Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    yes i'm noticing the same thing. i've been having to spam my attack button to keep from dying. tho i've never played the original so i can't say if wait is supposed to be like this.

2. Kaboomie

Kaboomie New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just downloaded the game onto my iPhone 3GS and when I try to play it it just goes to a black screen. I can adjust the volume and go back to the main menu with no problem, but it just never does load or show any signs that it might be loading. I tried all my other games again to see if maybe they wouldn't work either but they are perfectly fine. I'm not entirely sure what would be the problem, since I'm not an iPhone expert, but I'd really appreciate someone helping me out with this.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It is -- just checked on the DS version.

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks. Odd, but I guess not really an issue once you get used to combat anyway.

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    so.. how does it play on the ipad in 2x mode ?
    are the graphics even worse then

6. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    If you have to, slow down the battle speed to the lowest possible. That gives you more time to react.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The difference between "Active" and "Wait" is not that "Wait" makes the fights turn-based, but rather the battle pauses when you have a spell/item menu open. When the game is set to "Active", the fight continues even while you're scrolling through and choosing skills or techniques to use.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks for the clarification. I've always played the game with the Active option ;).

9. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    'Wait' means that the enemies are paused when you're in an item/magic menu. 'Active' means they are not.

10. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Game Impressions

I don't want to sort through twenty pages of posts, but from what I glanced here, and on iTunes, it sounds to me like most people feel that the game was ported poorly.

That's certainly my impression as well. The upscaling was handled poorly, and the controls are beyond sloppy. None of it had to be that way either. Aside from the text and menus, it feels like this port was slapped together over night. At least the DS version had some love put into it.

Personally the controls bother me more than anything. It's extremely annoying to walk into walls, overshoot doors, and float past townspeople you wish to talk to.

I'd definitely put this one on hold. There are many, far better versions of this game available elsewhere. There's no need to justify $10 to play the lamest version available. Either wait for a control fix or sale.

Once again I feel this just proves how clueless SE is in regards to iPhone development. I almost want to believe the magic that was Chaos Rings happened to be an accident. I'm not sure if these are being handled internally or not, but if they're outsourcing these then SE really needs to enforce stricter quality controls on these titles.

11. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    So is the general consensus a no go?

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There is no general consensus.

13. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    To be entirely honest, as one who has a healthy amount of nostalgia for this game, I do not find any of the issues mentioned so far to be a problem enough to stop me from enjoying the game.

I have not regretted my purchase, but be wary if you feel your nostalgia is not strong enough.

14. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I can't think of too many compelling reasons to buy this again instead of pulling out my DS and playing it again on there, with (apparently) better controls. Actually, I'm not sure I can think of any at all.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Better save system, slightly better UI (IMO). That's about it.

16. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I've never played chrono trigger.
    I'm a fan of RPGs, but haven't played too many JRPGs.
    Is this still a good first classic JRPG for me?

Or should I buy the DS version on amazon?

I think I'm going for this game or Ghost Trick which was released in Japan. I have a japanese itunes acct, so I might buy that instead...?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If you can get the DS version for less than $15 (and you use your DS regularly), I would go for that version. I personally prefer to carry my iPhone, so the iOS version works for me. But your mileage will vary.

18. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I'm going to wait for some reviews.
    After a few roll out, I'll try to decide.

19. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    I made the mistake of buying ff3 for the iPhone and then staring at a iPad version less than 2 weeks later that wasn't universal.

-sits on hands and waits for iPad version this time-

20. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Well, definitely buy one or the other. Chrono Trigger is a game you absolutely shouldn't miss out on.