Buying In app purchases from the computer

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Professor jermiah, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Professor jermiah

Professor jermiah Active Member

Dec 30, 2013
    #1 Professor jermiah, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    I think it would be nice to buy IAPs through the computer instead exclusively through the app. I don't know if it can actually work, but it would be a plus. Feel free to tell me how this wouldn't work, because i searched this thing on google and came back with really nothing related. ( so I just checked google again, it appears you can only buy IAPs through macs:( i still wonder if they could do this for any computer not just macs)

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    You can't currently buy in-app purchases ANYWHERE except that app - computer, iPhone or otherwise. That's kinda implicit in the name "in-app purchase".

If they let you buy them outside the app, they wouldn't be in-app purchases anymore, would they? ;)

Seriously though, technically speaking, there are a few ways to get IAPs outside of iOS apps. Games with Mac App Store ports and shared iCloud saves generally split currency between the versions - unlocking coins or something on the Mac will transfer to the iPhone and iPad.

Also, developers themselves can now offer promo codes for IAP content, which is relatively new.

I'm not sure there is too much of a demand for a way for users to purchase things related to apps from outside those apps, though. I'll admit I haven't heard this request before.

3. Professor jermiah

Professor jermiah Active Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I know IAPs are called what they are, but sometimes I have problems downloading IAP through my Ipod and its frustrating, and I figured if something like this was there, it would solve the problem. And sometimes the IAPs are rather lengthy to download though, doing it through the computer would be faster though. And well its nice hearing that there are other ways to get IAP beside through the app itself.

Thanks for hearing me out though:D