinigal game has also no high res. is it acutally that bad? can you post a screenshot somehow - I heard it looks great

10. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Many of us are just now getting into iPhone/Touch gaming, so yes this does matter to a large segment of people. Adding Retina display support to your app will certainly increase the life of the product and increase sales.

11. ChrisMayer

ChrisMayer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Developer / Designer
    Chichester, UK
    need for speed shift would be great, however being EA i won't be holding my breath.

12. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    EDGE!!!!
    Canabalt
    Robot Unicorn Attack

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #13 dumaz1000, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    I was pointing out the fact that retina updates are not neccessarily great for people who have upgraded. More people have upgraded, overall, I'm guessing; either that or they might be buying their first iPhone, but they already own an ipod touch. Yes, the iphone 4 is the first idevice for some people. The fact that saves cannot be stored or transfered without a jailbreak really puts a damper on the whole retina update as a whole. Overall, I don't think retina updates increase a developers profits much anyway. Hence, why there hasn't been all that many. There really isn't much of a cry for backward retina compatability, to be honest.

Of course there will always be a percentage of people who want them. I just think there are too many people left in the same boat as I am. I'm not anywhere near the only person.

If the saves could be transfered, there would be a lot more people demanding these updates. There really is no legitimate reason for why Apple has elected to limit save states the way that they have. That's the worse part.

Although, if there was a retina display only section in the appstore, then perhaps sales would increase for older games that have just recently added retina support. Sadly, there isnt; and that leaves me to doubt whether the sales numbers for games that have been around for a while actually increase due to these retina updates.

14. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Still don't see your argument because as far as I can tell, you simply load the backup of your old iphone/ipod touch to your new device and all your save files transfer over unless they are saved weird (cough* com2us games >.>).

And for developers that have ipad versions this shouldn't be much of an issue because they already have the higher res polygons/sprites which they could just transfer over.

And as of right now, reviewers on itunes seems to dock points if the games look too blurry or what not on retina display devices, so there is really no harm to retroactively add support for those =P

15. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    CoD Zombies
    Chinatown Wars

16. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    The one game I want to play but can't stand on iphone4 is the star wars tower defense game it's fun and all but looked bad in my old iPhone.

17. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Adding The Hero because the HD version just hit =P

18. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The settlers. Best iphone game...

19. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'm pretty certain Chinatown will get a Retina update.

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    robot unicorn attack